Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectMundane yet definitive moments iyl that coincide w/
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13321798
13321798, Mundane yet definitive moments iyl that coincide w/
Posted by Somnus, Sat Mar-23-19 09:01 AM
a particular tune (pt. whatever).

probably posted something like this, or saw a post akin to it sometime a ways back but anyways, "time is a flat circle". Yes, I'm in one of THOSE moods

so, for me, three distinct instances stick out in my mind as I type this on a Saturday morning

"Golden Lady" - Stevie Wonder

waking up to this tune playing on a clock radio while laying in my mom's bed who was staying with my (maternal) grandmother at the time. I had never heard the song before then but it spoke volumes to me. Although Stevie was depicting a romantic relationship in the song it sort of still encapsulated who my mom was and what she meant to me. That will forever be her song, the song that comes to mind when I think of her.

"Prototype" - Andre 3000

I must've been in my early 20s, skipped college, flip flopping between menial retail jobs, driving a hooptie, hanging out with a tough crowd; I was completely adrift and "loving it." There I laid, after a particularly drab day of work, on the hood of my old Buick Century parked on the top tier of the mall's parking lot, staring out at the descending sun with that song blaring out of my cars speakers and thinking to myself, "this is what peace feels like." Very strange.

"Be" - Common
I had just started bartending at the neighborhood dive shortly after losing my "good federal job." The owner of the spot took pity on me and decided (a decision he would no doubt later regret) to give me a shot seeing as how I was in there on a daily basis getting shitfaced and seemingly "throwing my life away." It was a Saturday morning, not unlike this one, and my first time opening the bar. I dunno, but seeing the place so empty and devoid of activity had an eerie feeling that I kinda dug. I shot a practice game of pool and then threw "Be" up on the jukebox as I opened the blinds to start my shift. Something about that moment had the air of a jumping off point, like I was on the precipice of an entirely new chapter, maybe even almost like the opening sequence of movie, meh, whatever.

whatchu got?
13321813, RE: Mundane yet definitive moments iyl that coincide w/
Posted by tomjohn29, Sat Mar-23-19 11:46 AM
Donell Jones - Where I Want To Be (99)

Broke up with my high school sweatheart
Applying to schools
Literally figuring out where i want to be

Madvillian- Accordian (04)

Met my first okp (RIP Menphynel)
off from college working my first internship outside of Atlanta
used to listen to Madvilliany non stop back and forth between Cornelia,Ga and Clemson Sc

The Roots - Clock With No Hands (06)
Worst year of my life
Girl cheated on me
Broke Up
almost failed out of college
spent the summer in Miami working for Bangbros

Frank Ocean - Pyramids (12)

Finished law school
first 6 figure year of my life

French Montana - Lockjaw (16)

literally the song came on...my wives water broke

13321821, RE: thank you for your entry...
Posted by Somnus, Sat Mar-23-19 12:37 PM
>The Roots - Clock With No Hands (06)
>Worst year of my life
>Girl cheated on me
>Broke Up
>almost failed out of college
>spent the summer in Miami working for Bangbros

Bangbros?! Wuhhhh? Lol

Anyways, but yeah that reminded of another poignant moment in my story

"Kashmir" - LedZep

I had just moved in with the first (and probably last) girl I ever could say I honestly loved. Subsequently and in very short order (we're talking about a month or two) she hightailed it one afternoon whilst I was at work

Needless to say, I was floored at the abruptness of it all but wasn't too shocked seeing as how we had been on the outs for a lil min

All I can remember is jumping in my ride
with a profound feeling of emptiness and fear, to head to my old neighborhood to do god knows what, with this song playing on the radio as I drove across a bridge leading to my old haunt. Once again, I had that old familiar feeling/thought of 'ok, this is really how it should be, I was meant, nay, built for this type of journey. A solitary one.' Whatever the fuck that means lol
13321819, Like all of us I assume, I have soooo many of these.
Posted by Brew, Sat Mar-23-19 12:23 PM
None I can think of off the top of my head right now but when these songs come on, the stories come to me. So I'll be back as I think of them or come across them. Music is the best.
13321824, RE: Like all of us I assume, I have soooo many of these.
Posted by Somnus, Sat Mar-23-19 01:01 PM
>None I can think of off the top of my head right now but when
>these songs come on, the stories come to me. So I'll be back
>as I think of them or come across them. Music is the best.

