Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectJordan Peele's Us
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13303641
13303641, Jordan Peele's Us
Posted by j0510, Tue Dec-25-18 09:47 AM
Us - Official Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNCmb-4oXJA
13303643, RE: Jordan Peele's Us
Posted by sersey, Tue Dec-25-18 10:26 AM
Ok so this looks like its a well executed film. BUT.... I don’t really need black horror films as a genre. The only thing I want out of a horror flick is a compelling plot, good acting, and freakishly scary visuals. I don’t need my horror to speak to my cultural upbringing with Luniz references and HU sweaters. Get Out was lightning in a bottle. Let it live on it’s own.

Where I like to see us represented is in comedy and dramas. I’d rather see Peele put his energy into comedic projects, that offers a younger, more hip hop alternative to the brand of films that Tyler Perry puts out.
13303644, RE: Jordan Peele's Us
Posted by rdhull, Tue Dec-25-18 10:37 AM
>Ok so this looks like its a well executed film. BUT.... I
>don’t really need black horror films as a genre. The only
>thing I want out of a horror flick is a compelling plot, good
>acting, and freakishly scary visuals. I don’t need my horror
>to speak to my cultural upbringing with Luniz references and
>HU sweaters. Get Out was lightning in a bottle. Let it live on
>it’s own.
>
>Where I like to see us represented is in comedy and dramas.
>I’d rather see Peele put his energy into comedic projects,
>that offers a younger, more hip hop alternative to the brand
>of films that Tyler Perry puts out.
>

We alredy have that. The horror genre is a long ass time coming and now its here.
13303645, TFW when the tokp response is the first response
Posted by navajo joe, Tue Dec-25-18 10:59 AM
13303646, What makes this a black horror film?
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Tue Dec-25-18 11:04 AM
From the preview, it looks like a horror movie where the main characters just happen to be black.

As black characters, they are probably going to live like black folks
13303711, *SMH* man even your conditioning has been conditioning.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Dec-26-18 09:48 AM
In other words, you'd prefer if this movie starred.... white people?

Man please spend some time reading what you wrote here and analyze where it comes from.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
13303962, RE: *SMH* man even your conditioning has been conditioning.
Posted by RaphaelSoulLee, Fri Dec-28-18 01:57 PM
LMAO!!! That just came on before I came back in the office. "Good hair?..."
13303771, Someone prolly drove a dump truck full of 100 dollar bills to his house
Posted by Triptych, Wed Dec-26-18 06:14 PM
like "make another one".

Can't blame the guy
13304039, Peele says this film isn't about race tho.
Posted by Damali, Sat Dec-29-18 02:16 PM
so is it technically "another one"?

Black Mirror has made dystopian horror wildly popular right now so I'm happy our folk are jumping in and staying in

d
13303873, There is zero shortage of black comedies and dramas.
Posted by Monkey Genius, Thu Dec-27-18 05:15 PM
13303999, Nope. I can't let this go.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Fri Dec-28-18 04:26 PM
" I don’t need my horror to speak to my cultural upbringing with Luniz references and HU sweaters. Get Out was lightning in a bottle."

How else can I interpret this to mean that you would have no push back or issue if this was Paul Rudd wearing a Tufts sweatshirt and Steely Dan was the soundtrack?

Why is it featuring black actors and black signifiers and issue?

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

13304049, Exactly smh
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Sat Dec-29-18 05:04 PM
13304029, There are PLENTY of Black comedies and dramas spanning DECADES....
Posted by The Wordsmith, Sat Dec-29-18 12:46 AM
...but two Black horror flicks in recent years is just too much for you. Good grief.

Since 1976
13303651, Looks dope.
Posted by Ryan M, Tue Dec-25-18 12:01 PM
13303652, Loved how they flipped I Got 5 On It!!!
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Dec-25-18 12:28 PM
13303663, using African-American glorification of drug-use song to introduce
Posted by c71, Tue Dec-25-18 03:09 PM
a film about Black self-destruction
13303665, You trying too hard. Merry Christmas.
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Dec-25-18 04:20 PM
13303670, Nothing in a film is by accident. To have a pro-drug song
Posted by c71, Tue Dec-25-18 06:40 PM
in a movie about Black self-destruction AND having the pro-drug song the first thing in the preview is telling you what is the aim (the little girl actually tells her brother the song is about drugs).

The film is connecting "Us" Blacks to destruction and drugs.
13304040, have you seen the film?
Posted by Damali, Sat Dec-29-18 02:17 PM
13303886, RE: using African-American glorification of drug-use song to introduce
Posted by double 0, Thu Dec-27-18 08:24 PM
Are you afraid of a little weed?
13303668, brilliant.
Posted by Reeq, Tue Dec-25-18 05:13 PM
13304090, RE: Loved how they flipped I Got 5 On It!!!
Posted by Duc999, Sun Dec-30-18 07:54 PM
That was the first thing I thought. That orchestral version bumps (slaps as the yungins say).

Here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAPN5CGcQ0I

Did y'all peep that Lupita was off?
13303661, Since Peele is biracial, his first hit film critiqued White people
Posted by c71, Tue Dec-25-18 02:34 PM
but now that he has to change up, he's making a film where Black people are completely/totally their own worst enemy.

uh....

See?

He's trying to show balance. Metaphorically making Black people the bad guy to their own selves.
13303669, Or let it actually come out and see what it's about.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Tue Dec-25-18 06:28 PM
13303672, It's too late. Peele is already established. There is no escape
Posted by c71, Tue Dec-25-18 06:43 PM
Peele has been racial since Key & Peele. He went really racial with "get out"

He's taking his outsider status (exemplified by Arie Spears saying how much Peele ain't really Black - which Spears dialed back after "Get Out" was a hit) and turning it to Black people.

You can hope Peele ain't focusing his analysis on Black people, but that's just wishful thinking. He clearly is.
13303674, Us Trailer: Jordan Peele Explains Trailer (swipe)
Posted by navajo joe, Tue Dec-25-18 06:49 PM
http://collider.com/us-movie-trailer-explained-jordan-peele/#poster

Less than a year after winning an Oscar for Get Out, writer-director Jordan Peele introduced the trailer for his new horror movie Us to a select group of journalists last week in Los Angeles.

While the film has been shrouded in secrecy since it was first announced, Peele explained that Us stars Lupita Nyong’o and Winston Duke from Black Panther, as well as child actors Shahadi Wright Joseph (soon to be heard as young Nala in The Lion King) and Evan Alex. In the vaguest of terms, they play a family who encounter uninvited guests at their beach house. Emmy winner Elisabeth Moss (The Handmaid’s Tale) and Tim Heidecker co-star as family friends. It’s still unclear who Yahya Abdul-Mateen II (Aquaman) and Anna Diop are playing, but they co-star alongside Kara Hayward, Nathan Harrington and twins Cali and Noelle Sheldon, while Jack Nicholson‘s grandson Duke Nicholson also has a small role.

us-movie-image-lupita-nyongo-kids
Image via Universal Pictures

Peele said it was important for him to cast a black family at the center of a horror movie, though he specifically said that unlike Get Out, his new film is “not about race.” Instead, Peele revealed that it’s “about something I feel has become an undeniable truth, and that is the simple fact that we are our own worst enemies.” That’s certainly what the copy in the trailer is emphasizing. While Peele may be steering clear of race this time around, Us still seems inherently political, as if Peele has fashioned a monster out of our inner demons and the darkest impulses that we keep repressed.

“I dedicated a lot of myself to creating a new horror mythology, and a new monster,” said Peele, who called Us “a labor of love.” Peele said he likes operating in the horror genre because it allows him to confront societal fears. Peele hopes the trailer will be a “nice, eerie, creepy-ass gift” for genre fans as they celebrate the holidays with their families. You’ve probably seen it by now, but if you’ve been too busy opening presents then CLICK HERE RIGHT NOW.

us-movie-image-family
Image via Universal Pictures

The trailer opens with Duke and Nyong’o driving to their beach house with their daughter and young son, who is wearing a mask. The Luniz song “I Got Five On It” is playing over the car stereo. The family meets up with Moss and Heidecker on the beach and the boy wanders off, eventually crossing paths with a blood-soaked man carrying a pair of scissors. Later that night, the family is startled when another family appears menacingly in their driveway. “It’s probably the neighbors,” they think. But we soon come to learn that it’s not the neighbors. “It’s us.” Yes, it seems that the family is attacking itself. “They look like us. They think like us… and they won’t stop until they kill us, or we kill them.” Nyongo’s tells her son, “stick with me and I’ll keep you safe,” but of course, that’s easier said than done. I mean, how do you prevent your daughter from strangling herself? I can’t wait to see this movie, because the trailer left me with even more questions than I had when I knew nothing about Us.

After the trailer ended (to much applause from press), Peele ran out on the stage and pantomimed a mic drop before the studio played the trailer one more time. And then that was it. There was no Q&A with Peele. We still don’t know who wears the awesome glove as seen on the poster, nor do we know the significance of the scissors, the red robes, and what Universal and Peele have referred to as “the untethering.” Also… what’s with all the rabbits? We’ll just have to wait and see.

As I left the Universal lot, I couldn’t help but think to myself, ‘the Candyman remake is in good hands.’ Once you’ve seen the first trailer for Us, let me know what you think on Twitter and in the comments section below.
13303675, "the simple fact that we are our own worst enemies."
Posted by c71, Tue Dec-25-18 06:56 PM
I didn't have to read that in the swipe you posted. I could tell that from the preview itself

but...

thanks for posting for the others to see.

I guess we don't have to wait and see now, do we?
13303677, No, Chief Queef, I guess we don’t. You solved it. Good job.
Posted by B9, Tue Dec-25-18 07:23 PM

>I guess we don't have to wait and see now, do we?

Anything else I can dismiss out of hand?
13303678, yep, solved
Posted by c71, Tue Dec-25-18 07:26 PM
yep
13303679, except he was talking about people in general
Posted by navajo joe, Tue Dec-25-18 07:40 PM
but go ahead.
13303680, for the 2nd time. Nothing in film is an accident. Nothing
Posted by c71, Tue Dec-25-18 07:44 PM
If Peele wanted to, from the Velvet Underground to Iggy Pop to Nirvana, he could have had a white family listening to some drug referencing rock songs and had a white little girl tell her white little brother her parents white rock music was about drugs.

but....

It was a Black family having that discussing the first thing in the trailer ....in a movie about "we being our own worst enemy."

that is the point Peele is CHOOSING to make with the racial group he choose to cast (not by accident).

He's always been racial.
13303681, Nigga, I worked in film for years
Posted by navajo joe, Tue Dec-25-18 07:49 PM
So miss me with that shit.

I forgot I was talking to a dumb nigga who is too dumb to realize he's a dumb nigga.

Good luck with life
13303682, wishing and hoping it's not about what it's clearly showing
Posted by c71, Tue Dec-25-18 07:55 PM
not a white family talking about drugged up Iggy Pop songs.
13303709, I'm waiting for the "I'm Jordan Peele" reveal...
Posted by KingMonte, Wed Dec-26-18 09:29 AM
Otherwise you sound like another lowest common denominator character that argues their opinions as facts.
13304065, People have been extrapolating film plots from trailers forever
Posted by spirit, Sun Dec-30-18 03:20 AM
And, for what it’s worth, I think C71’s educated guess of the theme of the movie is a decent theory, backed by the actual article above with the quote saying the film is about the enemy being “us”, in addition to what we can actually see on the screen in the trailer. As such, I am not interested in this film at all. I don’t think the enemy of black people is black people. We didn’t redline our own neighborhoods, refuse to hire ourselves for jobs, create food deserts in our communities etc. The premise is flawed if the premise is that black people are our own worst enemy. I won’t be buying a ticket, unless I get some information that indicates that there is an entirely different premise being presented. I’m not even sure a race neutral premise (the worst enemy of any person is themselves) works in the context of Black actors being cast as the leads in this film, considering things like Jim Crow, slavery, colonialism, etc.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com
13303713, Go even deeper
Posted by Marauder21, Wed Dec-26-18 09:52 AM
The song is called "I Got Five On It."

Which is five words long and also includes the number 5.

Five squared is 25.

Y is the 25th letter of the alphabet.

By including it in the trailer (and not just including it, but foregrounding it,) he's really using it to ask "why," as in "why do the absolute dumbest people on the internet insist on projecting their own weird bullshit on to a trailer for a movie they'll never see?"
13303715, lol
Posted by ambient1, Wed Dec-26-18 09:59 AM
13303720, lol
Posted by Pete Burns, Wed Dec-26-18 10:47 AM
13303732, lmao
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Dec-26-18 12:14 PM
13303910, Haha
Posted by B9, Fri Dec-28-18 10:03 AM
13304042, i love you
Posted by Damali, Sat Dec-29-18 02:20 PM
13304585, so mad I'm just now reading this thread! LOL!!!
Posted by FLUIDJ, Fri Jan-04-19 07:34 AM

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
13318670, right?!? this reply was pure brilliance!
Posted by Ray_Snill, Sat Mar-09-19 09:50 PM

<=========================================
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/PYzh4v9cSf4FDnq3yMQyqNqh79o=/800x0/filters:no_upscale%28%29/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4079674/jlio.0.gif
13304148, Other than possibly having a different song playing, how would this trailer
Posted by Adwhizz, Mon Dec-31-18 01:57 PM
Have been different if it starred a White family?

Substance abuse/domestic violence/greed or any other moral shortcoming that could potentially inferred from the small amount of footage we saw doesn't just affect Black people.

We know very little about what the film is going to be about, for all we know the evil clone family could be some aliens come to take over Earth.

