Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI saw the movie last night. (No spoilers in this post.)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13303641&mesg_id=13318970
13318970, I saw the movie last night. (No spoilers in this post.)
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Mar-11-19 10:06 PM
From my PTP review: It's very fun. Plenty of scares and laughs, little puzzle pieces of foreshadowing sprinkled throughout, the actors are dynamite, it's gorgeously shot, and the music is fantastic. Peele's basically playing with Spielberg, Shyamalan, and Haneke all rolled into one here-- which are definitely good thriller directors to use as reference points. Like Get Out, it hits its crowd-pleasing beats beautifully.

One complaint: it's *way* less specific thematically than Get Out... to the point where I'm not sure if Peele even has a specific theme in mind here. It felt at times like he was tossing a lot at the wall to see what stuck. Get Out was incredibly tight-- that was one idea beautifully fleshed out, and here we've got a bunch of allusions and references without that clear through-line. I don't mind the ambition-- it's still an insanely fun flick, and the broadness will certainly allow people to project their own personal stuff into the movie-- but don't go in expecting something as tight as Get Out.

Still, no sophomore slump here. He's constructed another big-hit horror flick here. It honestly has a *very* Twilight Zone vibe, so it also serves to make me more excited for Peele's Twilight Zone reboot too.

And if anyone wants questions answered re: specific material/themes/etc, I'm happy to give my thoughts on those. Those may or may not verge into spoiler territory, though.