Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectAnyone use Apple TV as an airplay receiver? Help me figure this out
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13257812&mesg_id=13257812
13257812, Anyone use Apple TV as an airplay receiver? Help me figure this out
Posted by dba_BAD, Fri May-11-18 04:23 PM
As an Android user, at home I use a Chromecast audio hooked up to my old non-bluetooth speakers to approximate a bluetooth setup, and then control the thing w a Google home mini. Love it, and the whole thing cost me $60 to orchestrate - love that too

I was all excited to similarly hook up my mom, until I realized that as a committed ios and iTunes user, neither the Google home mini nor the Chromecast audio will work for her

So

Like me, she has an old non-bluetooth speaker, and like I did for myself, I want to hook her up on the cheap

One option is to just buy a bluetooth receiver to connect to her speaker and call it a day, but it seems like the good ones aren't as cheap as I had hoped (they certainly are no $30 Chromecast audio)

I also read something about using an Apple TV (which she has) as an airplay receiver, but what I don't understand is is can that be achieved independent of a tv? Can I use her existing Apple TV (2nd gen I think, maybe 1st... How can I tell?) on its own with the speaker to enable it to receive airplay, and leave anything else like a tv out of it? If so, how?

Or, any other suggestions?

I know the easiest idea is to just cop a Bluetooth speaker for her and call it a day, but the game of it for me is to see if I can do it by reusing as much of what she already has as possible (old speaker, old Apple TV)