Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectMy commute is only 12 miles round trip...but I have my daughter daily
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13273292&mesg_id=13334263
13334263, My commute is only 12 miles round trip...but I have my daughter daily
Posted by FLUIDJ, Wed May-22-19 02:05 PM
because her daycare is at my job...I commute by bike year round because it's the most efficient/convenient/cost effective way. Even before the ebike...

>..The only people I see using eBikes in NYC are delivery
>couriers (makes perfect sense).

It's important to differentiate between the types. There are pedal assist and full electric with a throttle and everything. I'm on the pedal assist bendwagon....because I view it as simply a more efficient gearing mechanism and natural evolution of the bicycle. You still gotta pedal...you'll still work up a sweat (if you want to) and it's still bicycling..as opposed to motoring.

>I get the convenience, assistance, and efficiency, but I still
>can't reconcile the maintenance and weight.

My bike is around 60lbs unloaded....add in the child seat (Yepp) and my ortleib bags and my daughter and i'm pushing a full load of around 100lbs. The efficiency is primarily in the commute time coming home for me...which is all uphill. The e-bike cut my commute home in half allowing the whole process to align better with my older daughters school let out time and my wife's work schedule...basically I can get home in time to NOT have to pay for after-care for the older kid and my wife doesn't have to adjust her work schedule to part time hours.

>What's daily life like for an eBike owner?

A lot more efficient and enjoyable for the most part. Maintenance is no more or less than my not e-assist bikes. I've got hydraulic disc brakes which is actually really really nice. Biggest annoyance is actually from other bikers....a lot of them look at biking as a competition or a race... i'm just trying to get from point A to point B as efficient and pleasant as possible....but they always want to test me...

Pedal assistance on my bike tops out at 20mph btw....

here's a link https://www.bennobikes.com/e-bikes/boost/

>*skatin' the rings of saturn*
>
>
>..and miles to go before i sleep...