Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectTo Me It's Not Worth Paying For Just A Few Channels
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13304117&mesg_id=13345783
13345783, To Me It's Not Worth Paying For Just A Few Channels
Posted by Dj Joey Joe, Sat Aug-31-19 01:14 AM
I don't mind it cause when it's free, I'll listen to it, but I'm always shuffling around from my preset stations, cause I'm very picky about what I hear.

I listen to the comedy channels more than anything but it's like six of them and even with those some channels just repeat the same routines over & over & over, so I'm skipping around & around every five minutes.

With the music channels, the "80's on 80's" is cool but it's a lot of crappy tunes from that era they slip in every 3rd or 4th song, same goes with "1st Wave" channel but at least they play a lot more non-singles cuts than the 80's channel.

The rap channels suck ass, it's basically two worth listening to, and those depend on when it's a hosted/Dj show instead of their random selections, "Rap Is Outta Control" with Dj Eclipse & Dj Riz, and "Live At Headqcourterz" with Dj Premier are the only two shows I would even want XM Radio for, they use to be on channel 44 but Shade45 invited them to come to their station now.

I do like Lord Sear's show on Shade45 cause he's just hilarious and once in a while will play some dope underground joints, I like Sway In The Morning, it's a decent morning show, but not every guest he has worth listening to, even Sway's dj isn't that good when it comes to song selection, but neither is Dj Envy on the Breakfast Club; but when these shows aren't on, 99% of the time these stations are playing nothing but trap music which I don't listen to.

The edm channels is what really irks me, there's like two channels that basically play the same shit, Diplo's channel is what you expect and the "Chill" channel is more like laid back trance, new tech-house, and euro-downtempo (they say deep house is play on this station too, but that's a damn lie, no chicago or ny deep house, no soulful house played at all, not even uk garage); and then there is "Studio 54" is just plain old disco classics playing the same shit over & over.

I'm not into sports so those channels are no use to me, and the news channels aren't really my thing cause I'm so use to listening to my local NPR stations if I want to listen to news channels and every city you go to has at least one you can pick up; I will say I do listen to "The Urban View" channel once in a while.

Overall XM Radio is still missing some sub-genres like underground hip-hop, there's no prog-rock station, the jazz station is getting into more 00's smooth jazz but no smooth jazz or jazz fusion from the 70's & 80's though; there's no real deep house tunes being played, not even 90's detroit acid house, they also need a afro-beat station too.

I guess I'm just too picky about what I would like to hear and that's why I still keep an USB stick in the car, I keep my usb's divided by genres depending on the mood I'm in.