Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI never said she looks like a man. And I feel like you're making my pt.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13330637&mesg_id=13436020
13436020, I never said she looks like a man. And I feel like you're making my pt.
Posted by kfine, Thu Jun-24-21 03:43 PM
I suggested that with incidence rates as high as 1/1000, it's extremely likely that there are and have always been athletes competing in venues like the Olympics with sex chromosome karyotypes other than XX and XY. We (or perhaps even the athletes themselves) just haven't known.

And if that's actually the case, then it's pretty fucked up that the main athletes who keep getting investigated for this are Black women who shun a conventionally Euro-inspired "femme" appearance. There are many other ways to present as a woman (and be beautiful, which I think all those women are) than that style of "femme". I brought it up because there is a very persistent and racist trope about Black/African women presenting as more "masculine" (eg. the community of right-wingers who refer to Michelle Obama as "Mike", call Barack gay, etc), which likely underscored regulators' fixation with their sex.

Like, EVEN IF I supported this descent into reductionist madness via attempts to regulate human sex determination at a nano level, "intersex" characteristics are prevalent in both male-assigned and female-assigned people... So why does the conversation only seem to center around (cis, trans, intersex, etc) women, and in particular those who are Black? For example, one of the common traits in XXY folks identifying as men is above average height and increased breast size. There's likely been athletes fitting that description who've competed as men in various sports. Has there ever been outrage/hysteria over somebody with 2 X chromosomes competing among men instead of women?

It's just all very dumb to me.