Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectIts the opposite. He sees the matrix lines of code and suffers through it
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13256226&mesg_id=13256370
13256370, Its the opposite. He sees the matrix lines of code and suffers through it
Posted by BigReg, Mon May-07-18 09:28 AM

Kanye swears HE does but he couldn’t be further from the truth.

Kanye’s in an industry where if you churn out excellent work you’re shielded from everything(Hi Kellz). Its why he had all those tantrums during his transition to fashion; a world that has the same racial gatekeepers we deal with as black folks every day (“You ain’t got the answers Sway!”) and hit that wall.

Now he’s talking like he’s leaped over that wall into fashion greatness but his biggest coup in that world IS A BLACK DUDE SELLING SNEAKERS! LOL, like that’s never happened before, LOL. He’s back on the plantation.

Glover knows he’s on the plantation but tries to work his way around it. He’s more Chappele/Chris Rock in his views on celebrity and success and what you can and and can’t do. Its why that New Yorker profile of him earlier this year is underrated, like read between the lines:

After watching Matt Damon handle the publicity on their movie “The Martian,” in 2015, he perfected a talk-show-ready geniality. On Jimmy Fallon, he told a tale about being bit on the butt by a dog; on Conan O’Brien, about meeting a sexy coyote; on James Corden, about a seal that popped up beside his surfboard. When I wondered about the authenticity of those anecdotes, he said, “Your job is to be as interesting as possible without actually saying anything.” He grinned. “So, yeah, animal, animal, animal.”

Didn’t black people actually make “Twelve Years a Slave”? “Yeah,” Glover said. “But in the white system.” He picked up a rock from the fire pit, then dropped it and blew on his fingers. “If ‘Atlanta’ was made just for black people, it would be a very different show. But I can’t even begin to tell you how, because blackness is always seen through a lens of whiteness—the lens of what white people can profit from at that moment. That hasn’t changed through slavery and Jim Crow and civil-rights marches and housing laws and ‘We’ll shoot you.’ Whiteness is equally liquid, but you get to decide your narrative.” For the moment, he suggested, white America likes seeing itself through a black lens. “Right now, black is up, and so white America is looking to us to know what’s funny.”

“Chris Rock told me, ‘Man, they wouldn’t have let me make your show back in the day.’ I’m a little better than Chris, because I had Chris to study. And now I am actively looking for the black female to replace me.” Robinson studied him over the flames. “I’m going to die someday, I hope. Then I won’t have all this pain and anguish and pressure.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/03/05/donald-glover-cant-save-you