Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI have it, I dig it, but I might get rid of it.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13304117&mesg_id=13304120
13304120, I have it, I dig it, but I might get rid of it.
Posted by bigkarma, Mon Dec-31-18 10:29 AM
It came with a free two year subscription when I bought a car ten years ago, and I kept it going because I got hooked on certain shows and channels. Since then I have a new car as well as my wife's car, and I just kept it going.

Nowadays, though, I feel it might be an unnecessary expense. I don't have a very long commute to work, and I telework two days a week, so I'm not in the car as much these days.

Being a subscriber I can also stream through the phone app. So I can listen at work or in the gym. But I can get the same service and some of the same shows through iheart radio or various other free streaming services. For two cars, I pay a little under a $100 a quarter, and I can think of some more important things I can do with $400 a year.

Mostly I listen to sports radio. Local sports radio in Atlanta sucks, so on Sirius I can listen to ESPN Radio and Barstool Sports, as well as Fight Nation, for boxing and MMA talk. On a daily basis I listen to Dan Lebatard, Stephen A. Smith, and the Luke Thomas Show (MMA and guy talk).

Music-wise the stations are good, but nothing you can't get on every other streaming service out there.

I will admit that on a long road trip, satellite radio is imperative. I don't know how I drove cross country without it.

I'm considering just going with unlimited data on my phone and just streaming through my car stereo, and dropping Sirius. The extra bucks it would cost to upgrade my data plan is less than $400 a year.