Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectDo you have a social media persona? Or are you the same online vs off?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13260498
13260498, Do you have a social media persona? Or are you the same online vs off?
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Thu May-24-18 11:49 AM
There's one dude I know that is snarky and aggressive as all hell on twitter. Clapping on any and everybody.
But when you meet up with him in person, he's quiet and reserved.

What up with that?

How is it with you? I think most would say my social media persona matches the real life me.
13260513, I'm making my Twitter/Instagram accounts "in-character" accounts
Posted by flipnile, Thu May-24-18 12:24 PM
Only really post about art, music and machines there. That's a big piece, but far from the entirety of "me"

I've realized that a lot of shit I do is boring (I collect and catalog rocks & seeds, for example), so I try to keep it interesting.

13260531, in-person, I talk about ALL SORTS OF SHIT
Posted by flipnile, Thu May-24-18 12:58 PM
Like, no filter. Since trolls have to pay a cost IRL (that we all know that won't or can't pay), there isn't that issue of some dickhead taking your words out of context, purposely not understanding or straight-up lying, trying to earn brownie points by pandering, etc. Overall, I just don't trust people on social media. They have no obligation to make sense, be logical or ethical.

Also can't stand folks that act like it hurts their head or costs something to fucking think about a particular subject, so a lot of shit online is mad superficial. Better depth IRL.

I'm a subset of myself online.
13260519, i'm more serious online i think.
Posted by shygurl, Thu May-24-18 12:49 PM
In real life I joke a lot.
13260521, Same ol same erywhere....cept I bite my tongue more online
Posted by ambient1, Thu May-24-18 12:51 PM
and my switch flips quicker irl
13260522, The same...
Posted by Trinity444, Thu May-24-18 12:51 PM
13260569, I say less on social media
Posted by tariqhu, Thu May-24-18 03:27 PM
than I do in real life. otherwise, the personas are the same.
13260573, this pretty much me
Posted by infin8, Thu May-24-18 03:31 PM
I probably actually think more things through and I think faster on my feet.

I'm very reactionary and 'in the moment' on here. It works for me because summa yall are quick to check/counterpoint and I take ALL that into my real life discussions.
13260574, of course. and each channel serves a different function.
Posted by double negative, Thu May-24-18 03:39 PM
twitter although not used a lot is about my career. I got in late so I'm like way way way the fuck off with being in-dialog with people on twitter. but I am always posting about my favorite books and telling authors I love their work or giving kudos to designers I like.

instagram is all about my design work...or rather its a stream of art images in the design dialog. I really want my instagram feed to be a bit of a thing to follow. Finding followers organically is a hard won battle. Good thing is I'm gaining about 10 to 30 people per post. Bad thing is I really take my time with my content because I'm crafting each and every post so it takes time.

facebook is me just being me

reddit is me being an internet stranger reading through all the racist, troll-y shit

kinja is my conscious side where I am legitimately have honest discourse with like minded people
13260582, have you tried running up to him shouting your opinions?
Posted by Rjcc, Thu May-24-18 05:25 PM
what if the other people are the ones who are different online or off?

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at