Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectConcerts - Going to any in 2019?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13307084
13307084, Concerts - Going to any in 2019?
Posted by mista k5, Wed Jan-16-19 11:25 AM
what concerts do you know youre going to this year or want to go to?

i have some artists that i have yet to see that i would love to

de la soul

common
alabama shakes

uhm im sure theres more. definitely more i havent seen that i would go see if i had a reasonable opportunity.

right now im looking at some options for february. unfortunately none are local.

the first one is Another Badu Birthday.....2/23/19 AD (no post this year lol)
https://www.ticketfly.com/purchase/event/1804849?utm_medium=api&q=f4655b13-fb8e-45c0-a200-39f787ef0cdb&p=47f9bae9-9d90-4aee-992d-8f9b719edb77&ts=1547654579&c=ticketfly&e=004257a&rt=Safetynet&h=da732213a6d0009716ee530adbb43f32

with fees its $55 for GA, not bad. 9/10 hr drive and would need to take a day off maybe. saw her last year in a sit down venue. she was great but folks stayed sitting down. standing only might make the experience better. not to mention the special guests that are sure to be there.

there is also Noname which is having shows in AZ and Albuquerque the same weekend. one is the day before in phoenix and then theres another on Sat in phoenix and one in Albuquerque on Sat. the sat phoenix one starts at 3. has anyone see her live? hows her show? i liked her album but i wouldnt say im a huge fan yet. with fees its $32. good price overall. its a 4 hr drive so dont need to take a day off. i think this might be my back up show if i dont go to badu or to....

De La Soul on Feb 1. this is a friday so it complicates things. would need take at least friday off and start driving super early or split the drive between thursday night and Friday morning and pay for an extra hotel night. its in colorado so a 10 hr drive. this does have atmosphere too which is cool, never seen them and i enjoy most their stuff. the prices are steep. with fees GA is $80 or $155 for VIP.
https://www.axs.com/events/363928/icelanticys-winter-on-the-rocks-featuring-atmosphere-tickets

i would finally get to see de la soul though. i probably wouldnt go to either of the above if i do this show. maybe i would do de la soul and noname.

which would you choose?

also, how is a paul mccartney show? theres one in phoenix in the summer.
13307093, Massive Attack in March @ AnthemDC
Posted by j., Wed Jan-16-19 11:34 AM
Never got the chance to see them in their heyday and not sure if it's the original lineup but Protection is one of the GOAT albums so I'm there

13307097, Travis Scott and Blood Orange so far
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Jan-16-19 11:39 AM
Travis is in charlotte or raleigh in March.
Blood Orange is in Asheville in March too.

i think...
i let other people plan this out
13307121, Just one, but I hope that changes...
Posted by Marbles, Wed Jan-16-19 11:58 AM

We usually hit a lot of shows. We went to several in the 1st half of 2018 and then the options just dried up. Nothing that came to town after that really interested me.

As of right now, we only have the Gasparilla Music Festival in March. Gary Clark Jr. is the Sunday headliner, which I'm excited about. His new single is nice. Pharcyde is in the lineup but I think there's only 2 of them left in the group.

https://gasparillamusic.com/2019-lineup/#/artists/alphabetical

I hope some other good shows come around in 2019.
13307131, pharcyde is a name that would be cool to say youve seen
Posted by mista k5, Wed Jan-16-19 12:04 PM
i wonder how their show is now

gary clark jr should be good.

you got me wondering whats shows are gonna be in SA or houston. can double up on the trip and visit my mom.
13307151, You'll probably enjoy Alabama Shakes...
Posted by Marbles, Wed Jan-16-19 12:16 PM

When I saw them, it was a no-frills show where they just played their music & rocked the house. Britney didn't even introduce the rest of the band by name. Great show.

I've seen De La twice (about 25 yrs apart tho!) and they're always charismatic on stage.

Badu actually closed the GMF 2 yrs ago and they said she killed it. People who barely knew who she was said that it was fantastic. I had to leave a little early so I was disappointed that I missed such a great performance.
13307165, i think they were in taos a couple years ago
Posted by mista k5, Wed Jan-16-19 12:28 PM
i had just put my coworker on to them

he came in one day saying he went to go see them. im like uh....no heads up???? dont know if i would had been able to go back then but i havent seen any tour dates for them in over a year.
13307127, That Red Rocks show sounds cool but
Posted by sectachrome86, Wed Jan-16-19 12:01 PM
I don't know about standing outside in the freezing cold for 4 hours

I got Roots tickets for Feb in Denver. I've seen them many times but only in Philly and not for 10 years so pretty hyped for that.
13307134, it looks like there are benches but uhm yeah
Posted by mista k5, Wed Jan-16-19 12:06 PM
that cold has me thinking i might want to wait for another show, hopefully in AZ or albuquerque.

i didnt even see the roots show. i saw them once in pontiac, it was a free show. it was cool but i think their set was shorter than usual.

that might be the move, good looking out.
13307210, I mean definitely go to Red Rocks if you haven't been
Posted by sectachrome86, Wed Jan-16-19 01:13 PM
but in the summer. It will probably be dope though if you don't mind the cold. It's not my favorite.
13307571, tell me what you know about red rocks
Posted by mista k5, Thu Jan-17-19 12:10 PM
im going with a friend. he wants to do gen admission. i know vip is reserved seating and free drinks but would it help with the cold at all??? lol the seating for vip is out there with the rest of them just closer right?

i want to see living legends, obviously de la soul and im cool with atmosphere but im actually considering leaving during their set if my friend is down lol

im guessing once the show gets going leaving your spot in gen admission to use the bathroom or anything will be giving it up. youre going to have to find a new spot. i dont know how easy it will be to get back into vip seating if you need to get out. im thinking vip is not worth the extra money. if it included a meet and greet with de la then id probably do it. if it does let us stay comfortable until de la or living legends then maybe.

how harsh is the drive up/down? i think we are going to stay in lakewood which is like 10 mins away so im pretty good with that.
13307578, I've never done VIP
Posted by sectachrome86, Thu Jan-17-19 12:31 PM
But yeah I think VIP just means closest to the stage. It's a pretty awesome and unique place to see a concert. You don't really have to worry about losing your spot in my experience. Maybe if you're super close to the stage. Otherwise the rows are pretty wide and people don't double up in them so you have your own space and a place to sit when you want which is nice. There aren't really bad seats because being farther from the stage just means you have a cooler view. Way better than the usual GA where you're packed in like sardines and if you leave you have to push your way through a sea of sweaty people pretending they don't see you.

