Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectAn email I got from one of my parents rejecting a trophy.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13300967&mesg_id=13300967
13300967, An email I got from one of my parents rejecting a trophy.
Posted by kingjerm78, Fri Dec-07-18 02:23 PM
Hello Coach,

I apologize for the delayed response. I didn't pay for a trophy because **** didn't want one. In his words, he didn't feel like he was really a part of the team. I totally understand the culture of football from growing up in Belle Glade, which is why I would prefer him to choose another sport. However, he loves playing football, but he's only played flag up until this year. ***** not aggressive (prayerfully this will change with growth and development), but he can catch and he can track a ball. ***** knows the abilities that he possesses and those that he doesn't, and he felt that instead of giving him the opportunity (when he's in the end zone and nobody is tracking him because they know who will get the ball), you all preferred to utilize the kids with raw talent. This is not a rant, but just wanted to give you some insight on his feelings. ***** will never be the kid that is excited to win just because he's on a winning team, but didn't contribute to the win; and he has never liked accepting trophies in win or lose situations (when there is really no second place). I respect his decision. While I truly appreciate the gesture, we will decline the trophy. I hope you have a blessed day.

***** - jit name redacted

So...this is the age old scenario of the parent thinking their kid is better than what he is. The kid played on his daddy’s FLAG football team for years...they were undefeated. I mean, I’ve never met a flag coach that wasn’t undefeated, but that’s another story. The kid could catch and he could run routes. He wasn’t aggressive at all. He wasn’t ready for the level of competition and would have been better served playing a level down.

I responded:

Thank you for your response. Wow. Didn’t know he felt that way. I wish he would have told me he felt this way during the season. I had fun teaching him the game and I hope him all the best in the future. I would really like for him to come back next year!

Coach

I know this was all dad. He wanted his son to be on the level with my studs, but your boy isn’t putting in the amount of work they have. They were here in spring workouts, they were here during the summer workouts, your boy wasn’t. He was given plenty of touches and sometimes you have to understand in tackle you have to run he ball. Can’t air it out on every play like flag. So no, your son will not get 5-8 targets a game.

First time I had a kid decline a trophy.