Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectDo you always use self checkout when it is available?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13331305
13331305, Do you always use self checkout when it is available?
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Wed May-08-19 01:20 PM
I was just in Walmart, and it was kind of a sad sight. It seems like they converted almost all of the check out lanes into self checkout. There was only one person manning a regular line in the whole store.

I used to be against self checkout (why am I doing the labor, I would think), put now I actually prefer it. Even though it messes up every once in a while, I like being in control.
Especially at fast food restaurants like panera or McDonald's, I can browse the menu and choose at my own pace.

What about you? Are you fully onboard with the machines taking these retail jobs?
13331306, I do. Unless i'm buying alcohol or using coupons.
Posted by FLUIDJ, Wed May-08-19 01:21 PM
The less I have to interact with incompetence the better.
13331308, When I'm only buying a few things
Posted by Marauder21, Wed May-08-19 01:27 PM
You aren't going to self checkout 20 things quick enough to make it worthwhile, and you ruin it for the rest of the people in line when you try.
13331326, I treat them like 10 item and below lanes.
Posted by walihorse, Wed May-08-19 02:05 PM
13331328, Hell no.
Posted by Brew, Wed May-08-19 02:15 PM
I'll never intentionally support massively rich corporations' attempts at lining their pockets at the expense of working class people.
13331330, is that pretty much what shopping is by definition?
Posted by Selah, Wed May-08-19 02:18 PM
13331333, RE: is that pretty much what capitalism is by definition?
Posted by infin8, Wed May-08-19 02:22 PM
and you could expound that to encapsulate everything that is bought. we all in this together.
13331369, Lmao.
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed May-08-19 03:27 PM
13331374, LOL - true.
Posted by Brew, Wed May-08-19 03:32 PM
13331382, ^^^woke consumerism^^^^
Posted by FLUIDJ, Wed May-08-19 03:40 PM

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"
13331444, LOL
Posted by Brew, Wed May-08-19 08:38 PM
I mean I know it makes absolutely zero difference but. Figure I should practice the types of things I preach whenever possible.
13331496, ^^^^^^ Doesn't have Amazon Prime
Posted by micMajestic, Thu May-09-19 08:58 AM
>I'll never intentionally support massively rich corporations'
>attempts at lining their pockets at the expense of working
>class people.

lol
13331528, hahah shit.
Posted by Brew, Thu May-09-19 10:19 AM
13331331, nah
Posted by infin8, Wed May-08-19 02:20 PM
-sometimes I have a favorite cashier
-sometimes the cashier is cute and I want a closer look
-I believe there is a concerted effort to eliminate jobs/reduce cost...but I know some of these people need their job, so I actually am PRO human contact when it's not hindering a more important task.

I try to 'have time'.
13331335, I always choose the shortest line
Posted by Cam, Wed May-08-19 02:28 PM
That's my preference.

When I use them I always think about how the machine took a low wage worker's job. So my main stores, Giant and Safeway being unionized I just presume the local 400 bargained an agreement adding replacement positions elsewhere, partially reliving my fear of an eventual rise of automation of everything.
Walmart though, I only self-checkout in there. I know those employees are treated horribly and project that same energy, so on the occasion I do go, I try to automate and speed my in and out. The one closest to me has new locks and glass doors on everything I go there for, so I haven't been at all this year.
Whole Foods, though I've never seen one with self-check out, that's the only place I go where on a crowded day, 90% of the shoppers are shopping for someone...filling up Amazon Prime silver insulated delivery bags, or wearing Instacart lanyards clueless pushing shopping carts.

But yeah, shortest line.
13331359, The self checkout is now the longest line at Target
Posted by Marauder21, Wed May-08-19 03:09 PM
Every single time I go in there, does not matter the time of day. And they seem to require more employee assistance than the regular ones.
13331448, yep! I find it easier to hop in a regular line at most stores
Posted by SuiteLady, Wed May-08-19 09:14 PM
13331339, I am....
Posted by SynsCei, Wed May-08-19 02:38 PM
Until there's alcohol or an issue with fruit/veggies. Otherwise, I'm quick to scan and go through unlike an ATM where people wanna re-organize their wallet AFTER they made the transaction. KIM.
13331347, usually unless there's a cute cashier.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed May-08-19 02:49 PM
13331352, I use to do that
Posted by tariqhu, Wed May-08-19 02:58 PM
but Walmart is notorious for not having enough cashiers. it makes sense, time wise, to go to the shorter line.