The drive in/out is fine, but you'll be huffing and puffing getting to your seats from the parking lot. It's a long walk, up hill, at altitude. Bring water. A lot of people get there early and tailgate in the parking lots. If you're just coming for the night I would get there early to hang out a bit and walk around. There are trails all around it and the scenery is beautiful. Honestly, it being winter will probably just make it an even more memorable experience.
13307582, this is the kind of experience that makes people best friends
Posted by mista k5, Thu Jan-17-19 12:42 PM
or never talk to each other again lol

im thinking of parking downhill of the venue, i think climbing up after the show would be worse than before. im hoping to get to the parking around 4. not sure how early we are getting into town, probably around 2.

its kind of cool to be there before and through sundown. should be beautiful.

im going to try to figure out what to take as far as cooler, drinks, food, cushions etc. im thinking a backpack with space for gloves/scarfs etc that i might not need but if the weather gets bad enough i will be happy to have.
13307133, was gonna see Peter Murphy tonight but its GA..eff that lol
Posted by rdhull, Wed Jan-16-19 12:06 PM
13307136, I've seen Noname
Posted by Hitokiri, Wed Jan-16-19 12:07 PM
and she was really good. Her band was really tight and she was really personable. Seemed like someone I would enjoy kicking it with.
She's actually gonna be here again in about a week, but I'm going to see Nao that night instead.
I go to tons and tons of shows. I'm thinking I'll probably grab tickets to James Blake in a couple days.
13307142, im still in love with nao's music
Posted by mista k5, Wed Jan-16-19 12:11 PM
i need to see if shes gonna be near me
13307167, my confirmed list so far:
Posted by wrecknoble, Wed Jan-16-19 12:33 PM
NYC Winter Jazz Festival: Blaque Dynamite & The Murder Angels; Justin Brown NYEUSI feat. special guest Georgia Anne Muldrow; James Poyser feat. Special Guest Bilal; Celebration of Life: Roy Hargrove Tribute; Chris Dave & The Drumhedz with special guest Thundercat

^^^ incredible show last week in NYC

Wiz Khalifa & Curren$y: 2009 Tour in February

Anderson Paak & The Free Nationals in February

I'm sure I'll be adding more as the year goes on - I attend a lot of concerts in Toronto
13307172, anderson paak would be cool
Posted by mista k5, Wed Jan-16-19 12:38 PM
i probably would only drive 4 hrs to see him but i think i would do it
13339541, We saw Paak, good performance, OK setlist. How was Curren$y/Whiz?
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Fri Jun-21-19 03:35 PM
Curren$y is my favorite rapper out there now. I like his music and respect his grind.
13307168, I might try this
Posted by tariqhu, Wed Jan-16-19 12:34 PM
Badu and Nas show coming up. Haven't seen them or anybody in a minute.
13307177, nas is probably a great show
Posted by mista k5, Wed Jan-16-19 12:42 PM
so many great songs. im not sure if i would drive 10 hrs to see him but maybe.
13307255, yeah, 10 hours
Posted by tariqhu, Wed Jan-16-19 01:56 PM
is a long ass drive. I've never done a road trip for a show. was gonna do it for that last prince tour, but then I couldn't :(
13307336, i think this would be my second
Posted by mista k5, Wed Jan-16-19 03:47 PM
i did do a trip to houston to see badu but i flew and i also visited family. i basically decided when i was visiting family based on when badu was playing. i was gonna go to houston at some point.

first one was driving i think 4 hrs to cleveland to see jurassic 5. they hold a special place my in my musical heart.

there used to be so many concerts in albuquerque but i never got around to doing the trip.

we dont really have many rap shows here so 4 hrs is the minimum for a decent show.
13307764, I've only seen Nas once and he was terrible
Posted by Hitokiri, Fri Jan-18-19 09:50 AM
I think I've heard he's been better/good in the past few years. But my experience really soured me on seeing him again. One of the most disappointing shows I've ever been to.
13307203, I'll be there
Posted by bigkarma, Wed Jan-16-19 01:05 PM
I hate that it's at State Farm though.

It takes someone I really dig to get me to pony up for an arena show.

I'll probably end up seeing several shows at City Winery, Variety Playhouse, Center Stage...etc.
13307251, I've never been to the Winery.
Posted by tariqhu, Wed Jan-16-19 01:51 PM
will have to check it out.

I don't mind arena shows, but they normally cost too much. I just can't do it any more.

looks like the tix for this show go from 60-125 or so.
13307325, City Winery is nice
Posted by bigkarma, Wed Jan-16-19 03:32 PM
Table seating, good food, and reasonable ticket prices. The wait service is somewhat slow, but they have to navigate around tables, while not disturbing the performances.

We've seen Bilal (he's coming back next month), Maysa, Tortured Soul, Stanley Clarke, Donnie, and Algebra there.

Great for a date night.
13307341, Donnie is still doing music?
Posted by tariqhu, Wed Jan-16-19 03:54 PM
had no idea.

sounds like a cool spot. me and the lady will have to get there.
13307606, Saw him in 2017, he celebrated the 15 anniversary of The Colored Section
Posted by bigkarma, Thu Jan-17-19 01:23 PM
Did the whole album in it's entirety. Great show!
13307207, Badu is incredible
Posted by KiloMcG, Wed Jan-16-19 01:10 PM
13307252, she's the reason I'm even considering going.
Posted by tariqhu, Wed Jan-16-19 01:53 PM
Nas got songs, but Badu got this show thang on lock. her presence just draws you in.
13307241, Taking The Kid to see Post Animal next month
Posted by tully_blanchard, Wed Jan-16-19 01:36 PM
Driving to Athens to see them, so maybe vist UGA while we're there.

