Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectiTunes sucks! Was in a listen to my own collection kinda mood BUT...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13337659
13337659, iTunes sucks! Was in a listen to my own collection kinda mood BUT...
Posted by Creole, Tue Jun-11-19 08:50 AM
iTunes is cutting off great songs in the middle of them playing.

Hit the shuffle button to let my phone's 10k songs just create the mood for the day. Didn't feel like streaming Tidal. But nooooooooooo... iTunes is messing up the mood.

What's the deal with this? And how do you fix the iTunes-deemed "corrupted" files?

13337661, wow. didn't realize people still used iTunes. You should transition away from it
Posted by FLUIDJ, Tue Jun-11-19 09:03 AM
honestly...
rumor has it that they're going to kill iTunes off with the next iOS release anyway.
13337662, i thought this was already confirmed
Posted by mista k5, Tue Jun-11-19 09:08 AM
13337663, Only did it today because I wanted to listen to what I have saved on my...
Posted by Creole, Tue Jun-11-19 09:11 AM
phone instead of the content on Tidal. I mainly stream nowadays but I did just want the vibe from the music I've got saved on my phone.

I wanted a real shuffle of all my music irrespective of genre.

Just know it went from Slum Village's "Jealousy" off of the Fantastic Vol 2 album right into Ellington's and Coltrane's "Take the Coltrane" off of their joint album. Then, it swung into Coltrane's "Naima" before bringing in "Dancewitme" by Maxwell.

Hopefully, when they kill off iTunes and spin it into three separate apps, I'm still able to listen to my own stuff. I dig Tidal when I wanna listen to albums and some of their curated playlists including the recently added Artist Radio station. I also dig it when it plays similar songs to the one I may be listening to. Don't feel like sitting around and creating my own playlists though. It would be nice if they allowed a subscriber to shuffle through all of their songs saved or downloaded in the user's collection.
13337671, Dang...that's one thing about Samsung Galaxy I love...it has a freestanding music
Posted by FLUIDJ, Tue Jun-11-19 09:50 AM
player still so that I can easily listen to non-streaming tracks.
I'm not sure, but maybe you can use Google Play Music and set it to play downloaded tracks only and it'll read from your internal storage?

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"
13337666, kill off itunes? like...how? Thats the money maker, or it was
Posted by double negative, Tue Jun-11-19 09:18 AM
13337672, I can't tell...assuming to push people to use their streaming service Apple Music
Posted by FLUIDJ, Tue Jun-11-19 09:52 AM
instead.
Def. going to be a weird transition for folks that have relied on iTunes for so many years.
These companies are making some very questionable moves with regards to how music is consumed. Google is pushing YouTube Music which is inferior to Google Play Music.

13337669, I have a library I've built playlists in and meticulously edited since 05
Posted by Nodima, Tue Jun-11-19 09:45 AM
247,000+ songs, too many memories to walk away. I've tried importing to things like Spotify in the past or some other offshoot Mc alternative a handful of years ago, but either the new app doesn't pull all the metadata, corrupts the artwork, or back to Spotify I'd let it work for an entire day whenever I tried it last and it's only gotten to the Bs or Cs in artists and I just lose patience because it wasn't even looking for the producer (composer), label (grouping) and sample (comments) tags so what's the point?

I guess it helps I have a Mac and I just listen to podcasts on my phone without syncing them to iTunes and don't use the Store, so even as bloated as the library is since my iTunes never has to think about licenses or the cloud or anything it still runs shockingly smooth all things considered.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
13337673, Yeah, I gave up keeping an organized library years ago. But I still maintain a hard
Posted by FLUIDJ, Tue Jun-11-19 09:56 AM
drive full of tracks that I "own".
Again...The fact that Samsung still has a pretty decent stand alone music app on their phones is one of the things that keeps me in their camp. It REALLY came in handy last month too...
I did a 10mile race and couldn't get a decent cell phone signal to stream, so I was able to just open the music app and shuffle the 20+GB of music that I keep stored on my microSD card. I was watching a TON of racers using iPhones that were clearly frustrated that they couldn't stream any music.

13337687, What do you use instead?
Posted by Bluebear, Tue Jun-11-19 11:23 AM
13337701, all thats happening is that its turning into an app called "music"
Posted by fontgangsta, Tue Jun-11-19 12:22 PM
itunes has just become a catchall for media, and they're splitting them up into their own apps - the sky isnt falling or anything.

I for one use itunes exclusively. 33k+ songs in my library, organized into playlists, all files in the cloud and accessible from all my devices.
13337717, So, what have you done when a song just cuts off mid-groove?
Posted by Creole, Tue Jun-11-19 01:23 PM
That is the worst! I was grooving to some Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes and Teddy warblin'...

