Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectYour compassion and commitment to your friend is remarkable
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13298692&mesg_id=13302773
13302773, Your compassion and commitment to your friend is remarkable
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Tue Dec-18-18 08:41 PM
I've been in situation where my neck was extended with folks with emotional struggles, not so much financially but emotionally, and it was trying. So, for you to stand-in for the work family ought to do is worth applauding.

But yeah, there are and should be conditions to the support you offer.

Setting him up in a psychiatric-care facility might be best. It's clear he isn't able to cope with these recent stresses and getting some time away and even getting his meds fine-tuned might be the boost he needs.

But the helplessness he's showing is the worst. There's nothing you can do to pull him out of that. Unfortunately it's simply part of the condition of depression, bipolar and other forms. I'm sure you want to kind of tug at him to give him positive momentum, but you seem to know that it is only going to aggravate him and ultimately be counter-productive.

It hurts being involved with folks who are struggling. You don't want to be the person who turns your back on them when their at their worst. You wouldn't want someone to turn you away in a time of need.

But you're not a professional and your only obligation as a friend would be to offer and then follow thru if you can. You've done all you can.

Have you thought about getting your friend in a group home? I don't know the timeline for getting him accepted tho.