Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectMundane yet definitive moments iyl that coincide w/
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13321798&mesg_id=13321798
13321798, Mundane yet definitive moments iyl that coincide w/
Posted by Somnus, Sat Mar-23-19 09:01 AM
a particular tune (pt. whatever).

probably posted something like this, or saw a post akin to it sometime a ways back but anyways, "time is a flat circle". Yes, I'm in one of THOSE moods

so, for me, three distinct instances stick out in my mind as I type this on a Saturday morning

"Golden Lady" - Stevie Wonder

waking up to this tune playing on a clock radio while laying in my mom's bed who was staying with my (maternal) grandmother at the time. I had never heard the song before then but it spoke volumes to me. Although Stevie was depicting a romantic relationship in the song it sort of still encapsulated who my mom was and what she meant to me. That will forever be her song, the song that comes to mind when I think of her.

"Prototype" - Andre 3000

I must've been in my early 20s, skipped college, flip flopping between menial retail jobs, driving a hooptie, hanging out with a tough crowd; I was completely adrift and "loving it." There I laid, after a particularly drab day of work, on the hood of my old Buick Century parked on the top tier of the mall's parking lot, staring out at the descending sun with that song blaring out of my cars speakers and thinking to myself, "this is what peace feels like." Very strange.

"Be" - Common
I had just started bartending at the neighborhood dive shortly after losing my "good federal job." The owner of the spot took pity on me and decided (a decision he would no doubt later regret) to give me a shot seeing as how I was in there on a daily basis getting shitfaced and seemingly "throwing my life away." It was a Saturday morning, not unlike this one, and my first time opening the bar. I dunno, but seeing the place so empty and devoid of activity had an eerie feeling that I kinda dug. I shot a practice game of pool and then threw "Be" up on the jukebox as I opened the blinds to start my shift. Something about that moment had the air of a jumping off point, like I was on the precipice of an entirely new chapter, maybe even almost like the opening sequence of movie, meh, whatever.

whatchu got?