Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectWhy would anyone?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13324464&mesg_id=13324504
13324504, Why would anyone?
Posted by auragin_boi, Thu Apr-04-19 02:15 PM
>It’s also one of the reasons I don’t judge dudes from the
>hood who make it out and don’t come back. I respect those
>who do but it’s definitely a risk.

I mean, if you are dirt poor and you come into millions of dollars, why would you stay exactly where you are? Why would you come back to that environment without extra precautions being taken? And even then, it's a huge risk.

This ain't about black people/men being violent or their masculinity being toxic. It's about desperation and jealousy. Poverty vs status. Perceived gate keeper vs perceived lack of opportunity.

Someone in a much worse situation, wants to be in a better one, sees someone with an abundance of resources and status and wants access to them. Gets shunned (and told he's a liability because he has a rep for not being trusted...allegedly) in front of his significant other supposedly and takes it personal.

When you mix that in a cocktail with poverty, gang culture and access to guns...a lot of the time, logic goes out the door and 'get back' prevails.

I finally let my disappointment in Nipsey passing subside and I put on Victory Lap today. I swear, there are lines all up and down that album that are eerie when combined with how he passed.

Keys to the City - "...Pull out aim for the target, shoulda never been around the killers...catch a body in broad day..."

It makes me sad that it's perceived that even when you get away from that life and try to 180 your effect on that culture, many believe they have to maintain a certain level of promotion/reporting on it to sustain a street relevance.

I mean, I can't expect a screenwriter to not create their art just like I can't to a musician/rapper...but, I just wish it was more widely acceptable to not need the dirt to have mass credibility to some.

It's just incredibly sad man...