Please do.
13321857, I would've thought that I would have a lot of these from the way
Posted by c71, Sat Mar-23-19 09:15 PM
I emphasize music so much

but....

I seem to only have a few strong ones.

One in particular was the song "Silent Running" by Mike & the Mechanics. I liked the song a lot and I would have liked to see the video for it. There was one night where I was going out to play with my friends and I stopped back into my East Flatbush Brooklyn apartment (where my Great-Grandmother was - me and my brother lived with her in the downstairs apt. My father lived on the third floor apartment - he owned the building). I remember Friday Night Videos was on and the end of the "silent running" video was playing. I wanted to see the whole video but I was just catching the end of it and I wanted to go back outside with my friends. So that whole feeling of hearing a haunting song that I never (at that point - no youtube back then) got to be familiar with the video of, and liking the vibe in the apartment but wanting to go back outside with my friends, seemed sort of like special moments were at my grasp but slipping away yet kind of right there.

The second strong one was a few days (if not the day before) 9/11, I was in Times Square on 7th ave on the block the Virgin Megastore was on and there was this Arcade bar called "CODE". It was night and I went up into the bar (it had this series of escalators leading up to the arcade bar). I might have played a video game then looked around briefly, then I got back on the one of the escalators to go down to the street level. It had mirrors and blue and red lights in that whole vast escalator area. And the song that was playing was Change with Luther Vandross "the glow of love" As I was descending, the speakers were blaring the part "there is no better way to be....seasons of happiness are here....." that was such a dramatic feeling in that imposing escalator area...after I had a dismal night...so it seemed sort of appropriate the song was dramatically stating that "there is no better way to be...." at that point.

The last one worth noting was when I was in LA in 2003. Things were kind of deflating from what an East Coast person like me expected - especially the whole Skid Row area. One night as I was walking around the Skid Row area. Some guy had this big boom box loudly playing "Two occasions" by The Deele (a lot of people were walking around that night due to the nice weather so it was a kind of communal atmosphere). The quality of the sound of the boom box and the production quality of the song just filled the atmosphere to the point where I was beginning to think my LA experience was going to be better than I had expected up to that point.
13322013, LeVert - Cassanova: Summer in Philly, late-80s, riding...
Posted by flipnile, Mon Mar-25-19 08:44 AM
...in the backseat of my pop's car along Chelten Avenue through Germantown. This song is pumping through the speakers.

https://youtu.be/2t_vNkJgelc

Temperature somewhere in the 80s. At a light, I look over and see a Catalpa Tree: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalpa. Summer city smells.

"...me and Romeo ain't never been friends"

Not sure why this scene is locked into my head, but it is and is associated with that song. I rarely hear Cassanova anymore, so when I do I'm immediately brought back.

Another was being in the market with my pop when I was like 7-8 I think, and George Benson's "Breezin'" plays in the store:
https://youtu.be/14pitnJlcv4

I started whistling along to the guitar, and my pop looks at me, smiles and says "Ah, you like that song!" It was something he played in the house and car, and probably the first jazz song that really got me hooked.
13322182, Here's a couple off the dome
Posted by tully_blanchard, Mon Mar-25-19 01:16 PM
Jamiroquai-Blow Your Mind

Moving into my first apartment, my homegirl let me borrow the cd for "moving music". I musthave listened to song 15 times in a row while putting together the cheap ass "entertainment center" from Wal-Mart. I remember it made me feel like I was my own man, and looking over at my (now ex-) lady unpacking shit on the couch, it felt like we had arrived.

Esthero-Superheroes

Me and my homeboy drove to Winston Salem to see Common and The Roots..and my homegirl that let me borrow the Jamiroquai cd was there. She rode back to Charlotte with us and my boy put the Esthero cd in. We were talking and joking the whole way until that song came on. We all got quiet and just enjoyed it together in silence.

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

#2dopebrothersandastackofwax

https://www.instagram.com/thirtythree.three/

The Greatest Story (N)ever Told (finished)

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=s