Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectCastro Castro Castro!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13342507&mesg_id=13342697
13342697, Castro Castro Castro!
Posted by stravinskian, Sat Aug-10-19 06:42 PM
I'm at the weird spot right now where I don't see any good options for the top of the ticket. But Castro is the obvious runningmate for just about anyone, and particularly Warren.

(I'd talk about him at the top of the ticket if not for those stubborn polls. But maybe there's time.)

Reeq is absolutely right that the ticket can't be two white people, and that we need black turnout. But there's also an opportunity for historically high hispanic turnout, which has a lot of room to grow and is consistently getting more and more important, even in red states that might move blue in the coming decades.

Speaking of which, Texas has been a dream state for Dems for my whole adult life. And while it's naive to think that putting Castro on the ticket would finally win the state for us, demographics and polls make it clear that we will win it eventually, and it's not outside the realm of possibility this time. When we do, it'll completely change the Electoral College situation.

Also, as I think you noted elsewhere, Castro brings at least some connection to the Obama administration (*and* he can get through a sentence without finding a way to say the opposite of what he meant to say). And generally as a former Cabinet member, he can speak as a representative for the pragmatic work of government. What I'm dancing around is: he's enough of an insider that he might be able to temper fears of Warren's radical side.