Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectgood.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13309602&mesg_id=13309751
13309751, good.
Posted by Mr. ManC, Sun Jan-27-19 01:19 PM
we literally have not talked about actual issues since the Democratic National Coronation of Hillary Clinton.

I am not even saying he automatically has my vote, nor am I Bernie or bust, but you would be blind to not recognize that the new energy in the Democratic party and the participation of everyday Americans now inspired to run is because of his 2016 campaign.

We can get into the whole primary vs general and relive 2016 but 2020 will be vastly different since people at least now know who he is. My mom voted for Hillary in the 2016 primary in North Carolina before she got the chance to see the debates and understand his platform, and she fought me hard in 2016 during the entire cycle about my not rocking with Hillary as the candidate. She is looking at Sanders in 2020 now. I think no matter what this will be an actual fairer gauge of his candidacy since he has national name recognition and there will be a bigger pool of candidates to stir the discussions.

TO BE FAIR, as much as I knock Hillary for being a horrible candidate that Trump was able to beat, she also was Bernie's opponent. His platform was clear, but he hasn't necessary been challenged on a fair playing field yet. And Warren and Gabbard may be able to articulate hybrids of his platform better and still be more "electable" (though I would prefer Gabbard at this point).

But that is what the primary is for.....unfortunately the DNC is arguing now that they have no legal binding to run fair and transparent processes as part of the lawsuit stemming from 2016, but we'll see what happens.