Then, all of a sudden, I HEAR NOT A DAMNED THING BUT THE TRACK SKIP TO THE NEXT ONE.
13337775, Never happened to me
Posted by fontgangsta, Tue Jun-11-19 04:51 PM
Honestly not sure what’s up w that
13337857, I use it. and it factors heavily into the use of music on my ANDROID phone
Posted by Dr Claw, Wed Jun-12-19 10:31 AM
(I use the iSyncr app to get it all, including playlists over)

never saw what the huge deal is besides really detailed BS that the average user doesn't really deal with.

13337665, WHAT, and I cannot stress this enough, ARE THOOOSE!?
Posted by double negative, Tue Jun-11-19 09:18 AM
you know there are better ways to punish yourself right?
13337674, I feel u. Wanting a shuffe of YOUR collection and not a systems
Posted by rdhull, Tue Jun-11-19 10:22 AM
Im on that itunes too
13337675, are these songs you manually placed on the phone?
Posted by mista k5, Tue Jun-11-19 10:35 AM
or ones that synced however yall iphone/itunes users do?

ive been rocking with my thumbs up auto playlist on google music lately. i swear some songs are ending halfway through. dont know if its local ones or ones that are streaming.

i know goole music does let you play only downloaded and shuffle all songs.
13337676, yes..downlaoded cd's to itunes system/phone
Posted by rdhull, Tue Jun-11-19 10:37 AM
>or one that synced however yall iphone/itunes users do?
>
>ive been rocking with my thumbs up auto playlist on google
>music lately. i swear some songs are ending halfway through.
>dont know if its local ones or ones that are streaming.
>
>i know goole music does let you play only downloaded and
>shuffle all songs.
13337686, Manually synced via iTunes...
Posted by Creole, Tue Jun-11-19 11:18 AM
13337679, Was just talking about iTunes the other day
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Jun-11-19 10:46 AM
Rarely use it anymore but it has all my archived music.

and it sucks.

Always cutting off songs.
13337682, RE: Was just talking about iTunes the other day
Posted by rdhull, Tue Jun-11-19 10:49 AM
>Rarely use it anymore but it has all my archived music.
>
>and it sucks.
>
>Always cutting off songs.

Mine never cuts out but what happens when the change comes?

13337698, i fucking love spotify
Posted by GriftyMcgrift, Tue Jun-11-19 12:16 PM
that is all
13337710, I pay 5.99 a month for Tidal....
Posted by TR808, Tue Jun-11-19 12:52 PM
I love it.. kinda wish they would move the video and podcast content to its own separate things tho...

and I do miss listening to my 5000 mix cd's...
13337716, I love Tidal as well but this last part is what I was feeling this a.m.
Posted by Creole, Tue Jun-11-19 01:21 PM

>and I do miss listening to my 5000 mix cd's...
13337855, The number 1 thing I'd look at is if they are like that on the computer
Posted by Dr Claw, Wed Jun-12-19 10:30 AM
if they aren't, I'd find a way to delete them manually from the device (on the sync screen). Then turn syncing back on.

Worst case scenario: restore device and resync.

Are you running an iPhone... and if so, what version of iOS? On iOS11 I had some issues with songs getting the "scratches" in mid play. That was corrected in iOS12.
13338342, Apple is killing iTunes
Posted by BlakStaar, Fri Jun-14-19 12:24 PM
OKP is a music nerd site so I know there are tons of people here that could never fully commit to Spotify, Apple Music, Google Play, Amazon Music and Pandora.

We own too much ish that will never be on those apps.

I don't use the iTunes STORE, just the library feature to managed "owned" files. I stopped buying music from iTunes at many, many years ago and I only purchased files there on occassion. Thank God. My go-to for digital music purchases is Google Play and Bandcamp.

PITCHFORK
https://pitchfork.com/news/apple-confirms-the-end-of-itunes/

THE VERGE
https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/3/18650571/apple-itunes-rip-discontinued-macos-10-15-ipod-store-digital-music-wwdc-2019

"In its place will be three media streaming apps: Apple Music, Apple Podcasts, and Apple TV. In a statement, Apple clarifies that through the Music app, users will continue to “have access to their entire music library, whether they downloaded the songs, purchased them or ripped them from a CD.” The iTunes Music store will still be available." - Pitchfork
13338344, Good, iTunes is a steaming pile of dogshit
Posted by sectachrome86, Fri Jun-14-19 12:34 PM
I use Apple Music and have been praying for the death of iTunes and a redesigned AM app for years.
13338359, and note: for now... that's ONLY for MacOS (newest version and up)
Posted by Dr Claw, Fri Jun-14-19 01:12 PM
and they're not really killing it, but splitting it 3 ways like the iPhone apps are. Syncing has moved to Finder.

Windows is still using iTunes for now.