Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectYea I mean, I just hate seeing it used as a cop out.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13254846&mesg_id=13255246
13255246, Yea I mean, I just hate seeing it used as a cop out.
Posted by Brew, Wed May-02-18 10:49 AM
In my experience, it doesn't help the person suffering from mental illness get better if you enable some of their worst behaviors. Re: Kanye, I think you're right, the evidence has been there for years. But there's also been a ton of evidence that he isn't that bright. But it wasn't detrimental so most people were willing to give that a pass.

But now that it *is* detrimental I'd hate to see us give him a pass because he's mentally struggling, and not check him while at the same time encouraging him to get further treatment. They can both be done.

But MENTAL ILLNESS DOES NOT EXCUSE THIS HURTFUL DETRIMENTAL BEHAVIOR. I'm not saying that the illness isn't the root cause, it very well may be. But it also very well may not. We don't know for sure. And even if we DID, mental illness is not a free pass to act in a detrimental manner. It does not excuse that behavior. The mental illness needs to be treated. And the detrimental behavior needs to be LOUDLY opposed, no matter the cause of it. Again, my entire point is that both can be true.

Mental illness does not excuse telling an entire population of historically oppressed people that they "chose" to be enslaved and oppressed. That is fucking fucked, no matter if he's sick or not. That should NEVER be given a pass.