Wanna see the P-Funk Farewell tour. I havent seen Funkadelice in about 20 years...and I know they aint the same no more...but I do wanna see Uncle George one last time.

I think we're doing Shaky Knees this year. Theres a few bands that we all wanna see (Tears For Fears, Beck, Gary Clark Jr)

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

https://astackofwax.com/

#2dopebrothersandastackofwax

https://www.instagram.com/thirtythree.three/

The Greatest Story (N)ever Told (finished)

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=s
13308711, Well..scratch the Post Animal...The Kid doesnt wanna go no more..
Posted by tully_blanchard, Wed Jan-23-19 09:19 AM
Anybody wanna buy some tickets? smh...

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

13307338, looks like de la soul is gonna happen
Posted by mista k5, Wed Jan-16-19 03:51 PM
going with gen admin. definitely buying some thermal long johns

uh why when i searched for thermal pants was this the first result and why uhm is this the pic they chose????

NSFW
https://www.amazon.com/Ouruikia-Underwear-Lightweight-Separate-Leggings/dp/B07GD16TL3/ref=asc_df_B07GD16TL3/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312762793634&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13757677242817814697&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1022494&hvtargid=pla-594258425194&psc=1

anyways, gotta look into what im going to wear to stay warm but comfortable.

should be awesome to see de la soul, would be better if they were headlining but it looks like there second to last so should still be a decent set.
13308668, You goin to the red rocks show
Posted by josephmurf2384, Tue Jan-22-19 06:25 PM
I was thinking about it as i have not seen De La in forever and Atmosphere is a great show.
13308669, yep, i have everything booked
Posted by mista k5, Tue Jan-22-19 06:28 PM
unless something falls through i will be there. i really hope the weather plays nice. as long as its not snowing on our way there and back we should be good.

i really just want to see de la soul. i like atmosphere, even love some of their stuff but i have never been big into them. im debating staying for their whole set. we drive back the next morning. i want to at least see it start but if we get too cold i could see us leaving early.

im going to be prepared to go for the whole show.
13311647, so
Posted by mista k5, Mon Feb-04-19 05:09 PM
i can finally say i have seen de la soul

i was worried about two things for this show, the cold and the "hike" to get in. i over prepared for the cold and didnt think the hike could be too bad.

the hike is real. i had to take 3 breaks to get up there. im definitely out of shape lol i underestimated how hard this would be.

the cold was not as bad. it was a bit "warmer" than i was expecting when the show started. it definitely got colder as the night went on but i was prepared. i was sure i wouldnt be able to enjoy the show as much because i would be cold but it wasnt a factor.

as far as the actual show.....i am disappointed

that de la soul had to stop performing.

i enjoyed every second of de la soul but was seriously bummed out when they walked off stage. i was convinced they were going to come running back out. no way that was it. they really did do a good mix of big songs and songs that are just great. there were sooooooo many songs that i wish they did but obviously there is only so much time. i felt like if they just did two more songs i would have been happy. i definitely want to see them again, hopefully with them being the headliners.

atmosphere has a really good show. they definitely have been refining their show. i was pleasantly surprised by how many older songs they did. they seem to have performed every one of my favorite songs of theirs and that was only half their set (they did like 4 or 5 songs in the encore). it took me a while to warm up to their set because i was still salty the de la soul was over then two couples decided to stand in front of us in our row. once they started doing the older songs though i got back into it.

living legends also had a really good set but i am really not that familiar with their music. i think i need to check out more of it.

watsky was okay. not sure what people like so much.

dem atlas was good, i need to check out his music.

the lioness was okay.

all in all i would do it again but maybe fly instead of driving up there lol
13307577, Just landed Aphex tix for Brooklyn April 11 show
Posted by Stringer Bell, Thu Jan-17-19 12:30 PM
That was nervewracking. Been waiting decades to see this guy.
13307583, nice, congrats
Posted by mista k5, Thu Jan-17-19 12:43 PM
13307602, saw Mos over Ye beats in LA
Posted by Amritsar, Thu Jan-17-19 01:17 PM
it was refreshing to go to a Mos Def show and just hear him spit bars

for so long it was BOOOOOGEYMAN MUSIC

13307603, i would love to see him
Posted by mista k5, Thu Jan-17-19 01:18 PM
i feel like i wouldnt know what to expect though. ideally he would be opening up for someone else i like.
13307656, so far only High on Fire in May.. but I'll find others
Posted by PG, Thu Jan-17-19 03:16 PM
13307762, heard matt pike cancelled because of health issues?
Posted by T Reynolds, Fri Jan-18-19 09:46 AM
13308351, oh werd? yeah.. crap (link)
Posted by PG, Mon Jan-21-19 05:49 PM
https://www.spin.com/2019/01/high-on-fire-cancel-tour/

the fricking deathabeaties... yipes.
13316069, they're still billed at the venue's site
Posted by PG, Tue Feb-26-19 11:55 AM
wonder if they're hedging they might make it.
13307664, Tickets purchased so far:
Posted by dagu, Thu Jan-17-19 03:46 PM
1/19: Meshell Ndegeocello
2/18: Courtney Barnett w/ Sunflower Bean
2/20: Blood Orange
10/4-10/6: ACL Festival

Probably going:

5/1: Acid Mothers Temple
13307773, i definitely want to do ACL some day
Posted by mista k5, Fri Jan-18-19 10:25 AM
13307729, do you look up sets for shows youre going to?
Posted by mista k5, Thu Jan-17-19 06:49 PM
do you try to find videos of performances of a show youre going to?