I care about the workers too, but the robots will continue to rise with or without my protest.
13331375, Please don’t go to Walmart and complain about self checkout
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed May-08-19 03:36 PM
You are already part of the Matrix.
13331519, I prefer going to a cashier
Posted by tariqhu, Thu May-09-19 09:52 AM
cuz I like people, but I can't waste all that time.
13331387, I hate that shit
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed May-08-19 03:44 PM
13331391, I won't shop at a grocery store without self checkout
Posted by falafel stand pimpin, Wed May-08-19 03:51 PM
I don't like waiting awkwardly in line and having fake conversations with the cashier for everyone behind me to listen in on. I don't like people like that.
13331433, Love self checkout. I ring up ginger as garlic save hella money
Posted by 81 DUN, Wed May-08-19 06:30 PM
If a drink weighs the same I grab a cheap one then swap out for that organic. Mad savings been doing this for years
13331439, The Giant in Arlington lets you scan and bag WHILE you shop
Posted by FLUIDJ, Wed May-08-19 07:54 PM
So you arrive at the register and all you gotta do is pay and roll out......
Make of that what you will.........
13331468, At Sam's you can scan while you shop, pay, and go straight to the exit.
Posted by Innocent Criminal, Thu May-09-19 07:26 AM
No lines ever, unless of course there is a line because the old guy takes forever to look at receipts.
13331472, That whole looking at receipts thing is the pits at Costco....
Posted by FLUIDJ, Thu May-09-19 07:33 AM
I don't understand how it's even remotely efficient or effective....
13331512, A dude walked out of Cosco with 24 bottles of Hennessey
Posted by Paps_Smear, Thu May-09-19 09:35 AM
and a home security system.

This is why they're there checking your shit. This is also why we can't have nice things

https://abc7.com/man-stole-$1500-worth-of-hennessy-from-costco/5288758/
13331513, I mean...they DO make magnetic security anti-theft devices....
Posted by FLUIDJ, Thu May-09-19 09:40 AM
13331516, I want to know what he was going to do with the Henny
Posted by Paps_Smear, Thu May-09-19 09:42 AM
If he was going to try to resell it.

Or maybe he was going to throw one of the blackest events in history.
13331525, My bet is on a very lit cookout. I think he'd have coped more if he were
Posted by FLUIDJ, Thu May-09-19 10:06 AM
gonna try and sell...
His downfall was not going at a busier time of day I bet.....

13331943, I want to know if he installed the home security system
Posted by micMajestic, Fri May-10-19 04:29 PM
>If he was going to try to resell it.
>
>Or maybe he was going to throw one of the blackest events in
>history.

Maybe he planned to throw a big party, but he wanted which one of his sheisty friends would try to make off with a full bottle.

I don't understand why one would need 24 bottles of Henny. But if for some reason you do need 24 bottles of Henny, I understand the need for some sort of monitoring.
13331463, My problem with it is people struggling to use it
Posted by Atillah Moor, Thu May-09-19 06:23 AM
And the lines can back up even more when a user or software error occours. Still need some degrees of human interaction at this point imo.

Once it was first introduced though it was easy to see where things were headed for those job roles
13331486, Only when I have less than 4-5 items
Posted by cbk, Thu May-09-19 08:27 AM
I wanna be courteous. It annoys me when someone with a full ass basket is using it ahead of me 😾

13331501, I use them for a quick trip to the grocery store
Posted by Quas, Thu May-09-19 09:06 AM
It used to be one checkout lane at the store for years since 2008. Now they have expanded to two lanes in an effort to compete with Kroger and WalMart.
13331517, I use them to flex on people in my mind
Posted by Paps_Smear, Thu May-09-19 09:45 AM
Since I'm really good at getting in and out I always try to be super quick. I like to pay for all my items and be on my way out of the door faster than the people that was already at a self checkout before I stepped up.
13331824, Maaaaannnn I thought I was the only one that did this
Posted by silenttype, Fri May-10-19 11:12 AM
like watch me get all my shit and be out before
this dumb ass.

yup- just like I thought, dummy.
13331888, RE: Maaaaannnn I thought I was the only one that did this
Posted by Paps_Smear, Fri May-10-19 01:40 PM
>like watch me get all my shit and be out before
>this dumb ass.
>
>yup- just like I thought, dummy.

I bet there are a bunch of us. For a minute it makes you feel smarter than everyone in the building.
13331518, we should have adopted automation a long time ago
Posted by jrocc, Thu May-09-19 09:45 AM
as far as self-checkout, it depends on how much stuff I have. if I only have a handful of items, i'm doing self checkout.