A movie where all the protagonists have all of their shittogether, have no challenges to overcome and always do exactly what they're supposed to do would be a very boring movie

13442016, I wasn't THAT far off here
Posted by Adwhizz, Tue Sep-14-21 12:35 PM

>We know very little about what the film is going to be about,
>for all we know the evil clone family could be some aliens
>come to take over Earth.
>

I was reminded of this picture after seeing a review on my current Youtube obsession channel
13303874, lol that is a funny theory but left something out.
Posted by Lurkmode, Thu Dec-27-18 05:57 PM
Peele stole this from Ice Cube, notice the title and the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Doxk9HIC83E
13303880, that Cube song is pretty racial. So......if you believe that song
Posted by c71, Thu Dec-27-18 06:31 PM
and the Peele movie are connected, you got quite a few folks in here who want to believe that Peele "this movie ain't about race" denial to spar with.
13304066, “Not about race” meaning no white antagonists?
Posted by spirit, Sun Dec-30-18 03:24 AM
The Ice Cube song was the first thing I thought of after I watched the trailer. I was wondering where he was going with the title until I saw the doppelgängers and then I was like “yeahhh I’m not interested in this at all”

Interesting choice to make the male and female leads African nationals. Is he gonna go for an African nationalist angle that the continent’s “worst enemy” is themselves or are the doppelgängers supposed to be (metaphorically) African Americans? Y’all tell me when you see it because I won’t be.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
13318655, winston duke aint african
Posted by howardlloyd, Sat Mar-09-19 06:22 PM
he from TNT

13303666, Can we not over analzye this film to death before it comes out?
Posted by nipsey, Tue Dec-25-18 04:53 PM
I know it's inevitable, but folks are going to read way too much into this movie like they did with "Get Out". Let this movie succeed or fail on its own merit of being an entertaining film. No need to psycho analyze every frame of film and be upset when the film isn't what you want it to be.
13303673, Peele has his focus. He just does. Had it with Key & Peele
Posted by c71, Tue Dec-25-18 06:44 PM
And he clearly has it again here.

I don't want the film to be anything. He is focusing on Black self-destruction.
13318682, Yeah, seems that way don't it?
Posted by kayru99, Sun Mar-10-19 11:31 AM
I hope it ain't that anti-Black, but I definitely see your interpretation
13304035, No!
Posted by squeeg, Sat Dec-29-18 12:23 PM
13303671, very interesting to see who is playing in these roles
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Tue Dec-25-18 06:40 PM
doesn't appear to be very stereotypical (or is it?). can't wait to see what peele is
getting at with this one...Us? US? U.S.?
13303676, that orchestral flip of "I Got 5 On It" tho.
Posted by PROMO, Tue Dec-25-18 07:14 PM
13303685, I hope that makes it into the score and isn’t just for the trailer
Posted by IkeMoses, Tue Dec-25-18 08:44 PM
13303690, That was hard
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Tue Dec-25-18 10:01 PM
13303708, Looks like it could be good, but let people be mad
Posted by Marauder21, Wed Dec-26-18 09:07 AM
13303710, C71 is clearly right. Plus, people are going in on the fact
Posted by Teknontheou, Wed Dec-26-18 09:35 AM
that most of the cast are black, not Black.
13303712, "Clearly"?
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Dec-26-18 09:50 AM
There is nothing that is clear about what this movie is about from the Trailer or Peele's statements about the movie.

But yall please, tell us more what this movie is about before it comes out so we can come back and clown yall when it finally drops.

Let the overanalyzing of this movie begin!!!!

13303714, This is worse than True Detective S1
Posted by Marauder21, Wed Dec-26-18 09:53 AM
When people lost their minds when it didn't address the imaginary conspiracies that only they could see.
13303718, Y'all are resisting this because you dont want the movie
Posted by Teknontheou, Wed Dec-26-18 10:35 AM
to be about this, because that type of message is out of fashion with the black smart set nowadays. It's too close to pound cake speech/respectability politics stuff, which is anathema. And we all generally like Jordan Peele, so there's a cognitive dissonance now.
13303719, Exactly, especially on Jordan Peele being accepted now
Posted by c71, Wed Dec-26-18 10:47 AM
which wasn't a given, especially when his peer Ari Spears had a lot of "he's an outsider" criticism of Peele.

The thing is Peele said in that swipe from reply #17 (that supposedly isn't making things somewhat clear) that he is bringing up psychology issues that people repress/deny/resist whatever. And.........with his own biracial history/perspective (he's said to have had words with Ari Spears after Spears said that critical stuff about him) it is pretty easy to see that Peele (yes, even if he is smart/skilled/talented enough to pull this "Us" film in a "murkier" direction/message) is talking about his OWN repressed/not wanting to be direct feelings about Black people.

That's why Peele denying it (film supposedly not about race) in that reply #17 swipe is sort of like him battling what he's repressing.

So this is pretty fascinating however this turns out.
13303723, or we're waiting to see the actual movie?
Posted by Bluebear, Wed Dec-26-18 10:58 AM
13303724, the issues Peele brings up, in the preview and that repy #17
Posted by c71, Wed Dec-26-18 11:02 AM
swipe.....

....are not issues you can just bring up and then side swipe them or push them under the rug.

The fact that the issues are brought up at all (with his biracial identity and history of racial commentary art) is clearly showing that those issues are a part of the film - esp. a film that is exploring repressed psychological issues that people don't want to face.

13303726, No one is side stepping anything? We haven't seen themovie
Posted by Bluebear, Wed Dec-26-18 11:30 AM
How can you critique something without actually seeing it? You're literally going off of a 3 minute trailer (Which btw, are designed not to give everything-especially key twists) away.
13303727, I'm not critique-ing the movie, I'm saying what the "thrust" is
Posted by c71, Wed Dec-26-18 11:34 AM
the issues that are being "brought up" in the movie

Peele can make a great or terrible movie out of the issues in the movie, but the issues still are the issues.

The theme's brought up. The fact that his history makes Peele incapable of not saying something racial when there are clearly racial things in the trailer.
13303824, This the same nigga that basically said Lasik causes suicide
Posted by Mafamaticks, Thu Dec-27-18 12:38 PM
You gotta expect yo to jump out the window and make wild declarative statements without knowing everything
13303828, hmmmm....
Posted by c71, Thu Dec-27-18 12:49 PM
I wonder......?
13303884, I am resistant to drawing conclusions with so little information. Even
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Dec-27-18 08:00 PM
if the movie turns out to be about what you say it is, it won't mean you were somehow right. It will only mean you were willing to draw conclusions earlier than I was.

13303885, perception is perception
Posted by c71, Thu Dec-27-18 08:08 PM
Teknontheou agreed in reply #30

Slate.com agreed (reply #47 - which IkeMoses tried to dismiss because of the author's race in reply #52).

I'm satisfied
13303924, Takes my 5 back... I don’t want no parts of what yall smoked.
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Dec-28-18 11:10 AM
13303716, great trailer
Posted by mista k5, Wed Dec-26-18 10:29 AM
seems like it gives away a lot but for all we know the movie takes a whole different turn so not going to assume anything about it.

definitely looking forward to seeing it.
13303750, Who’s the little girl with the pigtails?
Posted by MEAT, Wed Dec-26-18 01:30 PM
13303795, Slate.com analysis that Peele's "race" denials questionable - swipe
Posted by c71, Thu Dec-27-18 10:27 AM
"it nonetheless seems to be stretching the truth to say race doesn’t play a major part."

https://slate.com/culture/2018/12/jordan-peeles-us-trailer-race.html

BROW BEAT
In the Trailer for Jordan Peele’s Us, We Are Our Own Worst Enemy—Literally

By SAM ADAMS

DEC 26, 201812:39 PM

The week before Christmas, Jordan Peele took the unusual step of screening a trailer for his second movie, Us, to a small group of film writers in New York and Los Angeles. He didn’t seem entirely sure what he was doing there himself—why does a two-minute trailer designed to introduce audiences to a movie need its own introduction?—but since he was, he had one particular point he wanted to make: Unlike his Oscar-winning Get Out, he told his select audience, Us “is not about race.”

Based on the trailer, which has racked up almost 5 million YouTube views in the last day, that’s a claim that’s going to require some scrutiny. The movie centers on a family, composed of parents played by Winston Duke and Lupita Nyong’o, and their two children, who are menaced by their exact doppelgangers: four figures who appear out of the woods near their house and take on their forms, apparently intent on killing and replacing them. Duke’s character, clad in a Howard sweatshirt, brandishes a baseball bat and offers to “get crazy” with the half-seen intruders,” but the threat rings hollow: Whatever his origins, he’s now an upper middle class guy who owns a boat and has white friends (Elisabeth Moss and Tim Heidecker) who say things like “It’s vodka o’clock.” In the opening scene, Duke’s character is driving his family when Luniz’s weed-smoking anthem “I Got 5 on It” comes on the stereo. He proclaims it a “classic,” but his young son doesn’t know it at all, and when his wife tells the child to feel the song’s beat, she can’t quite seem to snap in time with it. When the intruders break into their home, Duke refers to them as “you people.”

According to Peele, the theme of Us is that “we are our own worst enemy,” which the movie appears to take to audaciously literal lengths. It looks scary as hell, and proves that the trend of slowing down songs to give trailers a little extra creepiness works for hip-hop as well as pop. Moreover, the list of movies Peele gave Nyong’o to prepare for the role includes some extremely exciting forbears—not just obvious progenitors like The Shining and Funny Games but The Babadook and the terrifying Korean ghost story A Tale of Two Sisters—none of which are in the allegorical “social horror” traditional in which Peele placed Get Out. (He’s apparently saving those stories for his Twilight Zone reboot.) But if it’s not a full-on parable about race in America, it nonetheless seems to be stretching the truth to say race doesn’t play a major part. (Merely casting Heidecker, who excels at embodying a form of oblivious white privilege, feels like a judgement.) Like any advance promotion, Peele’s statement seems to have more to do with how he hopes the movie will be talked about than the movie itself. Whether or not audiences and critics play along will be interesting to see.
13303796, A think piece on a trailer?
Posted by MEAT, Thu Dec-27-18 10:46 AM
13303797, If a denial seems shaky, because trailers are not designed by
Posted by c71, Thu Dec-27-18 11:00 AM
accident, then yes, the denial will be examined.

Why would a director DESIGN a trailer that seemingly goes against his denial?

edit: It was not just a think piece on a trailer, it was also examining the "unusual" step of Peele trying to shape how the film will be received with that event that he held where Peele made the denial.
13303798, It’s not even a good trailer narratively so I have no clue
Posted by MEAT, Thu Dec-27-18 11:11 AM
Maybe to sell a movie?
13303799, Is the event where he made the denial supposed to sell the movie, too?
Posted by c71, Thu Dec-27-18 11:12 AM
?
13303806, That’s a question that if answered wouldn’t let you know anything
Posted by MEAT, Thu Dec-27-18 11:54 AM
It’s not a full project at the moment.
It’s a movie trailer and some limited press. All parts of the movie promotion process.
The question you’re asking won’t be fully answerable until after the movie in total comes out.
13303810, Tells me he's concerned about what his trailer is saying
Posted by c71, Thu Dec-27-18 11:59 AM
That's why the Slate.com piece noted that it was an "unusual" step to hold an event like that.
13303812, k
Posted by MEAT, Thu Dec-27-18 12:01 PM
13303801, you posting white people shit to defend your argument. you lost, bro.
Posted by IkeMoses, Thu Dec-27-18 11:30 AM
13303808, nah, I don't think so
Posted by c71, Thu Dec-27-18 11:56 AM
but nice try at deflection

yep
13303804, it's so fucked up that some black people
Posted by Rjcc, Thu Dec-27-18 11:52 AM
can see a black cast in a movie and immediately fear that the movie is saying bad shit about black people.

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
13303809, Hmmm.....raises the question why Peele had that event
Posted by c71, Thu Dec-27-18 11:57 AM
to make that denial if the trailer wasn't saying something he was trying to dispel somehow.
13303811, I'm sorry they hurt you.
Posted by Rjcc, Thu Dec-27-18 12:00 PM

13303813, The strangest of hills to die on.
Posted by MEAT, Thu Dec-27-18 12:01 PM
13303816, I don't think I'm dying
Posted by c71, Thu Dec-27-18 12:03 PM
nope
13303814, you are?
Posted by c71, Thu Dec-27-18 12:02 PM
hmmm........
13303820, you doubt that a black man can tell the truth?
Posted by Rjcc, Thu Dec-27-18 12:13 PM

13303822, My perceptiveness evaluates the evidence
Posted by c71, Thu Dec-27-18 12:18 PM
that's the way it goes with analyzing art and messages.

I don't deny what there due to wishful thinking of wanting a figurehead to be my spokesperson/idol.
13303823, what
Posted by Rjcc, Thu Dec-27-18 12:31 PM

13303827, yeah
Posted by c71, Thu Dec-27-18 12:49 PM
that
13304010, your sentence is confusing.
Posted by tariqhu, Fri Dec-28-18 07:16 PM
what did you mean?
13304016, I'm evaluating what I see in the trailer
Posted by c71, Fri Dec-28-18 09:16 PM
Peele fans here are ignoring what's in the trailer because (like Teknontheou said in reply #37) "we all generally like Jordan Peele, so there's a cognitive dissonance now"

I'm evaluating what's in the trailer

Peele fans are saying what's in the trailer doesn't matter because the movie could have more scenes that somehow disqualify what's in the trailer.

My sentence wasn't confusing at all.

13304020, yeah, its confusing. read it again.
Posted by tariqhu, Fri Dec-28-18 10:10 PM
so, you gathered that this movie is about self-destruction. fine. maybe it is. maybe it isn't.
13304030, you think this sentence makes sense?
Posted by Rjcc, Sat Dec-29-18 01:57 AM
"I don't deny what there due to wishful thinking of wanting a figurehead to be my spokesperson/idol."

13304068, Read what as what’s
Posted by spirit, Sun Dec-30-18 03:45 AM
That sentence makes sense.

