Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectMore updates to vent (How can you be a friend to someone like this?)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13298692&mesg_id=13341990
13341990, More updates to vent (How can you be a friend to someone like this?)
Posted by handle, Mon Aug-05-19 01:24 PM
So the friend who I let stay with me is no longer part of any story.

But my friend who the overdraft fees taken and needed to get a roomate has updates.

1)He had a roommate who beat him up pretty bad the day he was moving out.

No idea why - I suspect the roommate (mid 20's guy) couldn't take living with him and gave notice. (My friend would be the worst possible roommate - home 24 hours a day, eats smelly foods, smokes pot, doesn't clean, house is a mess, bathroom is a mess.)

But the roommate also sounded like a hot head asshole - plus my friend would not have de-escalated anything ever.

Cops called twice (once a few days before move out) and once on the day of move out. My friend has visible busing on chin, cuts on knees (from scuffling/grappling) and a possible cracked rib (X-ray results not back yet.) No one arrested.

Basically friend is depressed and doesn't realize that having roommates is basically his JOB now. Since he's on SSI and is renting a room in the house for greater than 50% of rent he has some duties such a:
Make sure house is semi inviting.
Make sure gross shit is cleaned up.
Try to give the other person privacy when possible.

Also dude has like 10,000 toys/bric-a-brac stren around the house colelcting dust, being worth 0 money, and not doing anyone any good.

I went and helped him move a bunch of DVDs/CDs/Books onto bookshelves and off the ground, then to use the breakfast nook area to store boxes. I want him to put anything he hasn't used in 1 year into a box to minimize clutter.

Also if you never need it again then throw it away or sell it.

So in about 3 hours we made a small dent - but he needs to continue it.

If he loses this place he'll defiantly also lose ALL of his shit anyways.

How can I be a friend with someone like this? Do I disengage?