Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectIn better news: Yellowstone might be about to explode and kill us all.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13275076
13275076, In better news: Yellowstone might be about to explode and kill us all.
Posted by stravinskian, Wed Jul-18-18 08:50 AM
The last time something like this happened, the Toba supereruption

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toba_catastrophe_theory

was the biggest mass-extinction event in recent history, with release of toxic gases on a worldwide scale, ash clouds blocking most of the sunlight worldwide for nearly a decade, and a thousand-year mini ice age.

If I remember correctly, Yellowstone is a significantly bigger volcano than Toba. It hasn't gone off in more than 600,000 years. But that's bad news. It's behind schedule.

Today's news: the ground is shifting in the Tetons.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5965601/Is-Yellowstone-blow-Vast-fissure-sparks-URGENT-closure-Grand-Teton-National-Park.html
13275078, I volunteer the entire GOP party as tribute.
Posted by MEAT, Wed Jul-18-18 08:52 AM
They should sacrifice themselves for the greater good.
13275080, and if that doesn't do it, there's always the Cascadia subduction zone
Posted by Backbone, Wed Jul-18-18 09:11 AM
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one
13275113, DAMN. This is *insanely* fascinating.
Posted by Brew, Wed Jul-18-18 10:53 AM
Now all I want to do is read about earthquakes, tsunamis, seismology.
13275129, I'm surprised I never learned about this before
Posted by Meadow, Wed Jul-18-18 11:15 AM
"Without moving your hands, curl your right knuckles up, so that they point toward the ceiling. Under pressure from Juan de Fuca, the stuck edge of North America is bulging upward and compressing eastward, at the rate of, respectively, three to four millimetres and thirty to forty millimetres a year. It can do so for quite some time, because, as continent stuff goes, it is young, made of rock that is still relatively elastic. (Rocks, like us, get stiffer as they age.) But it cannot do so indefinitely.

There is a backstop—the craton, that ancient unbudgeable mass at the center of the continent—and, sooner or later, North America will rebound like a spring. If, on that occasion, only the southern part of the Cascadia subduction zone gives way—your first two fingers, say—the magnitude of the resulting quake will be somewhere between 8.0 and 8.6. That’s the big one. If the entire zone gives way at once, an event that seismologists call a full-margin rupture, the magnitude will be somewhere between 8.7 and 9.2. That’s the very big one."

Two fault lines on the west coast and a super underground volcano in the middle of the country. Could you imagine the damage if these two popped off at the same time during hurricane season? We're done.
13275509, HOE LEE SHIT!!!
Posted by exactopposite, Thu Jul-19-18 10:59 PM
13275083, You share company with Joe Rogan.
Posted by Numba_33, Wed Jul-18-18 09:37 AM
I remember Joe Rogan ranting about this on more than one occasion about two years ago or so on various episodes of his podcast.
13275085, Only three posts to get to the worst take.
Posted by MEAT, Wed Jul-18-18 09:44 AM
If Joe Rogan today said Fluoride in the water is a good thing should I start drinking stream water with sugar to spite my health?
13275088, LOL, it's not that serious.
Posted by stravinskian, Wed Jul-18-18 09:55 AM
Well, it will be very serious when it does go.

But for the record, yes, I'm aware of the vastness of geological timescales. And even if it is 10,000 years behind "schedule" (which, also, is a subtle thing to estimate), it could still plausibly be another 100,000 years before it actually explodes.

Still, the existence of a massive caldera, in the mainland US, that will eventually cause worldwide catastrophe, is an interesting story. As is news about unexpected motion of that ground.

If you thought I meant the post as some kind of warning of impending catastrophe, then you're gullible enough to, well, listen to Joe Rogan.
13275091, I haven't listened to his podcast
Posted by Numba_33, Wed Jul-18-18 10:02 AM
in roughly two or so years now. I mentioned his name because I remembered him ranting on different podcasts about Yellowstone at random times. Just something that stuck in my head since it isn't common for folks to talk about the dangers of Yellowstone Park.
13275097, In that case, my apologies for overreacting.
Posted by stravinskian, Wed Jul-18-18 10:09 AM

Being likened to Joe Rogan is a major insult where I come from.
13275098, No apologies are needed. n/m
Posted by Numba_33, Wed Jul-18-18 10:11 AM
13275142, Lol I was trying to remember where I'd heard of this
Posted by Mynoriti, Wed Jul-18-18 11:30 AM
and it was Rogan. Sometime within the last couple months haha
13275086, The article says the closure is due to potential rockfall.
Posted by Fire1986, Wed Jul-18-18 09:45 AM
Scientists cannot predict volcanic eruptions.
13275094, Yes, the CLOSURE is due to rockfalls.
Posted by stravinskian, Wed Jul-18-18 10:06 AM
But the rockfalls are caused by fissures opening up, apparently due to ground being forced upward from the caldera.