He’s saying he won’t denying what he sees in the trailer (black people faced with a mortal enemy that is a variation of themselves) because he thinks Peele would not follow through on such a self-defeating premise after making a film like Get Out. At this point, all we have is theories. And C71’s theory is decent enough. So good that no one in this thread has offered any ideas of other potential premises based on what we have seen so far. If the premise isn’t what C71 thinks it is, what do y’all think the movie will be about? Trailers are designed to stir up fan interest and get you wondering what a film is about. No one has a different theory?

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
13304149, maybe try reading again.
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Dec-31-18 02:01 PM
the black man he accused of lying was me.

but go on and type more paragraphs

13304572, “You are?” = a question, not an accusation.
Posted by spirit, Thu Jan-03-19 11:53 PM
How you jumped from being asked a question to saying you were being called a liar is beyond me.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
13310052, it either is or it is not.
Posted by Rjcc, Tue Jan-29-19 01:58 AM

13304075, RE: Hmmm.....raises the question why Peele had that event
Posted by Birdzeye, Sun Dec-30-18 06:07 AM
>to make that denial if the trailer wasn't saying something he
>was trying to dispel somehow.

I just made a similar point.. I wonder why you didn’t get an actual answer?
13304154, oh my bad no one told you definitively what jordan peele
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Dec-31-18 02:06 PM
is thinking, since we're all directly connected to his brain and can speak for him.

how do y'all cross the street without getting hit by buses?

13303889, my only issue is march freakin 15
Posted by sosumi, Thu Dec-27-18 09:59 PM
forget the box office hype and just put in on netflix/demand...

a quiet place could have been a black family

maybe even heredity, if it was about like voodoo instead or something...
13303977, and glass is out on jan 18, didn't even see that trailer until now...
Posted by sosumi, Fri Dec-28-18 03:12 PM
13303912, I’ve Got 5 On It
Posted by nipsey, Fri Dec-28-18 10:23 AM
‪Wait! Jordan Peele picked “I’ve Got 5 On It” because he thought it was a dope track and not some deeper meaning of Black folks’ fascination with drug culture making us our own worst enemy as Think Piece Twitter would have us to believe?‬

https://ew.com/trailers/2018/12/25/us-movie-trailer-jordan-peele/

“ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Why did you decide to use Luniz’s “I Got 5 On It”:

JORDAN PEELE: That song, it came pretty simple, I’m making a movie in Northern California, that’s a bay area hip-hop classic and I wanted to explore this very relatable journey of being a parent maybe some of the songs you listened to back in the day aren’t appropriate for your kids. So that was one level, and another part was, I love songs that have a great feeling but also have a haunting element to them and I feel like the beat in that song has this inherent cryptic energy, almost reminiscent of the Nightmare on Elm Street soundtrack. So those were the ideas that that song hit the bullseye on for me, and also, it’s just a dope track.”
13303923, It’s the destruction of our people due to ghoooost weeeeeeeed!!!!
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Dec-28-18 11:09 AM
That flip was disgustingly dope
13303939, RE: It’s the destruction of our people due to ghoooost weeeeeeeed!!!!
Posted by double 0, Fri Dec-28-18 12:07 PM
the ghooouullish doobie!!
13303942, then why did the girl character bring up drugs and the father
Posted by c71, Fri Dec-28-18 12:19 PM
react to what the girl said?

That didn't have to be included in the script - but it was.
13303944, It was in the trailer. No guarantee that it’s in the movie.
Posted by MEAT, Fri Dec-28-18 12:34 PM
Nor the song.
Have you ever watched a movie?
You recognize they’re different from the movie trailers right?
13303946, Two scenes from the Get Out trailer that didn’t make the movie
Posted by MEAT, Fri Dec-28-18 12:37 PM
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3425931/coolest-get-out-scenes-missing-jordan-peele/
13303948, 41 trailer scenes that didn’t make the movie
Posted by MEAT, Fri Dec-28-18 12:39 PM
https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/movies/47071/41-trailer-scenes-that-didn-t-make-the-final-film
13303958, He can take whatever he wants out of the trailer. The fact that it was in
Posted by c71, Fri Dec-28-18 01:41 PM
the trailer and the FIRST thing in the trailer says it's relevance.
13303975, lol
Posted by MEAT, Fri Dec-28-18 02:50 PM
13304045, you just CANNOT admit to being wrong LMAO you worse than Trump
Posted by Damali, Sat Dec-29-18 02:24 PM
you keep pivoting and twisting and turning and call it "critical analysis" lol

go sit the fuck down some where.

in fact, how about sitting your dumb ass in front of the actual movie.

d
13304069, None of you know he’s wrong until the movie comes out
Posted by spirit, Sun Dec-30-18 03:49 AM
You’re jumping to a conclusion as much as he is if you say his theory is definitively wrong when none of us have seen the film yet.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
13304081, both of his "conclusions" have been addressed by the director.
Posted by Damali, Sun Dec-30-18 02:13 PM
13304088, Directors lie.
Posted by Teknontheou, Sun Dec-30-18 07:04 PM
13304093, Not really.
Posted by spirit, Sun Dec-30-18 08:53 PM
C71 seems to be saying he thinks the premise is "the worst enemy for black folk is black folk"

Where did Peele explicitly say "this movie is NOT about the worst enemy of black folk being black folk"?

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
13304011, what? you're drawing conclusions from that?
Posted by tariqhu, Fri Dec-28-18 07:20 PM
the girl is older and knows the track is about drugs. the son is younger and the father doesn't want to have that discussion with him at that moment. I've done this with my own kids and I'm sure other folks have as well.

13304015, Yes, I'm drawing conclusions from that. The girl could have
Posted by c71, Fri Dec-28-18 09:10 PM
been preoccupied with a tablet and some headphones.

No scene has to have an exchange about drugs.

There was that exchange because the writer WANTED an exchange about drugs to be in the movie.
13304021, the scene wasn't about drugs.
Posted by tariqhu, Fri Dec-28-18 10:14 PM
the scene was about the interaction with the sis, bro, and pops discussing the song.

prolly getting into symantics and minutia at this point.

who said they put the scene in by mistake? nobody. this is more about you seeming to paint a whole movie, that's 3 months away, based on a trailer. trailers are meant to throw you off, but you can cook tho.
13304017, did you even read?
Posted by IkeMoses, Fri Dec-28-18 09:17 PM
“I wanted to explore this very relatable journey of being a parent maybe some of the songs you listened to back in the day aren’t appropriate for your kids.“

stop it. get some help.
13304018, Well, at least you're not using race again to disqualify
Posted by c71, Fri Dec-28-18 09:20 PM
evaluations.
13303952, That's one Illuminati ass answer
Posted by Innocent Criminal, Fri Dec-28-18 12:52 PM
Wise your dome and do the Alpha. Know the ledge young brotha.
13303972, ^^^part of the conspiracy
Posted by Rjcc, Fri Dec-28-18 02:35 PM

13304172, Ok I'll play, check the sample:
Posted by Lil Rabies, Mon Dec-31-18 04:09 PM
"Why you treat me so bad" - Club Noveau

A typical response to feeling betrayed by your own community?
13304019, damn this post somehow became more entertaining than the trailer.
Posted by Reeq, Fri Dec-28-18 09:54 PM
13304032, nah, we're supposed to tip-toe about our evaluations to not
Posted by c71, Sat Dec-29-18 05:12 AM
seem too "whatever"....on a messageboard.

yep
13304046, nah you're so supposed to admit you're wrong when you're proven wrong.
Posted by Damali, Sat Dec-29-18 02:27 PM
You were proven wrong multiple times in the post.

like, dude its ok to be wrong. it doesn't make you a bad person or not smart.

its ok to be like, ok i interepreted something one way, but actually it wasn't that. cool

d
13304048, see reply #110
Posted by c71, Sat Dec-29-18 03:23 PM
yep
13304047, A lot of you are shittin on c71 but..
Posted by Birdzeye, Sat Dec-29-18 03:20 PM
I can see what he’s getting at.

I watched the trailer and loved it. I caught the Luniz reference, which I suspected was put in the movie as a reference to black folk and the(supposed) glamorisation of drug culture.

I’ve heard the tag line about we are our own worst enemy and I immediately thought to myself that I hope they tread carefully with this line of black critique as I don’t need the average white person pointing the finger back at us on some ‘you destroying yourselves’ shit!

I get what Peele has said in that it’s about the universal ‘us’, but that still doesn’t mean he isn’t using the black experience for this metaphor even though the bigger picture is supposedly not race.

Only time will tell and I look forward to watching it.
13304050, See Post #77 and post #109
Posted by Mafamaticks, Sat Dec-29-18 05:55 PM
I'm gonna take a guess and say unlike c71 you could at least wait for the movie to make a definitive statement though.
13304054, firing off the missiles because of a possible interpretation
Posted by Rjcc, Sat Dec-29-18 07:35 PM
based on "you are your own worst enemy" and a black cast

13304055, drugs are not a neutral reference when it comes to Black people
Posted by c71, Sat Dec-29-18 08:23 PM
For the past several decades, any time the conditions of the Black community is discussed, the phrase "proliferation of drugs" is usually brought up. Hip-hop particularly is viewed as very drug-oriented.

Birdzeye wrote:

"I suspected was put in the movie as a reference to black folk and the(supposed) glamorisation of drug culture."

When drugs are brought up (first thing in the trailer) and the theme is revealed ("own worst enemy")....

...it doesn't seem believable that those things ("drugs" "own worst enemy") are unrelated.
13304070, RE: drugs are not a neutral reference when it comes to Black people
Posted by spirit, Sun Dec-30-18 03:58 AM
>For the past several decades, any time the conditions of the
>Black community is discussed, the phrase "proliferation of
>drugs" is usually brought up. Hip-hop particularly is viewed
>as very drug-oriented.
>
>Birdzeye wrote:
>
>"I suspected was put in the movie as a reference to black folk
>and the(supposed) glamorisation of drug culture."
>
>
>When drugs are brought up (first thing in the trailer) and the
>theme is revealed ("own worst enemy")....
>
>
>...it doesn't seem believable that those things ("drugs" "own
>worst enemy") are unrelated.
>

I’m not so sure, based on everything I know about this film so far, that drugs will play much of a role at all. I was thinking he might be more commenting on the perceived negativity of certain hiphop content with that scene (hiphop being created by us and purportedly hurting us, according to one common line of argument), but we are all guessing at this point. Someone cited a quote above from Peele saying why he did used that specific song, but artists sometimes deflect (actual or potential) criticism by attributing neutral motives to artistic decisions (“I didn’t do x because of y, I did it because of w”), so who knows?

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
13304074, RE: drugs are not a neutral reference when it comes to Black people
Posted by Birdzeye, Sun Dec-30-18 06:00 AM

>I’m not so sure, based on everything I know about this film
>so far, that drugs will play much of a role at all. I was
>thinking he might be more commenting on the perceived
>negativity of certain hiphop content with that scene (hiphop
>being created by us and purportedly hurting us, according to
>one common line of argument), but we are all guessing at this
>point. Someone cited a quote above from Peele saying why he
>did used that specific song, but artists sometimes deflect
>(actual or potential) criticism by attributing neutral motives
>to artistic decisions (“I didn’t do x because of y, I did
>it because of w”), so who knows.

^^^^ Yes I can certainly see your interpretation which adds a bit more nuance.

I guess my observation would still be relevant with your explanation, which is that it still implies the ‘self destructive elements of the community are destroying us’ angle is implied in the trailer and tagline.

For me this is an initial impression from a short trailer and it in fact had me intrigued to see where they would take this movie.

13304152, nobody was asking for more interpretation
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Dec-31-18 02:04 PM

13304067, People skip movies based on trailer interpretations all the time
Posted by spirit, Sun Dec-30-18 03:38 AM
Trailers are meant to hint at what a film will be about to pique your interest. People then decide whether they are excited about the forthcoming movie or if they will skip it, often based on the trailer. I don’t know why so many people in this thread are acting like this is a new (or even controversial) idea?

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
13304150, who the fuck said dude couldn't skip the movie?
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Dec-31-18 02:02 PM
show me anyone who said he couldn't skip viewing the movie for any made up reason he might have, so that your comment will be relevant.

13304573, I never said anyone said he couldn't skip the movie.
Posted by spirit, Thu Jan-03-19 11:57 PM
Reread what I wrote again.

Why are you asking a question about something I never wrote? I never said anyone on here said he couldn’t skip the movie. So why are you talking about that?

That’s like me replying to you “who the fuck said a film is a tomato?” when you never brought up tomatoes at all. And why did you put the extra profanity on it like you’re hype enough to fight me? LOL. Relax.

Dude gave his REASON for why he would skip the movie and people jumped all over the reason. When really you shouldn’t even give a fuck what reason he chose to not see a movie. What are you gonna do, convince him that his theory about what a movie might be about is wrong before either of you see the movie? At most, you could say “I think that theory doesn’t work because blah blah and here is my theory about what the film may really be about.” Then you all can debate what in the trailer supports your respective theory. But all this name calling when someone is basically just saying “the film looks like it might be about this and I’m not interested in that?” Ridiculous. The whole “you have to watch the entire movie before you form any opinion” line is tired, trailers actually exist to drum up excitement for a movie. The whole purpose of trailers is to get you to form a (hopefully positive) opinion of a film before it is released. For some people, trailers have the opposite effect and they cause those people to form a negative opinion of a film before it’s released. It’s pretty straightforward. Some people try to figure out what movies are about based on trailers.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
13319287, he literally didn't say anything about skipping the movie
Posted by Rjcc, Wed Mar-13-19 01:30 AM
you didn't even read his original reply.

he just decided he knew what the movie is about -- based on absolutely nothing.

everything you wrote is irrelevant.

13304073, No missiles needed I don’t care for any conflict..
Posted by Birdzeye, Sun Dec-30-18 05:38 AM
All I’m saying is that based off the trailer, C71’s presumption’s are not so out there as to be implausible or stupid. I got a similar impression without me looking for such an angle. The trailer and promotion (and past exposure to own worst enemy politics) seemed to hand that to me.

