Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectBeen to a few I'm sure I will get to more.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13307084&mesg_id=13339540
13339540, Been to a few I'm sure I will get to more.
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Fri Jun-21-19 03:34 PM
The BEST show I have seen in MANY years was The War and Treaty. Their studio stuff and YouTube stuff is good, their live show is TRANSCENDENTAL. Never have I felt such vulnerability and shared emotion from a performer. I also felt transported through time, like the ghosts of Tina Turner, Ray Charles, Otis Redding, the Meters and so many greats wafted through space and time to lend a hand with the show. Two HUGE voices, incredible chemistry (they are a wife/husband act) and just fantastic music. The first two songs they did blew me away and the third one (a moving tune about looking for a purpose for one's soul and love) literally moved me to tears. It was the best $18 I ever spent, no bullshit. They did a meet-and-greet after the show, too, very nice people who showed love to everyone on hand.

We liked the show so much that we went to see the Mavis Staples 80th birthday celebration, which featured the War and Treaty, Ben Harper, Grace Potter, et al. Pretty cool show. The W&T toned down their part to not overshadow Mavis. She can still belt out some great tunes. They did "The Weight" with all the guests as the encore, one of the few times I've actually wanted the most predictable thing to happen and it was a nice. Funny story, before the show I was out back of the theater getting lit and three random dudes were also smoking back there. One of them struck up polite conversation and I told him we came after seeing The War and Treaty on Monday. He's like "what'd you think of the show?" I said, "without exaggeration the best show I've seen in at least 10 years. Soul, R&B, New Orleans Jazz, funk, rock, country, bluegrass, they did a little of everything and had the chops for it all." He goes, "Cool. I'm glad because that's us, we're the War and Treaty." I looked past him and sure enough there was the drummer and the sax player (I couldn't really see them earlier) and he kind of moved between the organ and guitar. I told him I was sure glad I didn't shit on the set and we chatted a little about the tour and they trip West for it.

I went to go see Anderson Paak for the first time with OKP's own Bombastic back in February on a trip to Philly. I kinda wish I'd saved my first AP show for this upcoming tour, which has much better guests and a much better album to support. But the show was good anyway. $72 a ticket seemed rich but it was what it was, and we had a good time. I'll definitely go to this upcoming tour.

I saw The Internet, I guess that was in late '18 though. They did not disappoint, great sampling of tracking from the new record and the first two. It was at HOB in Vegas. There is something I really hate about shows in Vegas but this managed to deliver a pretty normal crowd and a nice set.

We saw Action Bronson a couple times with Mayhem Lauren and Roc Marciano. It was aight, some of the ML set was fiya, Bronson delivered. I met him at an event that same weekend. Cool enough guy but he was stoned AF, kind of hard to talk to. Mayhem was also there, he was a lot more lucid and personable.

Saw DMX against my better judgment. Twice we'd been stood up by him at previous shows. This one was fucking garbage. No opener. They trotted out some bum to stall for time at one point and it was pretty much like aural rape. DMX's set wasn't much better. He had himself on the record behind him for moments where he couldn't breathe properly or remember the lyrics. He played for less than an hour. It was the "It's Dark and Hell is Hot" tour yet he played maybe three songs from that record. All in all it was a colossal ripoff and a shitty show, but we knew the risk going in and at least he showed up.