Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectDude, I SAW THE MOVIE. lol. (some very mild spoilers within)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13303641&mesg_id=13319484
13319484, Dude, I SAW THE MOVIE. lol. (some very mild spoilers within)
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Mar-13-19 04:08 PM
>of yourself......uh....that has been a theme connected to
>drug use in culture before?
>
>
>uh......
>
>
>You've never heard of a cultural touchstone where drugs are
>the culprit to making someone a "different person" yet that's
>still the same person?
>
>
>"Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" perhaps?

Just because you use a bunch of ellipses and say "uh" patronizingly doesn't mean you're right and I'm the idiot. So don't treat me like an asshole when I'm trying to answer questions here.

As I said above in my answer that you seemingly didn't read, I'm sure you could find a way to "project" most anything into the film. It's very broad thematically. And yes, there are broad Jekyll and Hyde allusions at play, obviously, in the sense that Peele is exploring duality.

But the Hydes here are external, not internal, for a reason-- which is a hugely key difference. And the Hydes aren't relegated to just one race or one class, every single person in the country has one. We spend real time seeing white people attacked by their own doubles in the film. I could go more in depth into this, but I won't to avoid spoilers-- suffice it to say, the movie makes it very explicit that this is not a specific race problem or a specific group problem.

While you can find imagery, lines, scenes, etc. specific to make this setup in the film about class, political affiliation, Trumpism, etc.-- broader things that divide us in this world today-- you have to strain to make this movie about some specific drug-related read in any way. However people read this film, it'll have to be about something that divides the country irrespective of gender, race, or age. Because if you try to narrow it down, there's going to be a ton of stuff in the film that simply doesn't work for your read.