Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectWho DID NOT meet their fitness goals this year?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13337404
13337404, Who DID NOT meet their fitness goals this year?
Posted by handle, Sat Jun-08-19 03:07 PM
I just cancelled a hiking trip in August because I needed to lose about 45 pounds and only lost 30. (It's a half dome hike that last 4 days and hikes about 35 miles in that time, with a 40 pound pack.)

And that is 8 months of TRYING - which makes me very sad today.

Anyone else miss their goals this year??
13337405, First of all congrats on losing 30 lbs that's major!!!
Posted by FLUIDJ, Sat Jun-08-19 03:19 PM
I know this is a journey for you and I trust you won't let it discourage you from getting those extra 15 gone..

That trail ain't going nowhere so the hike can still happen when you're good and ready.
13337406, never do...thats the point
Posted by tomjohn29, Sat Jun-08-19 03:43 PM
set something impossible and try my best to reach it
13337407, the year ain't over yet!!!
Posted by shygurl, Sat Jun-08-19 04:00 PM
I have had a terrible year thus far (with weight and everything tbh), but we still have 6 months left. Still enough time to get to my goal.
13337414, Fell off the keto train...hard
Posted by bigkarma, Sat Jun-08-19 07:57 PM
I would use the excuse that life got in the way...son's first year of high school, promotion at work, wife had surgery...etc., but then I always run into the random dad who has a bunch of kids, demanding job, and yet still manages to eat religiously paleo and go to multiple Cross-Fit sessions every week.

Last summer I started eating keto, and working out 4-5 times a week. The weight was falling off and I was feeling great, but once my kid started school in the fall, I started a decline in working out. That time was taken up by carting him back and forth to school stuff and football. Then I fell off the keto train over the holidays...we went on a cruise. I ate like it was going out of style, deluding myself that I would start back as soon as we got home...I didn't.

The weight came back in spades, and I felt shittier than I did last summer.

I'm back on track now. I'm been intermittent fasting, the last few months, which is working and pretty sustainable. I'm not being as anal as I was about counting carbs and protein. I'm just eating a couple of clean, balanced meals a day, and not eating from 5pm until 9am. I'm also getting back on track working out.

I'm seeing results, but I still hate that I lost so much ground.
13337417, Yo, you lost 30 pounds tho! Congratulations
Posted by Jon, Sat Jun-08-19 10:14 PM
Missing that event stinks im sure, but you should be proud and feel good about that. Keep it up, the other 15 will happen.
13337418, 30lbs is a lot. Set small goals.
Posted by Heinz, Sat Jun-08-19 10:29 PM
People set small goals and quit when they don't meet them. Set small goals and crush it. Then set another one etc
----------

IG @h_n_z
13337429, I'm not as shredded as I wanted but i'm definitely getting there
Posted by Heinz, Sun Jun-09-19 11:53 AM

----------

IG @erichrigonan
13337442, 2017 was killer, 2018 to now was a step back
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Sun Jun-09-19 08:50 PM
I lost more than 60 pounds and now I have put almost 40 of it back. I was managing pretty well for a while but then I was on the road a lot for work which is always a great way to break any good habits. it means working late, eating at odd hours, eating out all the time, snacking a little more, social stuff organized around food, being away from our gym, etc.

I tried to walk a lot but that didn't really offset much. I hung in there at about a 20-pound net gain for months but then put on another 15 or so recently during the playoffs.

So now I am trying to get back to the good habits I had before. It's also hard because we moved and we're stocking our house a bit more. Before I basically cooked or got food at meals only, now we have shit to snack on between meals and late at night because our living situation changed. Exercise is going pretty good, I'm playing basketball five times a week (despite the wishes of my left Achilles tendon) and getting back into lifting. I feel like moving back to a big city would help, too, being in the suburbs now means we go everywhere in a car. That's about three miles of walking--exercise without even thinking about it--cut out of the picture. I tried to go for a two-mile walk the other day and we almost got hit by a car--twice! I fucking hate Southern California drivers man.
13337443, As far as your stuff, 30 lbs in 8 months is pretty good if you keep it off
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Sun Jun-09-19 08:57 PM
You think the hike will not be doable now? I don't quite follow.

I'm discouraged by how easy it is to put it back and how tough to keep it off. One of my co-workers lost over 50 pounds--he is a huge guy like 6'7" and was over 300 pounds--and I was very happy for him. We worked together for the first time in a while a couple months ago and he put most of it back. That was a bummer. Another guy who used to be my editor took drastic measures and got some sort of gnarly weight loss surgery (I don't remember which one). He was a huge fat guy like 6 foot-ish and 400 pounds. He got all the way down to like 185. I was thrilled for him even though it was probably risky. He is a very smart guy, in addition to his day job he plays in an orchestra, very talented musician. But now he has put almost all the weight back, he's back over 3 bills. I tried to talk to him about it and he was definitely depressed. He seems to have some lost a little weight since so hopefully he gets going back in the right direction.
13337466, RE: Who DID NOT meet their fitness goals this year?
Posted by double 0, Mon Jun-10-19 09:15 AM
Still haven't figured out how to eat (right) on tour...