do you listen to their music leading up to the concert?
13307763, I don't look up sets or performances. I do listen to their music leading up
Posted by Hitokiri, Fri Jan-18-19 09:49 AM
Listen to their music in the week leading up to the show. But definitely not on the day of the show and especially not while riding to the show (I fucking HATE when people do that).
13307770, There's a special place in hell reserved for people...
Posted by dagu, Fri Jan-18-19 10:20 AM
who play music of the artist that they're about to see while waiting in line to enter the venue or, even worse, while inside the venue and waiting for the show to start.
13307775, whoa, that happens?
Posted by mista k5, Fri Jan-18-19 10:26 AM
like on their phone?
13308125, Unfortunately, yes.
Posted by dagu, Sun Jan-20-19 04:43 PM
I've even overheard people looking at YouTube videos of the artist they're about to see performing a previous show on the same tour.
13311776, haha a dude in front of me in line did this
Posted by mista k5, Tue Feb-05-19 10:26 AM
13307772, i think when i first started going to i would do that
Posted by mista k5, Fri Jan-18-19 10:24 AM
i would look up concerts or set lists and definitely listen to the music on the way there.

i think now im more like you. i will listen to their music a week or two before. if i wasnt already. sometimes after the show.
13307785, RE: do you look up sets for shows youre going to?
Posted by Marbles, Fri Jan-18-19 10:47 AM
>do you try to find videos of performances of a show youre
>going to?
>
>do you listen to their music leading up to the concert?

I don't look up the set list. I'd rather be surprised. My girl, however, always looks it up. I have to remind her not to tell me because I don't want to know.

I definitely listen to the music leading up to the show. Especially if it's someone I'm not super familiar with.

There were a couple of shows where the performance was so damn good that we listened to that artist for months after the show. (Miguel, MuteMath, Usher, Kanye)
13308713, nope, nope and nope
Posted by tully_blanchard, Wed Jan-23-19 09:26 AM
I NEVER look up set lists prior to (anymore)..I wanna be surprised.

When Prince did the Hit N Run 2000 tour, I fucked around and looked up the setlist and saw that he had been doing "Mutiny" at most shows. That was a dream of mine to see him do the "Controversy/Jazzy interlude/Mutiny" that he did on his first Hit N Run in 86. As soon as he started "Controversy" I was waiting for Mutiny, not cause I was hoping he would...but cause I knew he would. I still marked the fuck out...but not like I would have if I didnt know it was coming. Kinda mad at myself for that..

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

13316089, What’s wrong with listening to the artist’s music beforehand?
Posted by BlakStaar, Tue Feb-26-19 12:50 PM
I don’t look up set lists but not because I think it’s wrong or wack; I just don’t care.
13307741, Massive Attack in Chicago
Posted by Dr_Gonzo, Fri Jan-18-19 12:05 AM
They're doing Mezzanine.
Never got to see them live, so I have no idea what the show is gonna be.
I'm geeked to see them, though.
13316196, RE: Massive Attack in Chicago
Posted by BlakStaar, Tue Feb-26-19 05:15 PM
Their show in Detroit is in March and it's sold out already. That's a good sign to me.
13322912, DC show got postponed to Sept.
Posted by j., Wed Mar-27-19 02:05 PM
I was hyped, then they cancelled the rest of their tour at the beginning of this month due to "fatigue"

13322913, RE: DC show got postponed to Sept.
Posted by BlakStaar, Wed Mar-27-19 02:08 PM
Yes, I forgot to update and share that the Detroit show for this month was cancelled.
13307742, The-Dream next month
Posted by PROMO, Fri Jan-18-19 01:42 AM
Tom Segura (comedy) in May perhaps.

that's all that are on my radar so far.
13307776, comedy shows are great
Posted by mista k5, Fri Jan-18-19 10:27 AM
i really should go to more. i go through phases where i will go to a few close together then forget about it for years.
13307759, i think zoe keating in april
Posted by shygurl, Fri Jan-18-19 09:30 AM
My only hesitation is she is a contemporary cellist, and I don't know what to wear.
13308097, Snarky Puppy x 2 - Orpheum and Disney Hall
Posted by Oreganoflow, Sun Jan-20-19 08:43 AM
13308132, ticketmaster is the debil.
Posted by tariqhu, Sun Jan-20-19 06:27 PM
my 2 tix for $99 each, ends up at $256 after all the stupid fees.

I wanted to get them from the box office, but the site said they'd still be subject to the same fees.
13308723, My goal is to see 79.5 perform somewhere this year
Posted by Lil Rabies, Wed Jan-23-19 10:23 AM
Even if I have to go up North to see them. I am kind of obsessed to see them live.
13308735, few i'd like to attend, but havent pulled the trigger on tix yet
Posted by GROOVEPHI, Wed Jan-23-19 10:54 AM
Vince Staples in DC in Feb

On the fence about Anderson.paak at MGM National Harbor only because I did not really like Oxnard

Wanted to see Travis Scott initially, but fuck that nigga

13308736, Bout to See Brandy at the Kennedy Center this Weekend....
Posted by RaphaelSoulLee, Wed Jan-23-19 10:57 AM
..I know...I know...but that is the Kennedy Center....plus I like some of Brandy's grooves.

Gonna see Erykah on V-Day weekend.
13311658, my updated list so far:
Posted by wrecknoble, Mon Feb-04-19 05:39 PM
NYC Winter Jazz Festival: Blaque Dynamite & The Murder Angels; Justin Brown NYEUSI feat. special guest Georgia Anne Muldrow; James Poyser feat. Special Guest Bilal; Celebration of Life: Roy Hargrove Tribute; Chris Dave & The Drumhedz with special guest Thundercat

^^^ incredible show I went to in early Jan in NYC

Feb 24: Wiz Khalifa & Curren$y: 2009 Tour

Feb 26: Anderson Paak & The Free Nationals

Apr 5: Earl Sweatshirt & Friends Tour

Apr 24: MorMor

May 3: Michelle Obama Speaking Tour (this counts, right? lol)
13311659, looks like ill be going to Murs in may
Posted by mista k5, Mon Feb-04-19 05:46 PM
he will be in town with locksmith. $15. only bad thing is its a sunday.