And plus the fact that Peele has clarified to say it’s not about race when he refers to ‘us’
suggests that people could have (misguidedly?) reached that conclusion.

Are you really saying that you can’t see how this conclusion could be reached (especially after the rational has been outlined), even if it’s a premature/incorrect one?

13304151, read what I said.
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Dec-31-18 02:03 PM
respond to what I said, not what you want to believe I said.

13304165, RE: read what I said.
Posted by Birdzeye, Mon Dec-31-18 03:07 PM
Just did..

My comment still stands so feel free to answer it or just continue be obtuse around any questions you can’t seriously answer....
13304178, you should go back to lurking
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Dec-31-18 04:29 PM

13304201, RE: you should go back to lurking
Posted by Birdzeye, Tue Jan-01-19 06:53 AM
I might just do that.

Just know that I could spot that you were an agenda filled jerk even from my lurking spot!
13304064, I can’t believe what idiocy still exists on this site.
Posted by Ryan M, Sun Dec-30-18 03:14 AM
Mind blowing.

Jordan Peele is mindful of trailers. The proof of that is his argument with the studio over Get Outs trailer. Now as an Oscar winning filmmaker he has total control over what’s in the trailer, and he’s likely using it as a misdirect. Regardless...judging anything based off a preview is at minimum horribly stupid.
13304071, The whole point of trailers is to get people to see the film
Posted by spirit, Sun Dec-30-18 04:01 AM
How is it idiotic to not want to see a film based on a trailer, but not idiotic to be excited to see a film based on a trailer? If C71 said “this trailer is great, I can’t wait to see it” would you reply “this is only a trailer, you idiot, the real movie could be completely different, so don’t get excited yet”?

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
13304077, Who’s saying that though
Posted by Ryan M, Sun Dec-30-18 10:25 AM
“Looks good, I’m in” is far different than talking about the themes of the movie so...what’s your point again?
13304092, Looks bad, I'm out is as valid as saying Looks good, I'm in
Posted by spirit, Sun Dec-30-18 08:51 PM
Either position is based on incomplete info. Either position is valid.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
13304108, He didn't say Looks bad, I'm out, though.
Posted by KiloMcG, Mon Dec-31-18 07:44 AM
He analyzed and critiqued an entire film based on the trailer.
13304571, Because he said why he thought it would be bad?
Posted by spirit, Thu Jan-03-19 11:50 PM
Now you can only say you think a film might be bad, but you can’t provide a rationale for why you think it might be bad?

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
13304153, the part where you have to lie about what he said
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Dec-31-18 02:05 PM
is the tell.

13304574, This is the second time in this thread that you brought up lying
Posted by spirit, Fri Jan-04-19 12:12 AM
I think you’re taking this whole thing too personally? I’m not sure who you’re trying to call a liar here? It can’t be me. I don’t know you. You don’t know me. I don’t lie and I’m sure not going to start lying to win an “argument” on the Internet. Maybe you and C71 have some personal issue I don’t know about. I don’t know either one of you from a can of paint. Anyway, I made my point as clearly as I could. I’m out.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
13309959, how is it personal to bring up a fact?
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Jan-28-19 03:12 PM
just don't lie.

13304072, thanks spirit
Posted by c71, Sun Dec-30-18 05:05 AM
>Regardless...judging anything based off a preview is at
>minimum horribly stupid.

yeah, spirit's reply, dude.
13318748, You're WHITE, you don't get it and will never get it so don't even try.
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Mar-11-19 09:12 AM
Most black people don't even get it.
13321981, Huh?
Posted by Ryan M, Sun Mar-24-19 10:34 PM
What’s that got to do with anything I said?
13304586, fck I hate I read this thread now. Y'all suck the joy outta everything.
Posted by FLUIDJ, Fri Jan-04-19 07:38 AM

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
13304598, Fuck these weirdos bruh. That shit was hot
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Jan-04-19 09:37 AM
and I can’t wait to see it and find it wtf it may be about.

The Lasik causes suicide dude is different.

13304658, Goddamn this post is hot garbage.
Posted by double negative, Fri Jan-04-19 12:33 PM
my first post of 2019.

this is why it's hard to make art once you have a few hits under your belt. everyone has an opinion on everything before even seeing the final product.

let that shit breathe. Go see the movie in a black theatre and chill out on the woke hateration.

I'm not addressing any one specifically but rather the chatter about what Peele might or might not be saying and if its even ok that hes doing what hes doing.

13309957, “I can’t say it’s not specifically about race,….”
Posted by c71, Mon Jan-28-19 02:57 PM
"although it does tackle race.............."

Meaning, Jordan was initially trying to dispel what was obvious and now he is admitting it, like some of us knew that he HAD to.

And some said we were calling him a liar when we said it obviously was about race.

https://www.okayplayer.com/culture/how-is-us-get-out-different-jordan-peele.html

Jordan Peele Explains How 'Us' And 'Get Out' Are Different And Why Horror Movies Are Important

POSTED BY ELIJAH C. WATSON

In a new interview, Peele described Us as a “horror film without any caveats.”

Jordan Peele‘s forthcoming new film Us will be making its premiere at South by Southwest in March and the director has recently offered some more details on the inspiration behind the movie.
WATCH: The Terrifying First Trailer For Jordan Peele’s New Film ‘Us’
Speaking with Empire via Pursue News, Peele discussed the differences between Us and 2017’s acclaimed Get Out, as well as what sparked the idea of the former film.

Peele said that Us came about when he began “to follow the thread of ‘we are our own enemy.'” When asked about the “we” he was referring to, Peele said that the movie is answering that question while adding: “I can’t say it’s not specifically about race, but I don’t want to go too deep into its meaning because it’s there for everybody to discover on their own.”

He also described Us as a “horror film without any caveats,” and although it does tackle race it also tackles how the movie industry views race.

“There hasn’t been a horror film about a black family, that I can remember. I think that’s an important thing to note. We have a lot of films in this genre where a family meets a monster, but the fact we’ve never seen a black family in that situation is a problem to me,” Peele said. “There’s a presumption in the industry that if black people are the leads in a film it has to be in some way about race. I wanted to show that we can push past that.”
And as for why he thinks the horror films are important, Peele had this to say: “They’re ways that we as a society face our fears. Personally, they serve as a way for me to acknowledge the dark thoughts floating inside of me.”

The story can be read in its entirety in the latest issue of Empire.

13309960, oh so where are the goalposts now?
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Jan-28-19 03:14 PM
look, you're a lying shit with no logic or sense of integrity so I wouldn't expect you to be any different.

but if you didn't lie then we could all be more efficient about this.

13309961, yeah, sure. I posted the Slate post that said it was a "stretching the...
Posted by c71, Mon Jan-28-19 03:19 PM
...truth to say the film race doesn't play a major part"

and what was the reaction to the Slate.com swipe in post #47?

Why wasn't I accused of moving the goalposts with the Slate.com swipe in reply #47?
13309986, I'm sorry you've confused me for someone who cares about you.
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Jan-28-19 04:26 PM

13309988, :(
Posted by c71, Mon Jan-28-19 04:27 PM
hrumph!
13310051, *hugs*
Posted by godleeluv, Mon Jan-28-19 11:46 PM

... "A Beautiful Struggle"
https://m.facebook.com/jamelabullock
Www.reverbnation.com/jamela

MELa
Musically.Entertaining.Lyrically.Alluring.
13310110, Thanks
Posted by c71, Tue Jan-29-19 10:44 AM
somebody likes me **smiles***
13311389, Super Bowl Trailer
Posted by j0510, Sun Feb-03-19 06:18 PM
Us - In Theaters March 22 (Nightmare)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKuvOrCmFTY
13311402, The trailer is exactly 60 seconds
Posted by Marauder21, Sun Feb-03-19 07:43 PM
and there are FOUR family members
60 + 4 = 64
In Super Mario 64 you can take a MUSHROOM that turns you into METAL
This whole movie is about how drugs turn families into robots, presented as a POSITIVE. Why is Jordan Peele furthering the Robot Agenda?
13311428, While we're at it, WHATEVER HAPPENED TO
Posted by Adwhizz, Mon Feb-04-19 09:08 AM
Mario parts 4-63?!?!
13311433, RE: While we're at it, WHATEVER HAPPENED TO
Posted by Pete Burns, Mon Feb-04-19 09:25 AM
What happened to Loud But Wrong Guy, for that matter?
13311435, The presence of some actual posters negated the need for that alias.
Posted by Innocent Criminal, Mon Feb-04-19 09:48 AM
13311479, *mind blown*
Posted by mista k5, Mon Feb-04-19 11:20 AM
13318619, Reactions from premiere at SXSW
Posted by j0510, Sat Mar-09-19 10:05 AM
https://io9.gizmodo.com/jordan-peeles-us-just-premiered-at-sxsw-heres-what-peo-1833167275
13318746, Wow I was completely expecting this dude to come back to earth
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Mar-11-19 09:07 AM
Like it would have been too much to expect him to deliver a movie on Par with Get Out so if this movie had more mixed reviews, that would have made sense and be expected.

If it turns out he kills it the way these early reviews are coming in, then yeah, dude is on a whole other level.

13318689, It's like I knew, but I never really knew okp niggas were this weird
Posted by atruhead, Sun Mar-10-19 12:17 PM
13318699, OKP should be ashamed of itself...
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sun Mar-10-19 02:56 PM
as a majority black site, jumping all over themselves to cosign a white dude for clowning a black man for attempting to counter white supremacist messaging in any area of society. Shout out to Atillah Moor who doesn't seem to post here anymore, and who I constantly disagreed with, but at least he was trying to grow in all the ways he countered racism, and I respect that. It's really all you can ask. Unlike alotta yall who will cosign anything white folks tell you is the bee's knees. If we had it so figured out, we wouldn't be dealing with all we're dealing with.

Yo, c71...

I remember you telling me that I had to leave this board, because I said cops wouldn't respect our lives until they started losing their own for taking ours. You've never had my back when I stood up for us in analyzing all the ways white supremacy operates.

However, I ain't a sucka ass nigga, so I will say that your observation is interesting and shouldn't be immediately dismissed. In all honesty, when I first saw the trailer, I didn't even consider the "we're our own worst enemy" narrative, so thank you bringing it up. IF this is indeed his angle, Idk if it's due to him being biracial or because Hollywood put the pressure on him. BUT, having seen Get Out, I know that he's shown that he can make a layered film. This is important, because if he felt pressured to address Black people being enemies of self, then this could possibly be a clever way to make it look like he's saying they are, but isn't actually saying that. If the need to say it is coming from within himself, he'll present much that's up for interpretation if Get Out is any indication.
Now, with all this giving him the benefit of the doubt, I have to point out that he was involved with the inaccurate, lying abomination known as BlacKKKlansman, so I won't be surprised if Us is partially or completely against the best Black interests.
13319441, yup
Posted by kayru99, Wed Mar-13-19 02:11 PM
13322905, Thanks Boogie. Ready for more disagreements?
Posted by Atillah Moor, Wed Mar-27-19 01:21 PM
13323432, Lol. Always, fam
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sat Mar-30-19 03:27 PM
13318970, I saw the movie last night. (No spoilers in this post.)
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Mar-11-19 10:06 PM
From my PTP review: It's very fun. Plenty of scares and laughs, little puzzle pieces of foreshadowing sprinkled throughout, the actors are dynamite, it's gorgeously shot, and the music is fantastic. Peele's basically playing with Spielberg, Shyamalan, and Haneke all rolled into one here-- which are definitely good thriller directors to use as reference points. Like Get Out, it hits its crowd-pleasing beats beautifully.

One complaint: it's *way* less specific thematically than Get Out... to the point where I'm not sure if Peele even has a specific theme in mind here. It felt at times like he was tossing a lot at the wall to see what stuck. Get Out was incredibly tight-- that was one idea beautifully fleshed out, and here we've got a bunch of allusions and references without that clear through-line. I don't mind the ambition-- it's still an insanely fun flick, and the broadness will certainly allow people to project their own personal stuff into the movie-- but don't go in expecting something as tight as Get Out.

Still, no sophomore slump here. He's constructed another big-hit horror flick here. It honestly has a *very* Twilight Zone vibe, so it also serves to make me more excited for Peele's Twilight Zone reboot too.

And if anyone wants questions answered re: specific material/themes/etc, I'm happy to give my thoughts on those. Those may or may not verge into spoiler territory, though.
13318986, Does most of this pre-release convo in this post look silly after seeing
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Mar-12-19 07:57 AM
the film, or is the film so thematically lose that bone heads will have straws to grasp to argue they were right all along?

13319048, stares....legit torn between.....
Posted by Selah, Tue Mar-12-19 11:01 AM
>RE: Does most of this pre-release convo in this post look silly after seeing
>the film, or is the film so thematically lose that bone heads
>will have straws to grasp to argue they were right all along?

"that's bait" and moving on

and

"that is a perfect example of commentary thinly wrapped in question clothes" then discussing (or attempting to) motive

its early though....

13319131, Eh... some of it? (some light spoilers within)
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Mar-12-19 01:02 PM
*** to clarify before you read, this will contain *some* spoilers, though I'll avoid anything from the back half of the movie, and these are likely things you could've figured out from the trailer with a close watch ***

The idea that it's about how black people are their own worst enemies... yeah, that's a really tough one to take away from this, considering it's not only black people who have doubles in this film. I don't want to dive too far into the details, but it's definitely about everyone irrespective of race. One could *easily* argue it's about class, perhaps, or about political affiliation. Mass groups of people who are frightened of those on the other side.