Been in the gym fairly consistently and have done a better job of making working out part of the lifestyle routine (run, hike, gym)

But food son

Airports, hotels and venues man... can't help but wanting the super crazy bacon on bacon on burger burger

I ruined a consistent 10-15 lb loss in like a week... lol
13337471, why do you need to lose 45 and 30 wouldnt suffice for the hike?
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Mon Jun-10-19 09:23 AM
13337621, No, I need to lose more
Posted by handle, Mon Jun-10-19 05:36 PM
Basically if I'd have lsot 45 it'd be replaced by the weight of the pack.

But the hike is at the limit of my level and even 15 extra pounds would make it very very difficult for me.

Let's put it this way - I could lose 100 pounds and still be overweight.

If it was life or death I could do it, but it's supposed to be fun.

13337472, i would be mad happy to lose 30 lbs in 8 months
Posted by mista k5, Mon Jun-10-19 09:24 AM
dont feel too bad. keep at it.

i started working out at the end of march wanting to lose 50 lbs by the end of the year. i lost like 10 the first month. then gained back 6 lol now im at net lost 8lbs.

i have a trip with the family in 3 weeks and im hoping i can lose 7 more lbs by then to be at net 15 lbs lost. i did want to be at 20 lbs less by the time the trip comes but 15 is okay.

from what i have seen you just need to keep at it and do take rest days. i hit a plateau early then couldnt work out a day and suddenly i had lost a lb or 2 lol. also, lifting weights is definitely helping.

right now im struggling to work out consistently and to cut back on take out. i did okay last week but the weekend wasnt too good.
13337516, shoulder injury and new job fucked me up
Posted by GROOVEPHI, Mon Jun-10-19 11:09 AM
old job - I could hit the gym at lunch everyday if I wanted. I had a regimented training schedule using the 5/3/1 program. My goal was to reach the 1000 club and to be able to over head press 135 for a set of 5 reps.

new job - can't workout at all. I hardly go out for lunch. It sucks bc the gym is closer to my building now than it was at my old spot.

Shoulder fucked up my bench press, overhead press (I gave up completely) and my squat. Squat and deadlift is going up but not as expected.
13337773, that shit sucks, i fucked up my rotator cuff last year
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Tue Jun-11-19 04:46 PM
strangely it wasn't in the one i shot a ton of shots with and used to pitch with, it was my left shoulder. but yeah it made bench press, military press, etc impossible. i got lucky though, it was more of a warning shot (painful strain) than a long-standing problem. now i just have to stretch it out thoroughly everyday and thus far i've avoided any further discomfort since it healed, just a little tightness here and there. now my left achilles is signaling problems ahead so i've had to develop a specific stretching routine for that also.
13337886, word, doctor told me its tendonitis
Posted by GROOVEPHI, Wed Jun-12-19 11:12 AM
it hasn't kept me from workout out or hooping though. Shit, I will workout and hoop through the pain. Although, it does affects my jump shot.
13337532, well into my 40s and wondering how much longer
Posted by sosumi, Mon Jun-10-19 12:16 PM
I can look "fit" without "trying"...

is just walking places not enough?

my food diet is better but can not (do not want to) give up alcohol

gyms as well as parks freak me out, wish I could afford peloton...
13337749, my diet is not where i want it to be but i'm approaching very fit
Posted by bearfield, Tue Jun-11-19 03:04 PM
i'm doing 40-45 minutes of cardio/day. alternating days:

• 20 minutes on the bike as a warmup then 20-25 with dumbbells
• 40-45 minutes on the bike, trying to hit 10 miles/450-500 calories burned

my diet is not good at all. i wanted to transition to a 50% vegetarian diet but it's not happening. i fast intermittently every day so my weight is fine but i'm not eating healthy often enough and i'm eating too much meat. i'm still cooking a lot and meal prepping food that is not unhealthy but i have weeks where i just can't do it and waste money on fast food

i really need to cut out the sugary drinks. it's very difficult to do. i know if i drink fewer sugary drinks i'll drink more water and keep the weight off but i have a lot of trouble dropping the sugar
13337776, First off - THAT is amazing progress. You should be proud.
Posted by Ryan M, Tue Jun-11-19 05:20 PM
Secondly - I'm ALMOST where I want to be. Lost 24 pounds since Feb - mostly diet. I'm relatively active without proper workouts. But this was pretty much all diet. I went keto to speed up the weight loss process and lost about 24 pounds (from 178 to 154), which was nice. I don't intend on staying keto long term, and had bouts where I'd go off of it, but it was an effort to clean up my terrible eating habits.

What's kinda nice about it is I haven't given up booze, just moved to no-sugar stuff like Bacardi & Diet, Vodka Soda, etc. No margaritas or sweeter drinks.

I do travel a lot for work and that's the absolute hardest thing. I don't really stay keto when traveling but I try to keep to my intermittent fasting of 16 hours a day. According to my Zero app, I've done 153 fasts (92 of them straight) and have pretty much stuck to that since January.

I did just get back from Vegas yesterday and....well, I'm fucking feeling it. I'll need to lose a few to get back on track. I'd have liked to get down to around 150 so I could get off keto and adjust to 155-158, but it'll take some more work. So in that way, I've missed it - but in general I've progressed well enough.