Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectWow, right-wing dark money groups are trolling this debate.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13337851&mesg_id=13340474
13340474, Wow, right-wing dark money groups are trolling this debate.
Posted by stravinskian, Wed Jun-26-19 07:45 PM
Just in the last half hour of pre-game coverage, there've been two ads from right-wing groups.

The first was from some anti-abortion group that started out with a claim that American consensus is that abortion should be legal only in the first 3 months, but "pro-choice politicians" are blocking that consensus (funny how they're even using our word at this point), calling for abortion to be legal "up until birth" and for taxpayer dollars to fund abortions. Personally I think abortion should be legal "up until birth" and that the Hyde amendment should be dropped if anyone can find a way to do it. But it's interesting that they're so confident that they're stating actual mainstream progressive positions in attack ads. This should make us worry. In the general election we need politicians who can thread a very tricky needle and get past unpopular positions without looking like they're selling out (or being accused, from the left, after the delegate race is effectively over, that they're selling out).

Of course I wanted to talk back to the TV about whether this anti-abortion group really wanted to push for their supposed "consensus" of legal abortion up to three months. Something tells me they would not be satisfied with it.

The other ad was a group blasting Medicare for All, and explicitly scaring people with the accusation that M4A would end private health insurance. Certain candidates have already confirmed this deeply unpopular position. It'll be a problem if our general election candidate is saddled with explicit claims that they'll take away EVERYONE's health insurance.