Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI don't know the answer yet
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13298692&mesg_id=13298713
13298713, I don't know the answer yet
Posted by handle, Fri Nov-23-18 05:28 PM
>But is the bank actually referring to it as "overdraft
>protection" or is that what your friend is calling it.

Not sure, I need to see the records. They offer "Overdraft protection" and something called "Courtesy Pay." Each has a fee starting at $27 per occurrence, with a max of 5 a day.

>I'm curious over what time period your friend managed to rack
>up 2K in OD fees, most banks limit the amount of overdraft
>fees you can get per day.

This seems to have taken over the place of a month. he wasn't notified by text, phone, email, or postal mail. I don't think he banks online at all.

I can only imagine it's because of series of funds behind withheld, fees coming in, and then everything sorted to transact STRONGLY in the banks favor to maximize the amount of service fees they collect.

I need to see the records. Because if he had $800 on day and was expecting a deposit of $1000 to come in that arrived a few days he pay have written a check for $900 that wouldn't clear and while it was being held another round of bill payments came in that also hit the fee. Some transactions may have been retried several times by automated systems.

It seems WILD.

(Hell it could have been he got depressed or manic and did a bunch of stupid shit - but he claims he did not, only the records will tell the story.)

>When you/your friend calls find out how/when he turned on that
>feature, he might have been prompted to turn it on while
>signing into online banking.

We will be going down there together once I review his records with him and talk to their bankers.

First we need to stop any future money from being deposited into that account.

Second we need to establish another bank account at a different bank in case we have to close this one.

Then: The strategy is figure out what happened first, then go down ask that they refund all services fees, and if there's any amount owed once all the fees are removed for me to pay it for him. That's the best case scenario.

Worst case is they refund nothing, keep all his money and try to collect from him and he's 1 month behind on rent.

Anyway you do it he'll be homeless without my help. And homie ain't moving in with me.