Now, that doesn't mean there's *nothing* about race here. Some of the imagery presented is definitely given more weight because the main family is black-- you have a large black man as an inarticulate, screaming thug, you have black children scampering on all fours and climbing trees, acting as animals. But this is part of the issue I have with the lack of clear through-line-- it's hard to pin down how this ties to the rest of it. Maybe he's playing on America's stereotypes of black people-- but then again, as mentioned before, we also get plenty of weird double action with non-black people, and are those doubles playing stereotypes? Very unclear. Maybe he's playing on horror archetypes in general-- Lord knows the huge inarticulate man and the animalistic children are archetypes we've seen before with white killers in horror films, so he's giving us black versions of these types to even the playing field? Maybe he's just saying that all of our "dark sides" are similar-- men are inarticulate and violent, children are crazed and out of control, etc. Maybe he's trying to evoke all of these things without focusing on any of them in particular to let us take what we want-- which feels like a bit of a cop out after something as thematically tight as Get Out, but which doesn't make the movie any less fun.

There's other imagery toward the end that I don't really want to get into, as it'd be even more spoilery, and then there's a big reveal that definitely affects this conversation as well that I'd also rather not go into... but regarding your question of "could people project whatever theme they want onto this movie?" My gut says "yes, but they couldn't argue that their version carries through the whole film." I definitely had a couple of thoughts leaving the theaters as to "what is this movie about?" that fell apart when I tried to tie everything to those themes. So I don't doubt that Peele is using a *lot* of things here to try to tell his fun horror story... but the question of "is it about X?" isn't going to have a definitive answer imo.
13319210, Given your spoilers warning, I will not read until I see.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Mar-12-19 04:42 PM

13319285, To clarify, no *real* spoilers alove. (No spoilers in this reply.)
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Mar-13-19 12:45 AM
I reveal one or two things that could certainly be inferred from the trailer, imo. Nothing overly serious, and nothing from the back half of the film.

That said, I know some people want to go in *completely* cold. Hence my warning.
13319299, Thanks for this, can't wait to see it
Posted by Marauder21, Wed Mar-13-19 08:26 AM
Don't spoil how many Weed Drugs are in it please.
13319306, do you need more than what was in the trailer?
Posted by c71, Wed Mar-13-19 08:59 AM
?

More than the trailer will prove what Jordan REALLY means?

Or.....

We'll ignore the trailer as an "aberration" (even though it's the trailer).

13319312, Yes. You need more than the trailer to know what the movie is about.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Mar-13-19 09:32 AM

13319313, Yes. You need more than the trailer to know what the movie is about.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Mar-13-19 09:32 AM

13319315, If a theme is brought up "the enemy is 'Us' and the spectre of drugs
Posted by c71, Wed Mar-13-19 09:35 AM
are raised.....however briefly lightly...

....You have to be "wishful thinking" to not connect that.

If the conversation of drugs is brought up, and then the movie ascends (not descends) into a fun-filled paradise, then you could possibly say the drug conversation and the ensuing paradise were not connected.
13319393, I've seen the movie. Drugs play no role in the film whatsoever.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Mar-13-19 12:18 PM
The "conversation" from the trailer (two lines) is exactly how it plays in the movie. It's a moment of comedic relief.
13319429, doesn't sound like comedy to me - nope
Posted by c71, Wed Mar-13-19 01:37 PM
nope
13319430, Keep going
Posted by Marauder21, Wed Mar-13-19 01:38 PM
13319433, I saw the trailer - a girl saying a song is about drugs sounds like
Posted by c71, Wed Mar-13-19 01:40 PM
raising the issue of drug glorification to me.

Where was the punchline in a girl telling her younger sibling that a song that her parents like is about drugs?

That suggests a girl becoming jaded to the ways of adults, unless you think a young girl realizing her parents like songs that reference drug use is funny or comedic.

I kept going.
13319438, Thank you for the lessons, never stop
Posted by Marauder21, Wed Mar-13-19 01:50 PM
13319439, yep
Posted by c71, Wed Mar-13-19 01:54 PM
yep
13319451, ... okay? Well, the audience laughed hard at Duke's reply.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Mar-13-19 02:33 PM
And then there's absolutely nothing about drugs, even as a metaphor or allegory or anything else, in the film.

So take that for what you will!
13319454, nothing about drugs? Hmmm...when you're enemy is another version
Posted by c71, Wed Mar-13-19 02:37 PM
of yourself......uh....that has been a theme connected to drug use in culture before?

uh......

You've never heard of a cultural touchstone where drugs are the culprit to making someone a "different person" yet that's still the same person?

"Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" perhaps?
13319484, Dude, I SAW THE MOVIE. lol. (some very mild spoilers within)
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Mar-13-19 04:08 PM
>of yourself......uh....that has been a theme connected to
>drug use in culture before?
>
>
>uh......
>
>
>You've never heard of a cultural touchstone where drugs are
>the culprit to making someone a "different person" yet that's
>still the same person?
>
>
>"Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" perhaps?

Just because you use a bunch of ellipses and say "uh" patronizingly doesn't mean you're right and I'm the idiot. So don't treat me like an asshole when I'm trying to answer questions here.

As I said above in my answer that you seemingly didn't read, I'm sure you could find a way to "project" most anything into the film. It's very broad thematically. And yes, there are broad Jekyll and Hyde allusions at play, obviously, in the sense that Peele is exploring duality.

But the Hydes here are external, not internal, for a reason-- which is a hugely key difference. And the Hydes aren't relegated to just one race or one class, every single person in the country has one. We spend real time seeing white people attacked by their own doubles in the film. I could go more in depth into this, but I won't to avoid spoilers-- suffice it to say, the movie makes it very explicit that this is not a specific race problem or a specific group problem.

While you can find imagery, lines, scenes, etc. specific to make this setup in the film about class, political affiliation, Trumpism, etc.-- broader things that divide us in this world today-- you have to strain to make this movie about some specific drug-related read in any way. However people read this film, it'll have to be about something that divides the country irrespective of gender, race, or age. Because if you try to narrow it down, there's going to be a ton of stuff in the film that simply doesn't work for your read.
13319514, Jekyll and Hyde involved serum/drugs, dude
Posted by c71, Wed Mar-13-19 05:20 PM
>And yes, there are broad Jekyll and Hyde allusions at play, obviously, in the sense that Peele is exploring duality.
13319524, So you didn't read my follow-up sentence, or any of the rest of it.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Mar-13-19 05:41 PM
I'm still not even sure what your agenda is here, that you were a dick to someone who saw the movie and was trying to explain what's in it. What's there to gain here? Do you want me to just spoil the whole movie so you can try to justify how the film is about drugs? I mean, you've had people quote the director and describe the actual film and you've replied to them like *they're* stupid for suggesting you may be off-base. I just do. not. get it.
13319545, Frank at post #189 you should have seen this is a nonsense debate.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Mar-13-19 07:19 PM
So everything after that is on you. LOLOLOL.

13320261, You mean post #7
Posted by KiloMcG, Sun Mar-17-19 07:35 PM
13319547, Those "evolving" director's (Peele) quotes that we should accept
Posted by c71, Wed Mar-13-19 07:20 PM
....whenever they "change" that is:

Reply #17

Peele said it was important for him to cast a black family at the center of a horror movie, though he specifically said that unlike Get Out, his new film is “not about race.”

Reply #154

When asked about the “we” he was referring to, Peele said that the movie is answering that question while adding: “I can’t say it’s not specifically about race, but I don’t want to go too deep into its meaning because it’s there for everybody to discover on their own.”
13319555, You need a lady in your life.
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Mar-13-19 08:01 PM
13322770, so basically, you were triggered
Posted by MiracleRic, Wed Mar-27-19 07:47 AM
yea, that's a great foundation for declarative statements
13320249, If nothing else, this movie gave us this:
Posted by Adwhizz, Sun Mar-17-19 03:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBcTJ5ADFIM

So for that he's good money in my book.

Hope the Luniz get some nice checks out of this
13320271, thats hot
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Sun Mar-17-19 11:28 PM
13320275, *speakers burned like the little kid's face*
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Mar-18-19 12:31 AM
13320573, Just saw the movie and I agree with everything Long said.
Posted by bwood, Mon Mar-18-19 07:37 PM
Hotep ass nigga looks dumb as fuck in this thread.

With that said I don't know what exactly Peele is trying to say here outside of we are our own worst enemy.
13320575, someone who can't tell what the director is trying to say looks....
Posted by c71, Mon Mar-18-19 07:54 PM
.....?
13320576, It's DEFINITELY NOT saying anything your trying to push
Posted by bwood, Mon Mar-18-19 08:03 PM
13320577, How can you be "definite" about what you "can't tell"?
Posted by c71, Mon Mar-18-19 08:33 PM
?
13320578, Holy fucking shit.
Posted by bwood, Mon Mar-18-19 08:42 PM
I feel so bad for you.

But good luck with the agenda shit posting.

I'm out.
13320579, uh....
Posted by c71, Mon Mar-18-19 08:43 PM
...uh...
13321801, survival, childhood trauma, leaving your demons behind you
Posted by atruhead, Sat Mar-23-19 09:27 AM
there's a lot to unravel
13321526, Trash.
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu Mar-21-19 09:24 PM
13321527, dope
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Thu Mar-21-19 09:32 PM
>
13321534, Well done, I enjoyed it. There's a hollowness here though.
Posted by Errol Walton Barrow, Fri Mar-22-19 12:17 AM

There's a line one of the intruders says when in the house that makes you think this is about more than a well made slasher flick. If you wait for that 'meaning' to come to fruition then everything rings hollow when the credits roll. If you just want to shout at the screen with the audience then this is that kind of flick, but a really well made flick, I'm really proud of Peele.

Also, like toni Colette in Heriditary, Lupita Nyong'o is a manic, crazed mother in this, just terrific.
13321549, this
Posted by Boogiedwn, Fri Mar-22-19 08:02 AM
>f you just want to shout at the screen with the audience then this is that kind of flick, but a really well made flick

It was a fun theater experience.

I picked up on the reveal early which made certain things make sense I was questioning at the time. There is a lot of unsaid things in this though that left me confused. I did like the movie though.
13321794, Agreed
Posted by Marauder21, Sat Mar-23-19 06:07 AM
As a horror film, one of the best I've seen in a while (I'd even put it over Hereditary.) Just stellar and unsettling in all the best ways.

If you're looking for a clear social commentary, it's not really here. I mean, it is, but not in the way a lot of people want.
13323456, It was good it ain’t even close to Heredity level
Posted by 81 DUN, Sat Mar-30-19 08:14 PM
13321535, Just saw it. Didn't really understand the meaning...
Posted by dustin, Fri Mar-22-19 12:18 AM
It was entertaining though. Longo is right. It's not really clear what Peele's core thesis is here and I'm not going to believe any thinkpiece saying that the message is just one thing.
13321795, Meh. Like 6-7 out of ten. Get out was written by his blakk side
Posted by Riot, Sat Mar-23-19 07:25 AM
And this was from his white side.
Sike but There was literally 1 lone non circlejerk review from the sxsw screening that was like - "yea This is ok, not mind blowing." That helped me lower my expectations or else ida been real disappointed

Luniz horror remix is the best part

Even Directorially, Peele could have changed some things around (ex- interlacing the reveal and the grand finale scenes woulda prolly got a bigger reaction... as-is the reveal is just like 'oh wow ok I can see that happening"). & not sure how hard it was shooting wit body doubles and syncing doubletakes, but none of the actual doppelganger fights really sold it. Pacing could have also been better bc i felt he may have had more to say in the final 15-30min that would have helped the overall theme. Or at least show how lupita#2 coordinated her army. The way the last 30min explanation is told, & kinda left open, it's just a long twilight zone episode. ((I'm sure there are nuff "reds = GOP/trump takeover" hot takes brewing right now tho))

Leaving the theater I was like 'eh', but I will admit during the walk home some dude turned the corner on me wearing a red jacket, & my first reaction was like- Oh hell naw and started to run up and dropkick him lol. U not pulling no scissors on me, ock!

Anyway, shout out to okp going full okp for 3 months in the top half of this thread. drugs in the community apparently is something we do need to talk abt cuz somma y'all seem to still be on them
13321816, who gets more royalties... the luniz or club nouveau?
Posted by falafel stand pimpin, Sat Mar-23-19 12:09 PM
13321828, I give it a solid B. Ending was eye roll inducing.
Posted by lightworks, Sat Mar-23-19 01:09 PM
13321840, this piece broke down a lot (nothing but spoilers)
Posted by atruhead, Sat Mar-23-19 02:34 PM
i.e. Lupita snapped off beat because she never knew how

https://shadowandact.com/the-ending-of-us-explained-review
13321841, the Thriller t-shirt x MJ Thriller look into the camera at the end
Posted by atruhead, Sat Mar-23-19 02:53 PM
13321842, SPOILER RESPONSE to you
Posted by lightworks, Sat Mar-23-19 02:55 PM
I am so mad the snapping off beat thing turned out to be true lol.

Although I admit I thought “but didn’t she stay on beat as a ballerina?”

Lol
13321846, that shit was trash (SPOILERS I guess)
Posted by ThaTruth, Sat Mar-23-19 04:56 PM
If you need this many "think pieces" to explain your movie so that most people can understand it then you failed.

Plus they made M'Baku into a groveling bitch for most of the movie. He was easily the weakest character in the entire film.

Plus too many unanswered questions... So did ALL this clones rise up and kill their doppelgangers or just some? And how was this decision made? And if so what kind of world did Adelaide/Red and her family escape to at the end? And why was the other lil boy's face burned? I know they said something about he liked to play with fire but why? And why was he usually on all fours like a dog? What was M'Baku and the daughter doing when Red came and scooped Jacob up?

Plus so many times during the movie I found myself screaming at the screen "black people wouldn't do that shit!"
13321848, I took the clones as a metaphor potentially
Posted by atruhead, Sat Mar-23-19 05:41 PM
i.e. dont let your bad traits shape you and take over your good

but you're right, a lot of it left things unanswered. not a bad film, but not great
13321851, "black people wouldn't do that shit!" like what?
Posted by double negative, Sat Mar-23-19 06:52 PM
13321855, literally everything they did in the entire movie lol
Posted by ThaTruth, Sat Mar-23-19 08:42 PM
13321858, Watching it right now. My wife gave up on it
Posted by legsdiamond, Sat Mar-23-19 09:46 PM
She said the same shirt.

