Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectSerial Season 3 - Anyone know about this ?!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13298150
13298150, Serial Season 3 - Anyone know about this ?!
Posted by Brew, Mon Nov-19-18 09:53 AM
Just learned over the weekend that the 3rd season is currently underway. Blew my mind, came out of nowhere. I read the overview of the season and I love the direction they went with it. Gonna start listening this week.

https://serialpodcast.org/

I kinda didn't think Serial would exist after season 2. Glad they kinda went back to their roots of previously unknown stories. Season 2 was an interesting story that deserved to be told, but I just kept wishing they'd done another sort of little-known story like they did with season 1 rather than focusing on something that we all knew about to some extent.

Anyway I'm interested to know if anyone has been listening to this season, and whether or not it's worth diving into.
13298154, I have been listening.....
Posted by TR808, Mon Nov-19-18 10:09 AM
Its been good so far.... what really blew my mind was some of the things that happen in the courts system ... its crazy....
13298155, Last episode went up late last week. My favorite season of the three.
Posted by mrhood75, Mon Nov-19-18 10:13 AM
I’m a little pissed it was only 9 episodes. I could seriously listen to an ongoing podcast just focused on this.

It’s extremely well done. But it’s often depressing and infuriating. I think putting a spotlight on the “normal” cases was an inspired choice. Excellent at showing how lives are effected by going through the criminal justice system, even when things go “right.” Shoes now much all levels of the system are in serious need of reform. And it’s very good demonstrating how many people who get it caught up in the system have zero support.
13298158, Yea this is what I figured.
Posted by Brew, Mon Nov-19-18 10:22 AM
>It’s extremely well done. But it’s often depressing and
>infuriating. I think putting a spotlight on the “normal”
>cases was an inspired choice. Excellent at showing how lives
>are effected by going through the criminal justice system,
>even when things go “right.” Shoes now much all levels of
>the system are in serious need of reform. And it’s very good
>demonstrating how many people who get it caught up in the
>system have zero support.
13298256, I completely agree.
Posted by Cam, Mon Nov-19-18 07:06 PM
13298156, I really hope Koenig aint run out of bars
Posted by Amritsar, Mon Nov-19-18 10:14 AM
kinda felt that way the direction post-season 1 has gone
13298332, It's really interesting. I'm three eps in. Been slacking though......
Posted by WarriorPoet415, Tue Nov-20-18 11:23 AM
....I have to catch up and listen to the rest.

Way better than boring ass season 2.

"To Each His Reach"

but.....

Fuck aliens.
13302872, I'm 5 episodes in and whewwwww.
Posted by Brew, Wed Dec-19-18 01:27 PM
A lot of this stuff is infuriating (while at the same time, unsurprising) but ohhhhh boy was I absolutely fuming when she was interviewing that Steve Loomis neanderthal in episode 3. That sorry excuse for a human being is the prototype for the kinds of humans who need to just be extinct.
13302901, The Loomis stuff was fucking infuriating
Posted by mrhood75, Wed Dec-19-18 02:47 PM
I was grinding my teeth listening to it (which I always do when I get REALLY angry). Wife had to tell me to knock it off a few times.
13303004, The condescending defiance, while again unsurprising ...
Posted by Brew, Wed Dec-19-18 11:28 PM
... was what was driving me nuts. She had him cornered on so many questions, or at least I thought so ... and like a true Trumpster he had (bullshit) answers for everything. Besides the last question. Ughhhhh and there's so many more like him. AKA the whole Republican party.
13336111, I'm two episodes in and it's amazing and infuriating
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Fri May-31-19 07:28 AM

Our system is soooooo fucked. I think we should ban plea bargaining.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
13336240, You would have to make A LOT of other changes in tandem with...
Posted by mrhood75, Fri May-31-19 01:55 PM
...eliminating plea bargaining. Considering that at lesser part of the reason it’s so prevalent is because of an over-taxed court system, you’d have to do a massive overhaul. You’d have to decriminalize drugs to a large extent, and probably prostitution and solicitiation. You’d probably have to develop some outside of the court arbitration system for certain crimes. And after that you’d have to have more judges, public defenders, and even prosecutors, as well as the court space to try all these new cases. And then you’d have to reform or incentivize the jury system given the many, many, many new jurors that would be required.

The plea bargaining system is very much broken. Prosecutors have all the power and often don’t act in good faith. But making meaningful change is going to have to be a part of a significant overhaul.
13336345, Had no clue...
Posted by tonywashington, Sun Jun-02-19 05:49 PM
thanks for the heads up.
13337772, how about the judge saying she had the bulge in her notes?
Posted by makaveli, Tue Jun-11-19 04:28 PM
just finished episode 3. wow.