the venue's website lists locksmith as a funk band but im thinking its the rapper...either way $15 is plenty cheap for it to be just murs so whoever is opening im down lol

13311663, Taking wife to see PAAK in The City 2/11..
Posted by Original Juice, Mon Feb-04-19 05:57 PM
Anderson Paak & The Free Nationals at The Masonic in San Francisco next Monday.
13311707, Summer Walker and Big Boi/Dungeon Family, for sure.
Posted by JFrost1117, Tue Feb-05-19 01:55 AM
Of course, gotta wait for the lineups for ONE Musicfest and A3C, my regular annual joints. Hopefully, no family events mess up anything as they did for A3C last year.
13311716, going to see nao tonight
Posted by MiracleRic, Tue Feb-05-19 08:44 AM
13312486, how was it?
Posted by mista k5, Thu Feb-07-19 04:14 PM
13315456, GREAT
Posted by MiracleRic, Fri Feb-22-19 03:56 PM
she killed it

she's one of those feel good stories in the industries...

played the background role for a minute but dropped 2 very high quality LPs and based on the crowds and excitement between the last 2 shows i've been to...she's easily pulling in a lot of fans across a lot of demos

she legit touched on every song i wanted except for literally one...that's a rare occurence lol

13311728, Thinking now about copping Erykah tickets to her AC show...
Posted by Creole, Tue Feb-05-19 09:12 AM
She'll be there with Busta. This could very well be a dope show but I gotta check with The Wiz to see if she wants to go.
13311777, Cincinnati Music Festival
Posted by Marbles, Tue Feb-05-19 10:27 AM

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/24d03b_071f62b04d004605a81293e92824afc2.pdf

The fellas are getting together to roll with this. Everyone is bring their ladies but my girl doesn't wanna roll.
13312461, my updated list so far (again):
Posted by wrecknoble, Thu Feb-07-19 02:50 PM

^^^ incredible show I went to in early Jan in NYC

Feb 24: Wiz Khalifa & Curren$y: 2009 Tour

Feb 26: Anderson Paak & The Free Nationals

Apr 5: Earl Sweatshirt & Friends Tour

Apr 24: MorMor

Apr 29: Boogie

May 3: Michelle Obama Speaking Tour (this counts, right? lol)
13312468, March 29th: Raekwon and Ghostface
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Feb-07-19 03:18 PM
13312530, Sol Blume in Sacramento - April 27
Posted by SsenepoD, Thu Feb-07-19 08:56 PM
Miguel
Jessie Reyez
Queen Naija
JID
Masego
Tierra Whack
Summer Walker
Kiana Lede
Snoh Aalegra
Raveena
Tobi Lou
Jess Connelly
Umi
Dave B
Ivy Sole
Parisalexa
Andre Power

I'm looking forward to Miguel, Jessie Reyez, Masego, Snoh, JID, & Dave B. I've heard of a few others but haven't really listened.

should be a fun day
13312583, i've seen them all except Dave B
Posted by wrecknoble, Fri Feb-08-19 11:02 AM
you are in for a TREAT that day, damn!
13312588, Toni Braxton & SWV tonight
Posted by Damali, Fri Feb-08-19 11:16 AM
13312591, 2 so far
Posted by walihorse, Fri Feb-08-19 11:19 AM
3 points in Miami - going the day Ghost and Raekwon are performing

Tame Impala - my wife loves the band and I like some of their songs.
13312594, Roots Grammy 2019 is a STRONG maybe for me
Posted by handle, Fri Feb-08-19 11:24 AM
It's tonight and tomorrow.

I can go.

Issue: I'm old as hell and I drive to LA for a show that starts late and is standing room only might just kill me. Plus the hours driving to /back and the need to stay overnight.

I get so tired, and I'm convinced they send Bilal out to try to kill me.

It's a dilemma for me.

13314807, Essence Music Festival...
Posted by BlakStaar, Wed Feb-20-19 05:46 PM
I'm aiming to attend for the first time this year. I don't think the line-up has been announced yet but there's always a handful of good people to see, and I love NOLA!

I'm really trying to go to as many festivals as possible this year. It's my favorite way to see artists because the value is good and they tend to deemphasize assigned seating. I hate a designated seat unless I'm attending a concert with someone else or with a group.

So far, I've seen Justin Brown NYEUSI, Georgia Anne Muldrow, Bilal, James Poyser, Chris Dave and the Drumhedz with Thundercat at Winter Jazz Fest in NYC. Renee Neufville popped up and sounded divine live. A solo album is long overdue.

I had tentative plans to see Guy, BBD and some others on Valentine's Day but my right windshield wiper stopped working the day before and I had to get it fixed. Grrr. SWV and Toni Braxton were in town the same day and SWV wound up making a surprise appearance at the Guy/BBD concert.

Here's some from footage from Instagram:

BBD
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bt5GbsGApXp/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1reqmohl9qwgh

SWV
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bt5LbtiAzBI/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=102a6u9r9oefo
13316090, RE: Essence Music Festival...
Posted by BlakStaar, Tue Feb-26-19 12:54 PM
The lineup was just announced. No one earth shattering or surprising. Mainly mainstream acts, of course. They’ve had better lineups TBH. https://www.essence.com/awards-events/2019-essence-festival/essence-festival-2019-lineup/

I’m looking forward to Missy, Frankie Beverly, BBD with Bobby, Teyana Taylor, Rakim, Tweet, El Debarge and a couple others. They’re all on my bucket list.

