Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectThe Million Dollar Question for 2020 is do we go moderate or truly progressive.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13310490&mesg_id=13310490
13310490, The Million Dollar Question for 2020 is do we go moderate or truly progressive.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Jan-30-19 12:41 PM
And I honestly can't call it at all.

My progressive friends tell me now is the time to be bold and push forward a bold progressive vision of how the country should be.

But I just don't see it. It just seems like living a whole different world than the white folks I work with and see around me all day.

I've also completely given up on the idea of personality-driven politics, that is, if we just got the RIGHT person in office, they will be able to fix it. I have a hard time thinking that Kamala Harris will be able to accomplish more than Barrack Obama did. I think the next Dem president can learn from Obama's mistakes and the mood and playing field has changed a bit, but I just really don't think it's a matter of the right person being in office to make Medicare for all, or gun control happens or fight mass incarceration, etc.

I've been thinking alot more about the boring stuff that needs to change to set the table for making the big stuff to happen. Redistricting, changes to voting and tax law. I've been thinking that ichanges to media consolidation laws could strengthen local ownership of newspaper and media outlets would have a major impact on politics (the nationalization of media and news outlets has had a terrible impact on voters and partisanship).

Anyway, I think we will have our answer in less than 2 years but its scary to think the wrong choice between these two choices could mean 4 more years of Trump.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"