I’m just fighting thru it to get to the other side.

Why is the husband looking like the weakest nigga on earth. Dude has zero adrenaline and a few jokes.
13321859, right dawg...
Posted by ThaTruth, Sat Mar-23-19 10:00 PM
>Why is the husband looking like the weakest nigga on earth.
>Dude has zero adrenaline and a few jokes.

they had M'Baku leader of the Jabari tribe acting like a lil bitch lol

if it wasn't for the person I was with I would've walked out that shit
13321861, Lot's of Black men aren't macho. That's a strange thing to
Posted by c71, Sat Mar-23-19 10:36 PM
have an extreme reaction to.

Peele himself doesn't seem macho - which is why Peele probably wanted the lead actor to play it that way.

Yes I saw the movie.
13321866, I feel like it’s more than that, I feel like it’s trying to drive...
Posted by ThaTruth, Sun Mar-24-19 12:24 AM
that very point home...

>have an extreme reaction to.
>
>Peele himself doesn't seem macho - which is why Peele probably
>wanted the lead actor to play it that way.
>
>
>Yes I saw the movie.

let’s take the biggest strongest black man in the movie and make him a cowering idiot for most of the movie while the women and children magically become lethal killers. At the end they don’t even let him drive and put him in the back seat like a child.

13322362, If you watch Duke's interviews, he's more Gabe than M'baku
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Tue Mar-26-19 08:40 AM
but he's not ADOS, so he might not be the Black people you're talking about?

The only ADOS adult actor in the movie is Adelaide's extra negligent father from the beginning of the movie.

At any rate, it's almost refreshing when Black men aren't Luke Cage types, meaning big, strong, brash, with little brain. Gabe is big and smart and not very strong or brash. Peele probably thought that was revolutionary, but what would be more revolutionary right now is for a Black man on screen to be smart and strong simultaneously without being a criminal or sacrifice. I can think of Black male characters who have these traits on screen, but rarely the perfect characters that white males consistently get to play.

But you did tell me that I was wasting my time breaking down depictions of Black people in cinema, so why does this not apply to you, fam? Were you just being contrary because you didn't make the GoT post? Just funny seeing yall try to break down our depictions after yall came at me so hard for it.
13323464, The Dad was goofy/comic relief, but he DID kill his fair
Posted by Adwhizz, Sat Mar-30-19 10:40 PM
share of Zombies as he pointed at in that scene in the jeep
13321862, Things evil lupita did, like getting out the car multiple times
Posted by Riot, Sat Mar-23-19 11:47 PM
Going off alone, tryna be friendly to the kids, etc

No blk person would do that but her real identity as a shadow person would
13321865, Literally everything, from their family vacation decisions, to their...
Posted by ThaTruth, Sun Mar-24-19 12:17 AM
reactions when 4 weird people show up outside their door, to their actions after multiple people are brutally murdered in front of them, it was too much lol
13321873, He was terrible.
Posted by legsdiamond, Sun Mar-24-19 06:46 AM
and I wasn’t impressed with this one.
13322090, I guess, maybe, but none of that even entered my mind
Posted by double negative, Mon Mar-25-19 11:02 AM
because I saw the film not as a black film but a film that was centered around black people and black people of a certain/specific demographic

they were free in a ways other black people might not be free - they had a vacation home in freaking Santa Cruz and they appeared to be old money (example, nice house but old benz) and were comfortable in their own reality (i.e., being the only black faces in white places) while also having a foot on their own blackness (i.e. going to Howard U, choice of music, etc)

so for me, all of their actions tracked with how they presented initially. I didnt consider their reactions to be non-black but rather a form of black

There are 40 million black people in the United States, how do you figure all 40 million of us are supposed to react the same exact way?
13322098, much like the movie, you're trying to get too deep...
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Mar-25-19 11:12 AM
>because I saw the film not as a black film but a film that
>was centered around black people and black people of a
>certain/specific demographic
>
>they were free in a ways other black people might not be free
>- they had a vacation home in freaking Santa Cruz and they
>appeared to be old money (example, nice house but old benz)
>and were comfortable in their own reality (i.e., being the
>only black faces in white places) while also having a foot on
>their own blackness (i.e. going to Howard U, choice of music,
>etc)
>
>
>so for me, all of their actions tracked with how they
>presented initially. I didnt consider their reactions to be
>non-black but rather a form of black
>
>There are 40 million black people in the United States, how do
>you figure all 40 million of us are supposed to react the same
>exact way?

I'm aware of all that, I was saying what my reactions were at the time in the theater when I saw the movie last Thursday,
13322106, This movie is literally about 1.5% of black folks
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Mon Mar-25-19 11:25 AM
40 million black folks. 20 million black families. Only 300,000 of these families is worth 1mil net, so it's more than sensible to say this movie isn't about black people. It's literally about 1.5% of black people, because that's how many black people would be living like them. When ppl say black people have or act like this or that, it's safe to say they're referring to the 98.5% and not the 1.5%. Due to our history and us being shut out of America, we're more of a monolith in terms of wealth than most of us realize.
13321863, Lots of words, not a lot of deeper analysis
Posted by Riot, Sun Mar-24-19 12:03 AM
Mostly bc the movie doesn't really pull things into a logical storyline, so ppl are just filling in the gaps however they want

The offbeat snapping, messed up vocals,etc are obvious once the reveal happens
But then when u think about more- she can't snap but became a dancer? She's the only one that can talk but coordinated a flash mob of 100million grunting quasi- zombies?
13321864, Exactly lol...
Posted by ThaTruth, Sun Mar-24-19 12:13 AM

>The offbeat snapping, messed up vocals,etc are obvious once
>the reveal happens
>But then when u think about more- she can't snap but became a
>dancer? She's the only one that can talk but coordinated a
>flash mob of 100million grunting quasi- zombies?
13321867, plus when Adelaide initially meets Red as child in the funhouse...
Posted by ThaTruth, Sun Mar-24-19 12:43 AM
she doesn’t have on the orange jumpsuit, she somehow has the exact same outfit she has on that particular day, down to the t-shirt her father just won for her, but later it appears that Red takes the t-shirt from Adelaide and puts it on to impersonate her, like we said too many inconsistencies.
13321991, the jumpsuit came with the
Posted by howardlloyd, Mon Mar-25-19 03:59 AM
revolution...

adelaide started that
13321900, It’s ballet tho. You don’t have to snap on beat to do ballet.
Posted by legsdiamond, Sun Mar-24-19 12:14 PM
Not to be all actually but that didn’t bother me because the wife teaches dance and those kids can’t snap for shit. It’s all about sequences and cues to the music for a lot of kids in ballet.

All that being said..

I didn’t think the movie was anything special.
13321989, I'm sayin tho. Ballet ain't the electric slide or the cha cha.
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Mon Mar-25-19 01:59 AM
13321949, Great film, tho a small (but important) part validates c71's suspicions
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sun Mar-24-19 04:57 PM
(light spoilers which won't ruin the movie if you haven't seen it)

The very beginning of the film shows a Black father being totally negligent with looking after his daughter. The mother is concerned about this and tells the girl to come with her to the restroom. The girl flatly refuses. The mother tells the father to keep an eye on the girl and proceeds to go to the restroom even tho the father barely even turns around when he says he's looking after the girl.
:|
From that moment, I was like "please don't let the whole movie be on THIS kind of BS" because aside from the Black father being terribly depicted, a concerned Black mother isn't about to let the girl out of her sight if the dad is THAT lazy about looking after her.
I immediately thought of the Harambe situation where media was looking all into the criminal background of the father (who wasn't even present at the time) juxtaposed with the media treatment of the white Florida couple who got their toddler eaten by an alligator.
That part of the movie definitely showed us being our own worst enemy, along with the beach scene where they even lost their son.

MAIN POINT BEING...
******That first scene is *extremely* important, because the rest of the film doesn't happen without us "being our own worst enemy" in the way we fail to look after our children in this film.****** which I think was some bullshit.

I mean, it'd be nothing if everyone viewed Black folks as equals and racism didn't exist. It'd *kinda* just be humans making mistakes, but that isn't the society we live in. Our actions and depictions are received and reported differently.

And this is stuff white folks don't have to think about. It's just taken in subconsciously (by everyone but especially by them). Shout out to Buddy tho for asking white folks to evaluate films in Black folks' interest.

Other than that, I loved the ending and I thought the movie flowed very well. I also loved the way the story was told. Another horror classic from Mr. Peele.

(legit spoiler ahead)

I really like the way the end makes sense of stuff you've seen in the movie, such as when Adelaide got out the car to check on the girl after she flew off the car. I'm sitting there thinking "man, this some white people horror movie shit" but it made sense at the end. Wonderfully done. Everything comes together that doesn't seem to make sense at the end... then you think back through the movie and realize the things that were said have another layer to them such as Red saying Adelaide should've brought her with her.

13321969, I don't think folks here are going to want to talk about that
Posted by c71, Sun Mar-24-19 07:36 PM
father and his complaining about his wife bothering him for drinking two beers.

nope
13321983, A very good horror movie that falls apart.
Posted by Ryan M, Sun Mar-24-19 11:51 PM
Bummer. But yeah. The logic makes next to no sense. It tried to do too much and explain the world TOO much, which led to an over explanation monologue which mucked everything up. Jordan Peele is a master with tone and atmosphere but that ending was bad.
13322026, One thing I still don't get (BIG SPOILER)
Posted by Marauder21, Mon Mar-25-19 09:19 AM
SPOILERSPOILERSPOILER

How did the tethering work? Because the son could actually control his and it was implied that you have to go through the same life stages as their counterparts (marriage, pregnancy, etc.) So how could they physically get to the point where they were able to break out? And how did Jason manage to control his doppleganger after he had already broke out?
13322069, its so many holes in that damn movie and folks kill me trying to make...
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Mar-25-19 10:27 AM
out that its "deep" that shit is just trash lol

>SPOILERSPOILERSPOILER
>
>
>
>How did the tethering work? Because the son could actually
>control his and it was implied that you have to go through the
>same life stages as their counterparts (marriage, pregnancy,
>etc.) So how could they physically get to the point where they
>were able to break out? And how did Jason manage to control
>his doppleganger after he had already broke out?
13322129, Why did Adelaide have a connection to the shadow kids?
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Mar-25-19 12:01 PM
and why did the boy have burn marks?

13322134, RE: Why did Adelaide have a connection to the shadow kids?
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Mon Mar-25-19 12:07 PM
>and why did the boy have burn marks?
>
>

They are her people.

And maybe the boy's magic trick is really working down in the tunnels, burning the clone's face?
13322136, Oh shit. Great thought.
Posted by lightworks, Mon Mar-25-19 12:09 PM
13322139, It"s funny that according to her
Posted by Marauder21, Mon Mar-25-19 12:13 PM
it was her dancing that showed the other shadow people how special she was. Even though she could talk and had like, real memories of the above ground world.

Must have been a hell of a dancer.
13322135, I think for the boy
Posted by Marauder21, Mon Mar-25-19 12:09 PM
Every time Jason would play with the lighter, his doppleganger was also doing it, only his might have worked (or it was matches,) so he was frequently burning himself. He clearly has more of a tether with his counterpart than the others for some reason, but I don't know why. I can speculate on the symbolism behind it, but as far as an in-universe answer, there doesn't seem to be one.
13322148, I wondered if he was
Posted by lightworks, Mon Mar-25-19 12:24 PM
Austistic and that was why had the connection with his tether and also why he was deemed “weird”.
13322234, Hmm. I guess if his clone was practicing that trick all this time
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Mar-25-19 03:05 PM
It was prolly working in the tunnels and ducked the clone up

He was called “weird” so maybe that’s why?

Also wonder if the kids have that shadow sense since they were birthed from a shadow.
13322286, kids of privilege get to opt out...
Posted by sosumi, Mon Mar-25-19 07:16 PM
other kids get "burned" or can not quit "running track"
13322213, wasnt explained so choose your own adventure
Posted by Riot, Mon Mar-25-19 02:16 PM
and it will be as valid as any other explanation/hypothesis
>SPOILERSPOILERSPOILER
>
>How did the tethering work? Because the son could actually
>control his and it was implied that you have to go through the
>same life stages as their counterparts (marriage, pregnancy,
>etc.) So how could they physically get to the point where they
>were able to break out? And how did Jason manage to control
>his doppleganger after he had already broke out?

my guess is the boy was the youngest so possibly "closer"/more mentally connected to his shadow
plus the boy was just figuring shtt out/noticing stuff quicker, like kids ("new eyes") sometimes do.

but the dad also slightly controlled his at the beginning when he was adjusting the eyeglasses.

they broke out/started the untether plan cuz underground lupita wasnt born as a shadow and danced her way into being their messiah. then spent the next 20 yrs training all of them on how to separate the connection, stitch red jumpsuits, and "make a statement" by redoing hands across america
13322881, There's a theory that
Posted by Marauder21, Wed Mar-27-19 11:58 AM
Jason and his double switched places years ago as well. It's liad out here, not sure how on board I am with it

https://www.vulture.com/2019/03/us-reddit-theory-jason-pluto.html
13322221, I think it's powerful as a parable about survivor's guilt
Posted by IkeMoses, Mon Mar-25-19 02:33 PM
I'ma let y'all argue about the plotholes tho.

Trying to make sense of speculative elements is like the boringest discussions online.
13322287, appreciate the nostalgia with representation...
Posted by sosumi, Mon Mar-25-19 07:37 PM
80s parenting "was trash" in so many "horror" movies or just ET/war games thrillers

even stranger things touched on this

dads were irresponsible, moms were confused

home alone should have been scary when it came out...