I thinking about another quick weekend trip to NYC this spring. Blue Note is having a jazz drummer series. I’d like to see Karriem Riggins doing his own material.
13316194, that rap line up is pretty good
Posted by mista k5, Tue Feb-26-19 05:03 PM
am i dumb or have they not shown whos performing on each day? im guessing you can buy tickets for individual days later on. if the old school rap will all be on one day id have to give this some serious thought.

im probably going to be in new orleans in may, would of been cool if the dates matched up. i gotta see if there will be any good shows there in may. ive only driven through there so i do want to look for some things to do there. im sure just finding some local spots with live music would be great.

i think i considered going to essence fest last year but i saw badu in houston instead.
13316197, RE: that rap line up is pretty good
Posted by BlakStaar, Tue Feb-26-19 05:18 PM
You're not dumb. I don't see specific dates and times for shows yet. Having said that, I think the EMF has ALWAYS been during the Fourth of July weekend. At least that's been the case since I've been old enough to go. It's July 4-7, 2019 this year.

Edited to add: Ohh, I just saw Big Daddy Kane and Force MD's is 'gon be there. Luckily, they're in the "Superlounges" and not on the Superdome Main Stage. I just peeped the prices for good seats for the Main Stage performances and I almost fainted. ;-(

I still want to go, though. I love NOLA and I haven't been in a few years.
13314827, Definitely seeing Smino/Earthgang and Saba/JID
Posted by snacks, Wed Feb-20-19 06:50 PM
Hopefully Afropunk in Brooklyn
Possibly Vince Staples this Friday at 9:30 Club
Possibly Snarky Puppy in DC

I'm sure more will come up but that's all I got for now
13315017, is there an artist you have seen "a lot" and would keep going to?
Posted by mista k5, Thu Feb-21-19 12:01 PM
any time i get a chance to see ozomatli im there. its a therapeutic experience. i could go for a show of theirs again.
13315261, only the roots....
Posted by KnowOne, Fri Feb-22-19 10:13 AM
been to about 9 shows over the years I think...and would still see them again in a heart beat.
13315265, robert glasper, bilal, chris daddy dave, kaytranada
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Fri Feb-22-19 10:28 AM
>
13315460, RE: is there an artist you have seen "a lot" and would keep going to?
Posted by handle, Fri Feb-22-19 04:03 PM
the Roots.
Devo.
Kraftwerk.

I’ve s new n The Roots more than I can remember and I’ll still go to any show they are on. I’ve seen the roots AT LEAST 50 times ... maybe more. No lying.

Seen Devo less than The Roots but at least 20 times. I’ll go until Mark or Jerry Die.

Kraftwerk - I’ll see it after they’re all dead even if just randomizes version of their songs with robots dancing in the foreground. Only seen them 5 or 6 times.
13315649, The roots probably 30 plus times
Posted by josephmurf2384, Sun Feb-24-19 06:00 AM
Atmosphere about 5 times
Brother Ali probably about 5 times
Cunninglynguists 4 times

and would see all of them any time i have the chance.
13323878, RE: is there an artist you have seen "a lot" and would keep going to?
Posted by astroman71, Tue Apr-02-19 11:49 AM
P-Funk/George Clinton
George is doing his final shows now (supposedly) but P-Funk has been a regular ticket over the past almost 30 years. The shows can be uneven at this point, put the P-Funk collective can still lock
onto a groove and bring the funk.

The Roots
Watching them send off the Highline for its final show earlier this year if proof that a Roots concert needs to stay as an automatic cop.

Erykah
Always good, Ms. Badu usually has something new and/or different that she's trying in her live shows that makes it worth repeating.

Tortured Soul
Just a straight up dance party every time

Black Crowes/As the Crow Flies/etc.
Since the brothers Robinson don't play well together, various versions of band have hit the road with different names and lineups. But as long as Chris is singing blues -based rock and roll, I'm there
13315575, I went to iii Points festival in Miami
Posted by HoneyDrop, Sat Feb-23-19 03:46 PM
The Internet
Herbie Hancock
Beach House
Tyler the Creator
A$AP Rocky
Blood Orange
SZA
James Blake
E. Badu.

twitter.com/Honeydipt
facebook.com/sheizwhosheiz
instagram: SheIsHoneyDipt
13315576, And probably am gonna do The Governor's Ball
Posted by HoneyDrop, Sat Feb-23-19 03:47 PM
so there's that.

twitter.com/Honeydipt
facebook.com/sheizwhosheiz
instagram: SheIsHoneyDipt
13315675, Santigold - 10 Years Golder Tour
Posted by luminous, Sun Feb-24-19 02:43 PM
13323418, RE: Santigold - 10 Years Golder Tour
Posted by ProgressiveSound, Sat Mar-30-19 10:57 AM
Niice
13315676, JT, James Blake, Massive Attack, Ariana Grande
Posted by cbk, Sun Feb-24-19 02:45 PM
13315678, roy ayers then black thought w/ others in the next week!
Posted by rawsouthpaw, Sun Feb-24-19 04:01 PM
both are put on by adrian younge here in LA.

maybe kaytranada's show in april.
13316143, Maybe Bronson/Roc Marc/Meyhem
Posted by infin8, Tue Feb-26-19 02:58 PM
'The White Bronco' tour is coming to the Observatory on the 15th I believe.

but I don't know. I got too much grown-man shit to do.
13322479, trying to decide if i should go to the local festival
Posted by mista k5, Tue Mar-26-19 12:03 PM
i always skip it because at most theres some acts that i do enjoy their music but not that i would really want to see. there is usually an act that i get into a year later so maybe i should check it out. found out that nao came last year before i was into her. this years line up is out but again no one im crazy about, some that i somewhat enjoy.

anyone on this list that im sleeping on and should check out?

kali and chicano batman are the only ones that im interested in. the cost is $120 for two days or $89 for one. not bad really.

Wiz Khalifa
Tyga
Miguel
Young Thug
Steve Aoki
Tory Lanez
Don Omar
Dashboard Confessional
Kali Uchis
Deorro
Gunna
Paul Wall
A R I Z O N A
Tchami
Ximena Sariñana
lovelytheband
SHORELINE MAFIA
Chicano Batman
Bane's World
Rezz
Inner Wave
Juice
Holy Wave
Verse
Adrian Stresow
DIAMANTE ELECTRICO
Midnight Generation
Jordan Taylor
Miijas
Dizz Brew
Roman Rouge
The Anhedonians
Homerun Derby

im also thinking of going to see snoop 2.5 hrs away in june its $75 gen admission standing. snoop was like my first favorite rapper though lol.
13322482, RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS
Posted by rawsouthpaw, Tue Mar-26-19 12:05 PM
in the fall, LA area
13322544, Parliafunkadelicment...Van Hunt...Al Green...Unknown Mortal Orchestra
Posted by tully_blanchard, Tue Mar-26-19 01:27 PM
Copped the P Funk tix over the weekend.

