Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI still go to the local events (Phoenix, AZ)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13312375&mesg_id=13312981
13312981, I still go to the local events (Phoenix, AZ)
Posted by Ishwip, Mon Feb-11-19 02:39 PM
This past Friday they had Elzhi out here along with Rockness Monstah (who apparently spends time in Tucson now haha), OneBeLo (Binary Star), Bronze Nazareth, a bunch of DJ's.

As far as Dilla goes, I was on board as of Fantastic Vol. 2 as far as specifically knowing "I'm buying this because of Jay Dee". I had connected the dots in the late 90's with The Ummah stuff, Pharcyde, De La, etc., but FV2 is where I knew the deal and seeked out everything he was directly/indirectly/officially/unofficially connected to. Was a wrap from then on.

In 2006 I got the vanity J DILLA license plates and still have them till this day. Kinda cool every so often someone will pull up beside me at a traffic light or in the parking lot and say "that's dope, Dilla, man!"

My fiance certainly didn't know who he was until we met but she rocks Donuts, The Shining, Jaylib occasionally (i.e. his later-era stuff).

I welcome any conversation with folks that want to know "Who was Dilla? Why was he THAT dude to you" when they see the car or hear his name. Never too late to recognize greatness and depending on the person I can usually steer them to a phase/era of his that they'll appreciate.

__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)