I did not grow up with cable or mainstream movies playing in my town

basically a VHS late experiencer, with "whiteness" at the center...

I am definitely living a life ignoring the "red" world
13322292, only the yt people at my job
Posted by sosumi, Mon Mar-25-19 08:04 PM
after a decade of micros, they "woke" and want to tell me how to be

Peele gave us the "sunken place" language and they want to co-opt it with everything else
like they did with T-Coates

when the message is clearly Blacks are not monolithic, they want you to be on type...

13322301, In the end though what does it matter (SPOILER)
Posted by lightworks, Mon Mar-25-19 08:58 PM
After chewing on it a few days I’m like “ok cool” so in the end what does it matter she was switched?

Is the idea she’s gonna rise up and join her true siblings in red?

Nah. She clearly is as “original” Adelaide as it’s gonna get.

So in that end who cares if they are switched?
13322307, It matters because it explains why they rebelled in the first place
Posted by Errol Walton Barrow, Mon Mar-25-19 11:32 PM
She was the catalyst. If she was never taken, or if red and adelaide just left the hall of mirrors in 86 then there would not be this uprising. It gave a reason for this, although I'd admit it felt tacked on.
13322371, After all the interpretations have come in, the U.S. indictment narrative
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Tue Mar-26-19 09:11 AM
seems to be the most consistent, as in the "poor rising up to eat the rich" narrative. Shout out to 2Pac. So this is one of those "WE'RE ALL AT FAULT because we all benefit from America" pieces it seems. Duke talking about it on the Breakfast Club drove it home home when he said "People lose arms and legs to get the minerals for your cell phone. What if all those people showed up at your door like 'I want my stuff'?" Us, U.S, etc. I stated elsewhere in the post that the only ADOS adult actor in the film is the very negligent father in the beginning. I have to wonder if Peele just knew it'd be harder to sell this "we all benefit" narrative to a ADOS actors when communicating underlying current of the film? If so, for me it begs the question; Does he realize WHY it's harder to convince us of that? or Does he just not give a fuck why and thinks immigrants just "get it" like he does being half white and all?
I think this is mainly where him being half white makes its biggest impact on this film. Only 1.5% of black people in America are rich enough to vacation like the black people in the film and a large percentage of them are boomers and likely 1st, 2nd, or 3rd generation immigrants. Peele also said his movie is about an "African American" family which I take it means (B)lack or ADOS, but he couldn't find ADOS people to play them and he literally chose to depict Black folks in the 1.5 percentile of wealth as the focal point in film about the rich being at guilty. That's pretty laughable when you think about it... which most people won't lol.
13322772, lol
Posted by MiracleRic, Wed Mar-27-19 07:52 AM
13323046, Be an adult, fam. Express your thoughts coherently.
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Thu Mar-28-19 10:24 AM
13322893, oookay
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Wed Mar-27-19 12:56 PM
>
13323410, As a creative you got to make a choice.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Sat Mar-30-19 07:52 AM
I feel like all black creatives wrestle with it, but when you are committed to using black subjects in your work you have deal with the burden of representation. Meaning since black people are so rarely depicted to broad audiences, do you present them as model figures in order to not make your people not look bad or do you honest representations of real people and run the risk of making all black people look bad. I read a lot of Spike Lee's production journals and he wrestled with this all the time. I wrote my thesis about it somewhat.

Jordan Peele has made clear that he wants to use black actors in his film (I am pretty sure he didn't say African-Americans). That's awesome. He could have easily made this movie with Paul Rudd and a white family and we wouldnt' have any debate as to whether he is being critical of black america. It would have just been a drunk white dad not watching their kid and that would be the end of it. But fuck that, it's awesome AF to see a movie starring a black cast that isn't really about blackness just them being a regular ass family.

There is almost an insecurity in black folks when we get concerned that a film of black people making the mistakes at all people make is going to somehow negatively reflect on all black people. We human.

13323436, Was this meant to be a reply to #241 ?
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sat Mar-30-19 04:19 PM
13323437, the non-responses to reply #241 say all that need to be said
Posted by c71, Sat Mar-30-19 04:26 PM
yep
13323443, It's definitely interesting and duly noted
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sat Mar-30-19 05:28 PM
13323442, Also, he did say "African American" in the Rolling Stone interview
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sat Mar-30-19 05:25 PM
"I realized I had never seen a horror movie of this kind, where there’s an African-American family at the center that just is." - Jordan Peele
https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-features/director-jordan-peele-new-movie-cover-story-782743/

So yes, he said the movie is about an "African American family."
Are you going to admit to being wrong? Because you just said you were "pretty sure" he didn't say that. Not sure why you thought I'd make that up when that's not my MO.

As far as having to make a choice (and this is where you're referring to reply 241), I agree to some extent, yet there's also ways to go about this where it's not such a clear cut choice. For example, the father didn't have to be depicted as he was in order for the girl to get lost... neither did the mother. The "mistake" wasn't even made to look honest on their parts. I've already explained how none of this exists in a vacuum and influences people subconsciously. Where racism is concerned, this is especially important.
13322904, My take: It wasn't about race
Posted by Damali, Wed Mar-27-19 01:20 PM
everyone is going to see something different in terms of the larger "message"..

one take away for me was that it speaks to what happens to people's minds when they're imprisioned and treated inhumanely while they are there...and what the cost is to society when they are released

there seemed to be other inferences to privilege, the role of faith in our lives, etc.

again, art is subjective.

beyond that, i think it is a stellar piece of art in a genre that isn't really my favorite..but i see how much respect and reverence he has for the genre..its all over the film in how he calls out other films..like the Shining (the white twins) and A Clockwork Orange (murder scene happening amongst happy-ish music)..even to a horror music video (Thriller).

The lighting, score, music choices, cinematography...all top notch. As a filmmaker, he has the stuff.

I also don't think the film was about race, at all. There was a moment when Adelaide asked Red something (can't remember) and she said "We're Americans"...it took that as a bit of an endictment on America as a whole..as a system..etc. Which circles back to the prison industrial complex. And yes, race is baked into all that, but I didn't get the sense that this film was as focused on race as Get Out was.

Absolutely loved it and I want to see it again in the theater, without hiding behind my hands lol

Finally, i'll say that i'm excited to see Jordan's journey as a filmmaker. He got a head start in a big way, unlike Spike, but his voice and point of view is important.

Oh and i fucking hate the continued commentary on him being "half-white"..that's some petty reductive bullshit that has me looking sideways at anyone who mentions it.

d
13323007, Performing arts interpretation
Posted by Riot, Thu Mar-28-19 06:42 AM
https://twitter.com/LifeAsKing/status/1109825007461502976?s=19

Because, blakk ppl
Lol
13323411, I dug it (spoilers)/C71 I'm waiting for my "You was RIght"
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Sat Mar-30-19 08:05 AM
I think I enjoyed it more than others because I had no expectations that this will be Get Out II. Filmmaker said it wasn't so I believed him when he said it.

In fact, the only time I cringed is when Red said she was "America" because I thought it might be going the c71 route.

If any other filmmaker had made it this would have just been regarding as a fun, scary horror movie that you shouldn't think too hard about analyzing because it all falls apart like a movie like Hereditary.

And I think there is some symbolism there. This easily can be seen as commentary regarding the people making your sneakers and iPhones, but again I wouldn't waste my time by doing frame by frame analyzing of the deeper meaning of the film.

I also think JP made a point of a slow death for Elizabeth Moss and the death of the white twins because he wanted white audiences to feel what black audiences feel when black characters are killed.

My one critique, as a horror film it didn't completely work for me because I was fairly confident that Jordan Peele wasn't going to kill that original black family. I never completely bought that they were in that much danger (though I could see the dad getting off'd but I was thinking that JP didn't want that criticism of black man being disposable).

Now c71 bamma'd up this post because while it was a decent working theory based on the trailer that the theme might be Black People are our own worst enemy, it was dumb to say that's what the movie is definitely and clearly about based on the trailer. And then my man doubled down after people saw the movie before him and said that's not what it's about. Homie wouldn't have looke so foolish if he just said I think this what's the movie about, but will have to wait and see when it drops.

13323428, oh, I'm supposed to believe folks didn't see reply #242
Posted by c71, Sat Mar-30-19 02:14 PM
yep
13323434, Nigga you don't get to make 120 wrong post and point to one late ass
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Sat Mar-30-19 03:52 PM
single post like you absolved. GTFOHWTBS

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant
13323435, TOKP reply is to ignore when I have support
Posted by c71, Sat Mar-30-19 04:09 PM
reply #241 AFTER the movie was released

and several days later wanting to start up, like I never got the support (reply #241 - AFTER the movie was released)

yet....

I'm supposed to "overlook" no one wanting to "tangle" DIRECTLY after replies #241 and #242 and be all "ready" to accept that those replies went by (when none of my other replies went by unnoticed) AND be ready to start up all over again (with my support - reply #241 - conveniently "buried" by subsequent replies)

nope
13323438, you're
Posted by howardlloyd, Sat Mar-30-19 04:41 PM
just wrong brother

its america (i am race)...so thats always baked in

but no way is US the movie you predicted

it wasnt about drugs... it wasnt about race

it wasnt about people being their own worst enemies

it was about the U.S. (US), class and privilege
13323444, So bwood (reply #207) is wrong too?
Posted by c71, Sat Mar-30-19 06:03 PM
bwood from reply #207:

"With that said I don't know what exactly Peele is trying to say here outside of we are our own worst enemy."

>
>it wasnt about people being their own worst enemies
>

So.....

If you disagree with bwood about the "own worst enemy" thing....I'm cool with you disagreeing with me too.

edit: (thanks for not responding sooner)

more than bwood....a BIG theme in this post is how much Peele should be deferred to in regards to explaining what "US" really means

so.....brother.....

is Peele "wrong" or "lying"?

reply #17:

"Instead, Peele revealed that it’s “about something I feel has become an undeniable truth, and that is the simple fact that we are our own worst enemies.”"

Well?

Can't we "trust" Peele to tell what "US" is about?
13323446, Here's a quote bwood said directly to you:
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Mar-30-19 06:15 PM
"It's DEFINITELY NOT saying anything your trying to push."

So I don't know that you can credibly represent bwood as agreeing with you.

Now I'll go back to not replying.
13323449, Yeah, well I included Peele on the "own worst enemy" thing
Posted by c71, Sat Mar-30-19 06:21 PM
in the edit

so....

have fun not replying to that

edit: two people can be considered "wrong" and not "agree"

I didn't say bwood agreed with me.

bwood said the "own worst enemy" thing...and so did trustworthy writer director Peele. howardlloyd said the "own worst enemy" thing was wrong.

I agree with bwood on the "own worst enemy" thing - but obviously not everything.
13323451, But Peele never said black people are our own worst enemy.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Sat Mar-30-19 06:42 PM
He said this movie isn't about race.

If he had chosen to put one of the white doppelgangers in the trailer your premise would have fallen apart with the trailer. It certainly falls apart with viewing the movie.

13323452, reply #17
Posted by c71, Sat Mar-30-19 06:45 PM
reply #17:

"Instead, Peele revealed that it’s “about something I feel has become an undeniable truth, and that is the simple fact that we are our own worst enemies.”"
13323454, "I don't see myself casting a white dude as the lead in my movie. Not that I don't like white dudes,"
Posted by j0510, Sat Mar-30-19 07:34 PM
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/rambling-reporter/jordan-peele-says-i-dont-see-myself-casting-a-white-dude-as-lead-us-1197021

Jordan Peele on Making Movies After 'Us': "I Don't See Myself Casting a White Dude As the Lead"
MARCH 26, 2019 12:17pm PT by Chris Gardner, Seth Abramovitch

Hot off the record-breaking success of his latest high-minded horror flick, the writer-director advised Hollywood improv students on ego, marijuana use and why minority actors will always star in his films.

On Monday, as the town buzzed about new box office records set by Us, the film's 40-year-old director, Jordan Peele, was not whiling away the hours in a Universal lot bungalow fielding congratulatory calls from studio execs. Peele was on a cramped stage in East Hollywood at improv mecca Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre, the starriest guest yet for the school's new conversation series.

There was a sense of familiarity hovering over the proceedings. No surprise, as Peele got his start in improv before landing on MADtv in 2003, then achieving sketch-comedy stardom with Comedy Central's Key & Peele in 2012.

Peele gave the standing-room-only audience — a diverse set of 20-something improv students, aspiring storytellers and fans — about an hour and 20 minutes of his time in a wide-ranging conversation that covered his hugely successful career, his marijuana dependence (a double-edged sword), the making of Get Out, inclusive casting and his favorite Twilight Zone episode.

The audience gave Peele a raucous standing ovation when he entered the room, a conquering hero dressed down in dark denim jeans, black Nikes, an Aviator Nation hoodie and a T-shirt with Corey Feldman's face on it, for some reason.

UCB co-founder and moderator Ian Roberts, who executive produced Key & Peele, began by mentioning Us' $88 million global box office haul — the "second-biggest opening for an original live-action film," he noted. Added Peele: "That's after Avatar. The stats get cooler when you say the thing that beat me."

"The best way to end this great weekend is with you guys," Peele told the crowd of 200. The moderator asked Peele when he first recognized his earliest glimmers of talent. That would be when Peele was in fifth grade doing a stint at TADA! Youth Theater in New York City. He recalled feeling a "burning sensation in my gut" that was hotter than his shyness. Peele was cast in a show that proved to be "the first win in a long career of wins and losses."

From an early age, Peele showed natural skill at drawing, painting and other visual arts. "But the performing part came out of nowhere," he recalled. "It surprised everyone." No one more so than his single mother. "When I was 7, I did an impression of Ronald Reagan and my mom gave me great feedback," he said, before launching into that wobble-headed impression with a raspy, "Hello."

