Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRE: Sounds right and similar to BigReg's point I wonder if...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13256226&mesg_id=13256522
13256522, RE: Sounds right and similar to BigReg's point I wonder if...
Posted by dapitts08, Mon May-07-18 03:27 PM
>Being aware of the puppet strings makes someone "freer" than
>the person who doesn't acknowledge them?

i think it goes both ways. i think some will feel freer because they can manipulate them while others will feel enslaved due to the constriction of them.

>I could toned down my praise and think it's cool that the
>brother can do network TV, release music, and dance shirtless
>and femininely like he don't give AF feels pretty free to me.

i can see that. but with him who knows what compromises he's had to make to get the access he has. i think he spoke about how Atlanta would be different if not for the gatekeepers in that GQ article.

>I am old and cynical (and invested) in thinking that you have
>to be able to navigate white spaces in order to have a certain
>amount of freedom in this country.

i feel you. i honestly can't think of anyone who has attained extreme financial success that hasn't had to maneuver through white spaces to attain it. if not them, then someone on their team. it's the reality we live in. the power structure in this country is so overwhelming white that i can't think of any path to completely circumvent it.

do i think it has to stay that way? nope. but that gets into the black wealth talk and building our own systems. not sure if that is something we'll see fully realized in our generation. but looking at VCs like Arlan Hamilton with Backstage Capital building funds with the sole purpose in investing in black founders gives me hope that its closer than most think.

plus with all the athletes & musicians dipping their toes into Silicon Valley ventures it feels like we are at the beginning stages of breaking through that good ole boys club.