If the caldera erupts, park closures will be the least of anyone's problems.

>Scientists cannot predict volcanic eruptions.

As I just said in post 6, I don't ACTUALLY think the world is gonna end today, and no experts are actually predicting that. I would have hoped that my sarcastic thread title would have made that clear.

However, the statement "scientists cannot predict volcanic eruptions" is simplistic and misleading. An enormous amount of effort has gone into studying the dynamics of the Yellowstone caldera in recent decades, and by now we know quite a lot about how it works.
13275089, yellowstone looking at life like...
Posted by double negative, Wed Jul-18-18 09:57 AM
https://www.dailydot.com/wp-content/uploads/228/6f/ab64a69d4cd848bad23ed0f9190a91eb.jpg
13275092, I have this theory that everything we worry about at any given moment
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Jul-18-18 10:04 AM
Is probably not the most important thing we should be worried about at any given moment.

We are always fighting our last war. Like people fear WWIII and we prepare to make sure it doesn't happen, but no one say WWI or WWII coming.

I could go on.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
13275279, FOH
Posted by imcvspl, Thu Jul-19-18 06:16 AM
>but no one saw
>WWI or WWII coming.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."
13275308, lol, that was actually pretty fun
Posted by GROOVEPHI, Thu Jul-19-18 09:22 AM
13275344, Who saw 50 million Causalities coming after the assassination
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Jul-19-18 10:33 AM
of Archduke Franz Ferdinand? Or the invasion of Poland?

Or I guess I would rather say societies as a whole aren't perceiving the biggest disasters that are right around the corner that look kind of obvious in retrospect.

>>but no one saw
>>WWI or WWII coming.
>
>
>█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
>Big PEMFin H & z's
>"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1
>thing, a musician." � Miles
>
>"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

13275511, Since the invasion required preparation
Posted by exactopposite, Thu Jul-19-18 11:01 PM
By definition the invaders knew it was going to happen
13275515, "people tend to underestimate the damage people do"
Posted by rob, Thu Jul-19-18 11:35 PM
seems like a better explanation than "people never see it coming." selfishly disregarding legitimate risk is not the same as ignorance. the titanic was called "unsinkable" because sinking boats have killed a lot of people.

the civil war, world war i, all the proxy wars related to the cold war (vietnam included), etc., etc. surprised people, not because they were violent, but because they were *persistently* violent.

i'm sure a majority of Americans don't comprehend exactly how disastrous the invasions were in Afghanistan and Iraq, and those went exactly as we predicted.

same for mass extinctions, climate change, public health crises, bad loans, tax cuts, war on drugs, etc. etc. etc.

even with natural disasters (this, other earthquakes and volcanos, hurricanes, asteroids, em bursts from random stars, etc. etc.) it's just a matter of probabilities and uncertainties. the universe will always be interesting and weird and surprising, but we do live in a world where cardiovascular disease is 6 times more likely to kill you than an accident is.

bg's stance on this reflects plausible deniability when it comes to short term thinking and self interest.

13275352, We're currently being sold by our so-called president to Russia ...
Posted by Brew, Thu Jul-19-18 10:41 AM
... and no one's doing anything about it or even acknowledging it. So yea.
13275354, bro wtf does this mean? lol.
Posted by Reeq, Thu Jul-19-18 10:43 AM
>Like people fear WWIII
>and we prepare to make sure it doesn't happen, but no one say
>WWI or WWII coming.

like niggas just woke up one day and bombs started dropping? lol.
13275426, I bet if you read the headlines in 191-1915 and saw what people
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Jul-19-18 01:32 PM
were worried about, I bet it wasn't that they were on the precipice of a near global war that will ultimately have 50M casualties.

I bet the Assassination of Archduke Ferdinand probably didn't even make front page headlines at the time.

We had been sending "advisors" for years to Vietnam for years before it grew into America's greatest military defeat.

Shit even with this Russian investigation, a lot of these stories aren't new stories. So many things have popped up and died down and the full significance wasn't known at the time (e.g., Hillary Clinton called Trump a Russian Puppet all the way back in the presidential debates).

My point is that the shit that will probably wipe us out won't even make headlines when it first starts being noticed, like this story.

13275517, it's easy to find front pages from 1914
Posted by rob, Thu Jul-19-18 11:46 PM
>I bet the Assassination of Archduke Ferdinand probably didn't
>even make front page headlines at the time.

it definitely did.

>We had been sending "advisors" for years to Vietnam for years
>before it grew into America's greatest military defeat.

that just a shitty america-centric narrative and moving goalposts though. we were fucking up in korea when we were sending advisors, and france had already been embarrassed in vietnam.

