Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI hope he doesn't run.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13309602&mesg_id=13310374
13310374, I hope he doesn't run.
Posted by jane eyre, Wed Jan-30-19 12:23 AM
I don't think Sanders can win, and I'm not happy about his positioning regarding the ways that he was helped by Russian inference in our last election.

When the reality sets in for Sanders that he can't and won't win (he's too far left), I hope he will be a Democrat cheerleader and not a divider. I'm not holding my breath.

With that said, it's frustrating to watch so many actual Democrats mull entering the race that won't win, either. It makes me wonder what people are evaluating on the so-called "listening tours" and exploratory committees.

I kind of think the electoral map of the country is still pretty red, even though there have been some interesting purple spots and a blue wave in the House.

One quality of a strong Democrat presidential candidate, to me, is someone who can win votes--actual votes-- in the general election. For the most part, I think the red map will hold in 2020. Things may be contested, here and there, but...at the end of the day...

It seems that even though there may be disagreements about Trump, many Republicans like things about the policies that have come out of the last 2 years. The electoral map strikes me as still being in their favor. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2020 election was close.

I think the onus is moreso on Democrats to nominate a candidate that appeals to Republican and Independent voters vs. the other way around. I *do* think there is an actual chance Democrats can nominate that type of candidate, but they need a good strategy.

Backlash about Trump and the Republican party doesn't necessarily mean that, as a whole, voters won't elect a Republican (even Trump again). Trump and Republican backlash definitely doesn't mean voters are looking for progressive, left of center/far left candidates, either (or even a centrist Democrat). I haven't seen evidence that the country *votes*--key word--*votes* progressive or left of center.