Grabbing the Van Hunt jawns prolly tomorrow.

Waiting on payday to get the Al Green and UMO ones.

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

13322547, bilal at sawdust and glasper trio at city winery dc
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Tue Mar-26-19 01:29 PM
>
13323539, bilal...best singer in my lifetime
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Mon Apr-01-19 06:05 AM
sawdust was amazing, really good venue. tight opening act (not sure of her name)
and bilal did some stuff from love for sale. mostly blacks in crowd, lots of artists.
i think playing in brooklyn at that venue had something to do with it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"There i s much temptation to use what has worked before,
even when it may exceed its effective scope."

"Roll me further bitch"
13322909, The 2019 Afro-Punk lineup was just announced...
Posted by BlakStaar, Wed Mar-27-19 01:49 PM
and Kamasi Washington and Jill Scott are among the headliners. Now, I like Kamasi but I don't know if Afro-Punk is the best audience for him. Based on the other headliners, like Toro Y Moi, I anticipate more white folks showing up like they did for Lenny Kravitz a few years back. That seemed to have caused a stir. ("It ain't for us no mo.") LOL.
https://www.okayplayer.com/music/afropunk-brooklyn-2019-festival-lineup-tickets.html

I've never seen Jill live but for whatever reason, I'm not pressed and I know she can sang and perform. Interestingly, I really enjoyed that Experience+ live album. It's probably my fav outside of her debut/Vol. 1.

I'll probably only go to AfroPunk this year if I have successfully relocated to NYC by then. Funds are limited and I'm leaning toward the Roots Picnic...
13323058, Anyone see Eric B. & Rakim recently?
Posted by BlakStaar, Thu Mar-28-19 11:37 AM
I didn't realize they were doing shows this year. Today I learned the duo has a show in Detroit in early April. I was bummed that I missed Ra at Summerstage in NYC not too long ago.

What y'all say?
13323059, ive only seen rakim by himself
Posted by mista k5, Thu Mar-28-19 11:40 AM
it was over 10 years ago in detroit and he killed it. if you have never seen him i would say definitely go.
13323068, Cool, thanks. ;-)
Posted by BlakStaar, Thu Mar-28-19 12:04 PM
13323180, Al Green, Charly Bliss, The Who, Rihannon Giddens.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Mar-28-19 04:49 PM
13323401, I bought a few tickets so far
Posted by silentnoah, Sat Mar-30-19 01:05 AM
Nathaniel Rateliff
Rhye
Khruangbin

I’m really excited to see the Khru, and I’m very curious about the rhye show
13323417, Khruangbin is dope live, as you could imagine
Posted by ProgressiveSound, Sat Mar-30-19 10:24 AM
*Their merch is ill too
13323495, I love their tour posters, I may need to get one
Posted by silentnoah, Sun Mar-31-19 06:54 PM
13323550, Definitely
Posted by ProgressiveSound, Mon Apr-01-19 08:36 AM
13323532, Rhye is fantastic live.
Posted by dagu, Sun Mar-31-19 11:26 PM
I've seen them twice. The performance from their current tour was better than the first one.

Seen Khruangbin twice also. Also fantastic.
13325060, I’m glad to hear that
Posted by silentnoah, Mon Apr-08-19 02:04 AM
I live on Oahu, so I tend to go to as many shows as possible, we don’t get a lot out here.
13323533, Bought a few more for the next several months:
Posted by dagu, Sun Mar-31-19 11:36 PM
4/24: U.S. Girls
6/5: Dilly Dally / Mitski
6/7: Weyes Blood
9/11: The National
9/20: Stereolab

Still a bunch more than I'm considering though.

Also saw St. Paul & The Broken Bones last month when they put on a free show and was upgraded to VIP.
13323544, Just went to Raekwon and Ghostface on Friday.
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Apr-01-19 07:51 AM
They ripped it.

Crowd participation was on point too.

13324760, Anybody still thinking about going to the P-Funk tour? DONT
Posted by tully_blanchard, Fri Apr-05-19 01:20 PM
One of the absolute worst concerts I've ever seen by anybody in my life.

Waaaaaayyy too much "new stuff" for this to be his farewell tour.

They played EVERYTHING slow...so even Flashlight and Knee Deep sound like How You Do You View You?

I know he's old, but George sat in a chair in the middle of the stage for most of the show. Hell, he didnt do much when I saw him 7 times in the 90s, so I wasn't looking for him to be jumping around and shit.

The band (except for the horns) SUCKS. Blackbyrd on guitar was dope (mainly during Maggot Brain), but the rest of the band? Turrble.

Shoulda bought Al Green tickets instead

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

13325061, Think I'm gonna hit that Gods Of Rap tour in Paris next month
Posted by Overqualified, Mon Apr-08-19 02:47 AM
Either there or Amsterdam. Wu, De La and PE on the same bill? Not mad.
13325078, Gangsta Gibbs early May
Posted by Amritsar, Mon Apr-08-19 08:34 AM
13338340, How was the Roots Picnic?
Posted by BlakStaar, Fri Jun-14-19 12:05 PM
n/m.
13338417, RE: Concerts - Going to any in 2019?
Posted by go mack, Fri Jun-14-19 04:15 PM
going to Weird Al with the kids and than Wu-Tang with friends a day apart in July. Looking forward to both. lol
13338511, Nas comin to my favorite venue in RVA in July
Posted by KiloMcG, Sun Jun-16-19 09:25 PM
And then also going to see Earth Wind and Fire like a week after that.