>Shit even with this Russian investigation, a lot of these
>stories aren't new stories. So many things have popped up and
>died down and the full significance wasn't known at the time
>(e.g., Hillary Clinton called Trump a Russian Puppet all the
>way back in the presidential debates).
>
>My point is that the shit that will probably wipe us out won't
>even make headlines when it first starts being noticed, like
>this story.
>

i think there's a difference between disinformation/apathy and something not being noticed.

you're trying to spin "big things start small" into way more of a point than is merited.
13275829, Here's the Times Front Page from the day after
Posted by magilla vanilla, Mon Jul-23-18 01:53 PM
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Headline_of_the_New_York_Times_June-29-1914.jpg
13275365, Please do
Posted by Anonymous, Thu Jul-19-18 11:04 AM

>I could go on.

13275122, How close should I be if I want to go fast?
Posted by Walleye, Wed Jul-18-18 11:07 AM
Given the choice, I'm more interested in being killed by the immediate eruption or, possibly, the toxic gas. My back's been bothering me lately and I don't think trying to survive in a world without sun is really going to be a great look.

On the other hand, if the answer is going to be within 500 miles I'll have to see a lot more of my wife's family while I'm waiting. That may not be worth it until we have a more certain doomsday.
13275313, haha
Posted by KiloMcG, Thu Jul-19-18 09:35 AM

>On the other hand, if the answer is going to be within 500
>miles I'll have to see a lot more of my wife's family while
>I'm waiting. That may not be worth it until we have a more
>certain doomsday.
13275131, Time to load up on prepper gear
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Wed Jul-18-18 11:20 AM
13275145, we could only hope.
Posted by shygurl, Wed Jul-18-18 11:41 AM
13275283, What ?
Posted by Lurkmode, Thu Jul-19-18 06:43 AM
These last two replies, damn.
13275488, just a little gallows humor, don't mind me.
Posted by shygurl, Thu Jul-19-18 07:10 PM
13275282, im firmly in the 'we deserve whatever we get' camp.
Posted by Reeq, Thu Jul-19-18 06:40 AM
we clearly dont care about this earth or the other people living on it.
13275285, Anyone seen How It Ends?
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Jul-19-18 07:48 AM
13275315, RE: Anyone seen How It Ends?
Posted by double 0, Thu Jul-19-18 09:46 AM
It was kinda dumb...

but yea coulda been a caldera.... smaller than the Yellowstone one though

ash zone for yellowstone would be all of the US

https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/942747/Yellowstone-volcano-eruption-death-zone-map
13275306, So I take it they have been fracking in Yellowstone?
Posted by Castro, Thu Jul-19-18 09:19 AM
13275314, RE: So I take it they have been fracking in Yellowstone?
Posted by double 0, Thu Jul-19-18 09:42 AM
No
13275336, there's some real idiots in this post and I need to get off the internet
Posted by Tiger Woods, Thu Jul-19-18 10:23 AM
jesus
13275341, Well, that's one way to halt global warming.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Jul-19-18 10:29 AM
lol
13275357, It's actually getting to be one of the big mitigation strategies.
Posted by stravinskian, Thu Jul-19-18 10:47 AM

Not on this scale, of course. But smaller amounts of particulate matter in the upper atmosphere could balance out the greenhouse gases.

They call it 'geoengineering.'

Super dangerous, extremely expensive, and would require major international cooperation. So I don't see it happening in our lifetime. But it might be the only answer.
13275366, I imagine they'd never agree to it until it's too late.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Jul-19-18 11:08 AM
>Not on this scale, of course. But smaller amounts of
>particulate matter in the upper atmosphere could balance out
>the greenhouse gases.
>
>They call it 'geoengineering.'
>
>Super dangerous, extremely expensive, and would require major
>international cooperation. So I don't see it happening in our
>lifetime. But it might be the only answer.

I'm moderately obsessed with this idea and the possible side effects (part of the reason I enjoyed the movie "Snowpiercer"). Any scientific solution to a serious problem that constitutes as "dangerous" always lights my fire of intrigue-- I love imagining the guys and girls who cook up these ideas and have to basically spend the next several years studying, "... can we make my idea reality without killing everyone on Earth?" ANY IDEA THAT REQUIRES THAT LINE OF THINKING GETS AN A+ MY BOOK (as long as they don't execute it before they have the answer, lol).

I actually *loved* the part of that article where they discussed dangerous ways to stop Yellowstone from going off.
13275415, Yeah, that geothermal idea is super exciting.
Posted by stravinskian, Thu Jul-19-18 01:04 PM

Enormous amounts of clean, free energy, all while defusing this world-wide catastrophe. The closer you dig, the better it works, but also the higher the likelihood of triggering the catastrophe you were trying to fix.

I wanna work on THAT project.