>What about you? Are you fully onboard with the machines taking
>these retail jobs?

yes i'm fully onboard. it makes no sense that we still are still holding on to these mundane repetitive low paying jobs when there's other alternatives. we got to stop looking at automation like "the robots are taking our jobs" because the jobs they are so-called taking really suck and aren't helping anyone. yes automation will displace some people initially, that's just a reality. the longer that we hold on to "doing it the old way" though, it's going to be worse than it needs to be. we will adapt and refocus our attention to other types of more meaningful work like we always do.
13331522, What's with you clowns talking about only using it for small qtys???
Posted by FLUIDJ, Thu May-09-19 10:01 AM
Unless that joint says "Express" or "10 Items or Less"... i'm goin IN.

FOH...
That shit is for MY convenience, not yours lol...
9 times outta 10 i'm gonna ring up & bag my own shit faster, safer, and more efficiently than some teenage cashier or some 80 year old retiree that they shoved on register because Becky called in again....

13331580, Man the counter dude at Taco Bell made me something not on the menu
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu May-09-19 11:23 AM
I went into taco bell and they had all those self-checkout but I coudn't find a beef meximelt. I went to the counter and dude said we discontinued them (NOOOOOOO!!!) but I can make one for you. He did. It didn't at all taste like a beef meximelt but that's besides the point. The point is that never would have happened without human intervention.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
13331715, lol... buddy risked his job for you.
Posted by PG, Thu May-09-19 05:35 PM
let them find out he's doing that... they'll come down on him like a scalding cauldron of cheez whiz.
13331604, Depends on my mood...
Posted by Crash85, Thu May-09-19 11:46 AM
And how many people are in the normal line… But if I'm in a rush, hell yeah I use self checkout...
13331654, Usually
Posted by Eric B Is Prez, Thu May-09-19 01:41 PM
There's a CVS in the ground level of our building, so I go virtually every day for a few things. I've got the self checkout down to a science. I'm super fast. Whenever the machines are down, the human check out seems agonizingly slow.

The awkward moments are when there's nobody in line for the human, but I still walk past them to use the machine :)
13331664, only for small stuff, I'm horrible at bagging groceries
Posted by nonaime, Thu May-09-19 02:15 PM
13331718, LOL I am a master at it. Often I do it myself even if someone is there
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Thu May-09-19 05:55 PM
At Sprout's I always bag my own shit whether I bring my own bags or not. The people there will crush your bread and break your bottles, very unprofessional about half the time. I also have a good idea of how to load up the bag in terms of weight because I know how I'll handle them. When I lived in Colombia I always told the people at Jumbo and Carulla how I wanted my shit bagged. They were even worse, they'd stick like 20 glass bottles in a single bag. Not a lot of common sense or basic arithmetic to go around there, sadly, though the guy who checked your receipt had a fucking eagle eye. One time he stopped and counted all the bottles we had, 46 when they charged us for 45. I still don't know HTF he figured that out.
13331793, Opening the bags up is my kryptonite
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Fri May-10-19 09:25 AM
Especially in the winter. Dry hands I guess.

I can spend 5 minutes trying to separate the two sides of the plastic bag. So I stuff each bag to the max to avoid that struggle as much as possible.
13331901, the worst are the produce bags, sometimes they stick together like glue
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Fri May-10-19 02:10 PM
13331977, yep...every once in awhile, the attendant will have the bags open for you
Posted by nonaime, Sat May-11-19 09:42 AM
13331716, No I almost never use it unless there is some advantage
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Thu May-09-19 05:51 PM
If the line is way shorter I will use it. I also found out inadvertently one day that the one at Target is easy to get, uh, "free stuff" from though I haven't abused that power (I accidentally didn't scan an item I had two of twice and they just let it ride).

I don't wanna support them cutting jobs because the prices damn sure haven't gone down since this became a thing. Fuck that. Furthermore I like human interaction, even something as corny as small talk with a checker. Lastly, the things are a real pain in the ass. When we were in Nawlins we went to a Rite Aid late night to pick up some drinks and there was a long ass hold up at the register so we went to the self checkout. Jesus Christ, one error after another and they kept having to call some poor kid over to fix it. Colossally inefficient. That was the worst example but plenty of times I've been held up over something and some employee had to come and attend to it. At the Target here they've got someone watching at all times in case there are fuckups, and that person stays busy.