He credited his skill with impressions and, later, improv to his ears. The art of listening, he said, is something that continues to inform and elevate his work. "Nothing is more important," Peele insisted. "The more you are armed with what you take in, the more ammo you have. ... Directing for me is about hiring the right people, listening to them and helping them do the best job possible."

Peele said he's also learned how to listen to his ego — and to turn down the volume. "You have to shelve it," he said. "You have to check it constantly. It's so easy for it to come out and rear its ugly head." That can happen anywhere from the set of a $20 million horror film to the humble improv stage. "The ego is deceptive and it will screw you up," he said, adding that when it comes to performing, the "honest response" will always get the biggest laugh.

He name-checked Steve Martin and Martin Lawrence as major influences in comedy; in directing, he listed Tim Burton ("the aesthetic and the fact that he was telling these fairy tales about 'the other'") and Ridley Scott ("Alien and Thelma & Louise were two really important movies for me — very different, but perfect"). In high school, he knew he wanted to be a director, but rather than go to NYU to study film, he picked private liberal arts school Sarah Lawrence College in Yonkers, New York.

"The day I didn't go to NYU, I said maybe wasn't for me," he recalled. In the end, Sarah Lawrence wasn't for Peele, either. He dropped out after two years in order to study improv and sketch comedy, noting a dearth of black performers in those fields, a hole he intended to fill. "I knew I had to leave," Peele said. "But it's not a classically lucrative industry, so it's not like I can recommend that black people get into it because it doesn't pay." The line drew weary laughter.

He moved to Chicago and studied at Second City, where he met Keegan-Michael Key. The two brought their talents to Los Angeles and landed on their feet with gigs on MADtv. Toward the end of his contract on the Fox sketch show, Peele said he was offered his dream gig: a spot in the cast of Saturday Night Live. It was around the time that then-Senator Barack Obama was "becoming a thing," he explained, and Peele did an uncanny impression of the future president. But MADtv producers wouldn't let him out of his contract, ending his SNL dreams.

He locked himself in a room and started smoking a lot of weed, plotting his revenge, "like a comic book supervillain," he explained. Then it hit him: "I wanted to be a producer," he realized. "These producers are making these decisions about art and comedy and they don't know anything about art and comedy. I want to be a producer and bring my artistry and they'll all be sorry."

Peele decided he first had to "be great" and gave himself "seven to eight" years to get there. So he started developing multiple projects simultaneously to see what stuck. Get Out was one of those early scripts. "Every two weeks I'd go, 'What the fuck am I doing? I'm writing a movie where a black man is victimized and all the white people are evil and I'm trying to get the audience to have fun,'" he recalled. "But if you could make that fun … that's what brought me back."

He eventually finished the script. Producer Sean McKittrick bought the thriller spec on the spot, to Peele's utter surprise. That turned to shock when McKittrick said he was on board with the idea of Peele directing it himself.

Budgeted at $5 million, the film became a cultural phenomenon, earning north of $250 million worldwide and winning Peele an Oscar for best original screenplay. He saw his status in Hollywood change almost overnight. With the success of Us, he's now well on his way to joining the rarefied ranks of blockbuster auteurs like Christopher Nolan and personal hero Scott.

Fame is still something he's figuring out. "I don't envy someone who gets famous overnight," Peele cautioned. "The hardest part is being recognized. I used to think that being in the public eye gave you power. But all of a sudden, they have the power and can come up to you an hour into dinner."

But there are other kinds of power, and Peele plans on wielding his judiciously. One way is to keep putting black faces on the screen in leading roles. "The way I look at it," he explained, "I get to cast black people in my movies. I feel fortunate to be in this position where I can say to Universal, 'I want to make a $20 million horror movie with a black family.' And they say yes."

It's a formula he's not interested in messing with.

"I don't see myself casting a white dude as the lead in my movie. Not that I don't like white dudes," he said, nodding over to his moderator pal Roberts. "But I've seen that movie." The line drew loud applause and shouts of agreement. "It really is one of the best, greatest pieces of this story, is feeling like we are in this time — a renaissance has happened and proved the myths about representation in the industry are false."

During an audience Q&A, a woman asked Peele to name his favorite episode of The Twilight Zone, seeing as he's taking over from Rod Serling for CBS All Access' planned reboot of the sci-fi anthology series.

Peele cited "The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street." The story centers on what happens to a neighborhood when they fear aliens have landed in their town. "It points out the ugliness and flaws of humanity," Peele explained. "That's what I like to do with my stories. The real monsters are within us. When people get together we are the greatest monster we've ever known."
13323488, Two days later I want to change my review. It's deeper than I initially gave credit.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Sun Mar-31-19 04:48 PM
As I have a day or two to think about it (and it's been on my mind alot since the initial viewing), yeah its very much an indictment on America and our ability to cut our "good lives" off from all the people below the surface that make it possible (and those people who don't have access to that "good life".

Cuz here is the thing, as folks who see me post can figure, I am a pretty moderate, conservative even, person. However, moderate and conservatives have never been able to answer for me the pretty obvious question....what the fuck are we going to do with all these people who are not upwardly mobile?

JP is awesome..despite being bi-racial and having a white wife.

13323689, The Movie was not entertaing to me at all. What am i missing
Posted by Crisco, Mon Apr-01-19 03:30 PM
from the opening 10 minutes I knew I wasn't gonna like this movie. And it never really picked up. Well till the people were outside but they weren't very scary. It was not a horror film. Just a strange suspense thriller. That didn't thrill me. Meh

GET OUT was 100 times better.
13323719, Dope flick. *Really* like the multi-layered story this has
Posted by flipnile, Mon Apr-01-19 05:48 PM
I love all of the loose ends left out too. The sub-context of "haves" vs "have nots" was well done. It started off slow, but by the end I'm wanting more.
13323720, they had 'Pita's skin glowing in the first 1/4 of the movie
Posted by double negative, Mon Apr-01-19 05:55 PM
i felt like a gotdamn pervert looking at how shiny her legs were looking.

i feel like a pervert saying this now.

13323721, Saw it this weekend *Spoiler*
Posted by Adwhizz, Mon Apr-01-19 06:03 PM
Really entertaining movie. Can definately tell this had a bigger budget than Get out

All four of the family Members had distinct personalities and held their own. People were mad at how the Dad was portrayed, but it's not HIS story. Lupita is the main character of this story (and puts on a damned good performance.) The Dad more than held his own managing to kill two of the Zombies and making it to the end of the Film on a broken leg.

This movie might be better if you just take it at face value, don't expect a perfect 1::1 analogy. I could have done without the explanation they provided of where the tethered came from

I wonder what happens to the Tethered that belong to people with FUCKED UP lives above ground.
13323723, Someone has to mime
Posted by Marauder21, Mon Apr-01-19 06:30 PM
huffing paint and jerking off before passing out on their couch with cold Wendy's fries all over their face at 4:00 pm on a Wednesday. Every week.
13325284, Finally saw this the other night and wow. C71 gets GD L of the year on this
Posted by Hitokiri, Tue Apr-09-19 12:34 PM
For being loud, wrong, taking Slim Charles' advice to fight on that lie.

Also the movie was kinda wack.
13325316, Yeah. Also, if the white family had shadow people
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Apr-09-19 01:29 PM
How could it be Blacks are our own worst enemies?
13325387, but what was Peele saying with the opening family? With that father?
Posted by c71, Tue Apr-09-19 03:59 PM
hmmmm.....

I don't see that as a neutral choice. Nothing about the opening scene father was neutral.

so....

If you think that opening scene father thing had no message...uh (ignored reply #241, again)
13325574, your hands gotta be cramping up
Posted by Hitokiri, Wed Apr-10-19 11:28 AM
the way you're grasping at these straws.
You were massively wrong.
And look foolish for fighting so hard for an idea you got from the fucking trailer.
Accept the L and move on.
13325643, Nah, y'all couldn't and didn't address the points raised in
Posted by c71, Wed Apr-10-19 02:27 PM
reply #241 about that father in the opening scene embodying some negative stereotypes that I expected to see addressed from the trailer

Y'all still dancing around that opening scene with that father and that family, which is why y'all didn't reply to reply #241.
13325695, Biggest L of GD in 2019
Posted by Hitokiri, Wed Apr-10-19 07:23 PM
But but the drug references!!!
13325697, that father complaining about his wife nagging about 2 beers
Posted by c71, Wed Apr-10-19 08:10 PM
later scene taking a smoke break in the counseling session about the daughter

both scenes with the father (1st beer, 2nd smoking) coincidence?
13325744, You're right, that clearly makes it a film about Black self-destruction
Posted by Hitokiri, Thu Apr-11-19 09:04 AM
and African-American glorification of drug-use.

/s
13325785, how did the daughter get lost?
Posted by c71, Thu Apr-11-19 10:39 AM
that father with his beers
13325787, Clearly a film about Black self-destruction
Posted by Hitokiri, Thu Apr-11-19 10:42 AM
13325799, A Black family going at version of themselves is self-destruction
Posted by c71, Thu Apr-11-19 10:55 AM
No matter the storyline you put under it.

which is why Peele said that "our own enemy" theme in reply #17 that folks want to ignore

Why didn't Peele say in that reply #17 article "the unavoidable truth that an alternate version of ourselves can pose a danger to us if we let them rise up"?
13325802, Clearly a film about Black self-destruction
Posted by Hitokiri, Thu Apr-11-19 10:59 AM
fight on that lie.
13325807, I state my case as always
Posted by c71, Thu Apr-11-19 11:06 AM
some things never change
13325578, Horror movies would last 5 minutes/never get started
Posted by Adwhizz, Wed Apr-10-19 11:41 AM
If characters did what they were SUPPOSED to do.

They had to find a way for that main character to end up in the fun house/build suspense at the beginning
13325663, I mean JP made clear he wants to use Black Characters/Actors
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Apr-10-19 03:32 PM
Which is comendable but then you got to deal with fools who think that any negative depiction of any of his characters is an a critique of all black people.

This fools argument about this being a critique of black people being our own worst enemy would have been deaded if he had just put some of those white tethered folks in the trailer. Definitely deaded when you see the movie.

13325698, then why didn't you reply to reply #241
Posted by c71, Wed Apr-10-19 08:11 PM
?
13325700, It’s over - rdhull(c)
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Apr-10-19 08:35 PM
13325701, then let the record show I was in it till the end and the
Posted by c71, Wed Apr-10-19 08:37 PM
dancing around reply #241 was brought up till the end

If y'all like battling so much #241 was the chance to show you REALLY battle

but....y'all thought #241 was going to slide by...then come for me days later.

Nope

So...it's over....but start bringing me up again and you know I'll be right there...like y'all weren't with reply #241
13325804, I’m going to play 241 in the pick 3
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Apr-11-19 11:04 AM
13325811, You said it was over, but as you see folks still want to battle
Posted by c71, Thu Apr-11-19 11:10 AM
So you see I'm right here to do it - unlike replies that come days later and aren't direct replies to a reply that brings up my assertions.
13325761, I literally addressed that point in the post you just responded to
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Apr-11-19 09:54 AM
And also in #276.

13325789, reply #276 is several days after reply #241 and reply #308 is
Posted by c71, Thu Apr-11-19 10:43 AM
in a different month.

Where was a direct response to #241 as in a reply that states "in response to #241"?

That's is how battling goes here

You had no problem making a whole reply with my name in the subject line and I gave you several direct replies to that reply.

So why couldn't you give a direct reply right underneath #241 if you want to battle me so much you made a reply that directly had me in the subject line?
13325818, Lmao not days ago fam.
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Apr-11-19 11:23 AM
You prolly kept this thread open on your browser for months.
13325822, Now this phase: the supposedly "we" don't care yet reply
Posted by c71, Thu Apr-11-19 11:28 AM
after reply, then replies with my name.

uh.....

I'm from East Flatbush, so battlin' is battlin'

not wishy washy "it's over" yet come back if you think you can get the points you didn't get the first time around - when you supposedly didn't care, that is, when it was supposedly "over"
13325880, You making the bush look terrible
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Apr-11-19 01:34 PM
13325875, Wait you mad because I didn't state "in response to #241"
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Apr-11-19 01:22 PM
Your shit was looking mad not stable before but how far into crazyland you want this post to go?

>in a different month.
>
>Where was a direct response to #241 as in a reply that states
>"in response to #241"?
>
>That's is how battling goes here
>
>You had no problem making a whole reply with my name in the
>subject line and I gave you several direct replies to that
>reply.
>
>So why couldn't you give a direct reply right underneath #241
>if you want to battle me so much you made a reply that
>directly had me in the subject line?

13325937, look right under the #328 on your reply- what does it say?
Posted by c71, Thu Apr-11-19 03:41 PM
It says "in response to reply #320"

uh....

you didn't have to type that - it is automatic when you make a DIRECT REPLY

a direct reply is when you address a reply that is of a seeming concern to you.

Since you made this:

277. "I dug it (spoilers)/C71 I'm waiting for my "You was RIght""

(a subject line)

then...

reply #241 should have been exactly what you wanted. Since I replied to #241 with my reply #242.

Where were you then that you had to ask for me in reply #277?

13325702, it's bizarre. like, characters have to have flaws in order for there to be
Posted by Rjcc, Wed Apr-10-19 08:38 PM
a story.

these niggas really don't understand that having black leads means that they'll also be developed enough to have flaws and backstories with tragedy and heartbreak

some people slept through english class and it fucking shows.

13325703, like reply #17 says, Peele said the "own worst enemy" was
Posted by c71, Wed Apr-10-19 08:42 PM
central

So....

when that "own worst enemy" is the "thing", those "flaws" relate to that..

y'all dancing around that reply #17 quote "own worst enemy" and how those "flaws" relate to it.
13325582, He was saying watch how I flip it so you think it’s the daughter
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Apr-10-19 11:53 AM
of the main family instead of Lupita’s character.
13369364, Up for no reason
Posted by MEAT, Thu Feb-27-20 09:51 PM
13442019, It really sticks with you.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Sep-14-21 12:57 PM