13338645, Gods of Rap Tour - Shoreline Amphitheater/MountainviewCA
Posted by Original Juice, Mon Jun-17-19 02:17 PM
6/22 Gonna take my wife and our 13 month old to check out Wu, Eric B & Rakim, De La, and 1/2 Pharcyde.
13338685, wow im jealous
Posted by mista k5, Mon Jun-17-19 03:52 PM
13338909, This one fell off my radar
Posted by Playa_Politician, Tue Jun-18-19 03:30 PM
even though i see ads for it on Instagram all the time. I figured it was in July. Made other plans this weekend. this would've been a good show to hit up. it's been a minute since i went to a hip hop show.
13338695, I might go see Holy Ghost!
Posted by handle, Mon Jun-17-19 04:09 PM
They're on tour with a band - closest it comes in Los Angeles.

It's be a day of driving/waiting/watching/driving and it'd be exhausting.

But I like these guys, and I did not see them when they opened for New Order - I wish I did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCzRz-YHMGY
13338705, I saw The Comet Is Coming this weekend. Shabaka is a monster on sax!
Posted by Hitokiri, Mon Jun-17-19 04:26 PM
Such a dope show. Highly recommend seeing them if you can.
13338732, going to see anderson .paak, thundercat and earl sweatshirt on thursday in seattle
Posted by x49, Mon Jun-17-19 09:20 PM
never seen any of the live. i'm most excited about .paak and the free nationals. anyone seen them?
13338740, I've all of them
Posted by dagu, Mon Jun-17-19 11:16 PM
Paak once, Thundercat three times and Earl once.

Can't say that I'm really a fan of Earl's music so I can't really speak on his live show. Paak and Thundercat are great though but I would be the most excited to see Thundercat again.
13339484, paak killed it! thundercat was pretty sick too
Posted by x49, Fri Jun-21-19 12:42 PM
earl was meh. he didn't really bring much energy and the crowd wasn't really feeling him. but man paak was on one. i would definitely see paak and thundercat again.
13338737, Omar in August and KRIT in October
Posted by ne_atl, Mon Jun-17-19 10:36 PM
13338744, Going to see Travis Scott in Abu Dhabi in December
Posted by Overqualified, Tue Jun-18-19 12:26 AM
Heard he puts on a great show.
13339490, RE: Going to see Travis Scott in Abu Dhabi in December
Posted by speedlaws07, Fri Jun-21-19 12:59 PM
My son wanted to see him for his birthday so we got tickets to
the Madison Square Garden show in March. From the carnival
sideshow theme Merch sale to the concert itself, it was an
experience without even factoring in the music and how hype
and energetic that shit was.  It was literally light years
beyond my first few concert experiences of triple six when
they were still in the purple Chevy or the TSU homecoming that
had Def Jam with Red and Meth headlining. 
13339540, Been to a few I'm sure I will get to more.
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Fri Jun-21-19 03:34 PM
The BEST show I have seen in MANY years was The War and Treaty. Their studio stuff and YouTube stuff is good, their live show is TRANSCENDENTAL. Never have I felt such vulnerability and shared emotion from a performer. I also felt transported through time, like the ghosts of Tina Turner, Ray Charles, Otis Redding, the Meters and so many greats wafted through space and time to lend a hand with the show. Two HUGE voices, incredible chemistry (they are a wife/husband act) and just fantastic music. The first two songs they did blew me away and the third one (a moving tune about looking for a purpose for one's soul and love) literally moved me to tears. It was the best $18 I ever spent, no bullshit. They did a meet-and-greet after the show, too, very nice people who showed love to everyone on hand.

We liked the show so much that we went to see the Mavis Staples 80th birthday celebration, which featured the War and Treaty, Ben Harper, Grace Potter, et al. Pretty cool show. The W&T toned down their part to not overshadow Mavis. She can still belt out some great tunes. They did "The Weight" with all the guests as the encore, one of the few times I've actually wanted the most predictable thing to happen and it was a nice. Funny story, before the show I was out back of the theater getting lit and three random dudes were also smoking back there. One of them struck up polite conversation and I told him we came after seeing The War and Treaty on Monday. He's like "what'd you think of the show?" I said, "without exaggeration the best show I've seen in at least 10 years. Soul, R&B, New Orleans Jazz, funk, rock, country, bluegrass, they did a little of everything and had the chops for it all." He goes, "Cool. I'm glad because that's us, we're the War and Treaty." I looked past him and sure enough there was the drummer and the sax player (I couldn't really see them earlier) and he kind of moved between the organ and guitar. I told him I was sure glad I didn't shit on the set and we chatted a little about the tour and they trip West for it.

I went to go see Anderson Paak for the first time with OKP's own Bombastic back in February on a trip to Philly. I kinda wish I'd saved my first AP show for this upcoming tour, which has much better guests and a much better album to support. But the show was good anyway. $72 a ticket seemed rich but it was what it was, and we had a good time. I'll definitely go to this upcoming tour.

I saw The Internet, I guess that was in late '18 though. They did not disappoint, great sampling of tracking from the new record and the first two. It was at HOB in Vegas. There is something I really hate about shows in Vegas but this managed to deliver a pretty normal crowd and a nice set.

We saw Action Bronson a couple times with Mayhem Lauren and Roc Marciano. It was aight, some of the ML set was fiya, Bronson delivered. I met him at an event that same weekend. Cool enough guy but he was stoned AF, kind of hard to talk to. Mayhem was also there, he was a lot more lucid and personable.

Saw DMX against my better judgment. Twice we'd been stood up by him at previous shows. This one was fucking garbage. No opener. They trotted out some bum to stall for time at one point and it was pretty much like aural rape. DMX's set wasn't much better. He had himself on the record behind him for moments where he couldn't breathe properly or remember the lyrics. He played for less than an hour. It was the "It's Dark and Hell is Hot" tour yet he played maybe three songs from that record. All in all it was a colossal ripoff and a shitty show, but we knew the risk going in and at least he showed up.