Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectUgh.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13254846&mesg_id=13255263
13255263, Ugh.
Posted by soulpsychodelicyde, Wed May-02-18 11:02 AM
I hear you. I do.

But mental illness doesn't make sense and he's certainly not looking to use it as a cop out. I think we have to be careful about downplaying how it can completely take over someone's life.

No one *wants* to be ill.

And ALSO... He's not looking for an excuse. AGAIN... if he had tried to kill himself vs. talking shit, his mental health would not be in question and we wouldn't be using language like "MENTAL ILLNESS DOES NOT EXCUSE THIS HURTFUL DETRIMENTAL BEHAVIOR." Would you say that if he had tried to commit suicide?

He hurts himself = crazy
He hurts us = not crazy

We're mad b/c his illness + platform allowed his illness to be on full display in a way that hurts us. When it impacts us, we change the narrative, but really, the drivers are the same. Do you see the disconnect?

He's not looking to be excused and I'm not excusing him (not that what I say matters). But there's important context here that doesn't include questioning his intellect -- again substitute the offensive rant for a suicide attempt.

Finally, NO ONE. Not a single person is saying that what he said isn't dangerous and shouldn't be loudly and vigorously opposed to (shouts to Van). That's not a question. That needs to happen, did happen, and is happening. BUT ALSO, he's sick and I hope he gets help.

THAT should be our posture.