I did go to a WalMart recently to pick up something specific for my mom. This was one of the really huge ones, it was as big or bigger than a CostCo (but was not a Sam's Club). They had maybe three rows of self checkout but still plenty of regular lanes, though only three of them were actually open. Everything in Wal Mart is sad to me so hard to say if this impacted the ambiance at all for me.
13331729, nope. only use it if i got less than 20 items AND every manned line...
Posted by PROMO, Thu May-09-19 08:25 PM
is HELLA long.
13331741, I Go To The Self Checkout Lanes All The Time...
Posted by Dj Joey Joe, Thu May-09-19 09:13 PM
...when it is available of course, I'm pretty much ready to get in & get of the grocery store or wally-world, I already have my loyalty card ready to be scanned (cause I keep 'me on my key ring) and like to bag my own shit cause I'm particular how I like my items to be bagged.

The only times I will go thru the regular check out is when the self-checkout lanes are packed or when I might have a coupon or not sure about the price of an item.

What I hate most is when people at Walmart go to the self-checkout and got a full grocery cart and taking forever to scan shit.

13331771, Almost always. I usually have a hand basket & cashiers...
Posted by flipnile, Fri May-10-19 07:58 AM
...are dealing with people with carts of stuff. It's almost always much faster for me.
13331788, Went to McDonalds and a bunch of old people were in one line
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri May-10-19 09:00 AM
They don’t duck with them kiosk at all.

Shit was hilarious because they only have one cashier or 2 at these new joints.

Got my food before most of them even ordered.
13331826, Absolutely. And ftr, you should have to have some type of certification
Posted by silenttype, Fri May-10-19 11:15 AM
to be allowed to use it imho

They should MAKE some people use cashiers smh
Shits sad
13331849, I try to avoid human checkout at all times....
Posted by TR808, Fri May-10-19 12:07 PM
They need to be trained to not be nosey (staring at my purchases and asking questions like "hey is that good?")

Also, there was a time when I was on EBT and I hated trying to checkout with a person. they always goofed up the transaction and now Im a spectacle because you cant do your job discreetly.

13331851, Bruh... I think they do that on purpose
Posted by flipnile, Fri May-10-19 12:16 PM
>Also, there was a time when I was on EBT and I hated trying to
>checkout with a person. they always goofed up the transaction
>and now Im a spectacle because you cant do your job
>discreetly.

I dated a chick years ago that had EBT, and I'd make supermarket runs for her sometimes. Almost every time, there was some question that she had to loudly ask another worker, or the card wouldn't scan and there was a big show with her typing the numbers in, etc.

The cashier that makes a big show out of buying a cigar annoys me too. They are always confused and it takes make loud talking that echoes through the store to figure out what I want.
13331892, I do whatever Sunny D would do
Posted by MEAT, Fri May-10-19 01:50 PM
I'd rather spend my time texting and checking the internet
13331938, Speaking of Walmart...
Posted by Cam, Fri May-10-19 04:04 PM
Their corporate social governance report...
https://corporate.walmart.com/media-library/document/2019-environmental-social-governance-report/_proxyDocument?id=0000016a-9485-d766-abfb-fd8d84300000

Page 39...
https://i.imgur.com/FuNUC06.jpg

Zoom in...
https://i.imgur.com/6Hs9rhL.jpg

...https://i.giphy.com/media/Lcn0yF1RcLANG/200.webp

13331972, if I have a cart full of stuff? no.
Posted by Dr Claw, Sat May-11-19 07:12 AM
if I only have a few things and need to GTFO? Yes

at Walmart, it's damn near necessary for there to be one because they NEVER keep their checkout lanes staffed
13332007, I aint ringing up shit if I ain't on the payroll
Posted by exactopposite, Sat May-11-19 04:21 PM
13332008, 100% yes at target and cvs
Posted by sosumi, Sat May-11-19 04:34 PM
because target's app wallet combines coupons, gift cards and cartwheel into one barcode...
but if I really need to save, store pickup is better because the online prices are usually cheaper

and the cvs app keeps all your coupons and applies them at once
love watching a $40 subtotal automatically go down to like $18
without having a store associate involved

for food places like panera, I usually use their app for rapid pickup or order to table

it may seem like "taking jobs away" but I think those jobs are just redirected to other tasks

13332018, Only if I just have a few things.
Posted by KiloMcG, Sat May-11-19 07:20 PM
If it's a full load I go through the regular line and let them do it.