Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectWell, having relocated to one of those, let me tell you
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13303060&mesg_id=13303092
13303092, Well, having relocated to one of those, let me tell you
Posted by B9, Thu Dec-20-18 12:10 PM
Grew up in Tulsa, moved away for 20 years, moved back 2 years ago from Atlanta. I worked remote for my same company for the first 16 months back (before this program started, damnit) and the difference in cost of living and everything else are pretty fantastic compared to Atlanta. Quality of life, on the other hand, you just have to be ready to expect a lot less (although it is leaps and bounds a better place than when I was growing up here). Food sucks, attractions are limited, not living in a hub also sucks for flying. And the politics...well...
But I moved back 70% for family reasons and 30% for "Atlanta is getting too damn expensive, and it isn't expensive" reasons. I bought a 1500 sqft home for $165K that would have been $600K+ in the current Atlanta real estate market. The program that is out there and linked is sponsored by George Kaiser, who is giving away money like crazy trying to boost up the image, standing and economic diversity of the city/region. If you had no ties (mortgage, family) and could work remote while maintaining decent pay, that program is a good chunk of free money with both the $10K cash and discounted luxury apartment they give you all for just a one-year commitment. If I were still living in Atlanta, and it were only a year and I wasn't married, I would do it in a heartbeat.