Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectYea i read all those pieces over the weekend.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13305789&mesg_id=13306442
13306442, Yea i read all those pieces over the weekend.
Posted by Vex_id, Sun Jan-13-19 12:42 PM

>jacobin is a well-known lefty rag and mehdi hasan is a staff
>writer for theintercept. if shes even getting heavy criticism
>from *them* then its gonna hard for her to find a path
>forward.

A lot of the Jacobin critique was based on stances that she no longer holds. I'm dealing with what she currently votes for, advocates for and believes in - i.e. what her policies are *now*

What's interesting about the Hasan critique is that if you actually look into it, Gabbard's over-arching policy in the mid-east is essentially identical to Hasan's (who has called out the U.S./Saudi/Israeli plot to transform the mid-east in their favor).

Listen to what she said even on Van Jones last night about Syria -- she said that our troops shouldn't be there to further a proxy war that is aimed to precipitate regime change in Iran. We are only authorized to be there to oust al-qaeda & ISIS - and that's not why we're there. In fact, we've aided them (directly and indirectly) in an effort to top Assad and create regime-change there. That's precisely what Hasan has been speaking out against for years.

Saying you're not in support of regime-change in Syria is *not* the same as being pro-Assad. Many were not pro Saddam Hussein but they did not want to go to war and install a faux-government there in his place (for fear of the vacuum that would be created) --- and they were right.

>you misread my comment. im saying she didnt support it (or
>even join the progressive caucus) til mid/late last year.

Ok - but look at her on the issues:

https://www.votetulsi.com/vision

Progressive AF. This whole "she didn't join this D group or that D group" sounds an awful lot like "Bernie's not a real Democrat" type of smearing. Let's look at her actual policies and not what gang she claims

>the more i think think about it...the more im beginning to
>think only die-hard sanders supporters think she is a
>progressive. general progressives seem to be able to see her
>for who she really is.

If there were the case - you wouldn't have everyone in progressive independent media from TYT to The Real News supporting her candidacy - because they actually understand what her policy positions are.

-->