Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectNot the same thing, but the concept of the
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13312569&mesg_id=13312679
13312679, Not the same thing, but the concept of the
Posted by Marauder21, Fri Feb-08-19 03:58 PM
white kid donning a headdress and warpaint to be the mascot at certain schools (Illinois, Utah, Florida State) was still going on into the 21st century. I know FSU still does it, not sure if they use an actual Seminole or not (if that makes it any better.) And this is what schools wanted to put out on national TV in the thing that most people will associate with that college.

I'm going to assume there's shit like this everywhere.

Never saw any blackface at my college, just the wonderful flavor of casual open racism that permeates all of SE Wisconsin (and everywhere, but it's REALLY a thing there.) Like the "here are all the awful things I feel comfortable saying around you, a fellow white" conversations happen everywhere (and make no mistake, they do happen to every white person,) but it was really pronounced there. Can only imagine if I hadn't gone to the public school for fuckups and commuters and went to the big wealthy Catholic school just outside a heavily black neighborhood instead. Because Marquette students were another level of angry.