Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRight.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13254846&mesg_id=13255239
13255239, Right.
Posted by soulpsychodelicyde, Wed May-02-18 10:43 AM
So, no. I'm not a mental health professional so I probably know less than you do about mental illness.

That said, Kanye has been demonstrating signs of mental illness for years. And that's just the shit *we* see on TV, etc. This has been talked about ad nauseum. I mean... I wasn't in those rooms with Weinstein but do I need to be to know that he's a serial sexual predator?

ALSO... he's basically admitted it in small (and some not-so-small) ways over the years, and in particular over the past few days. His wife alluded to it as well.

Without knowing shit about shit, I maintain that this is really clear and to question it just because you (the universal you) don't have his medical records seems disingenuous. There's plenty of evidence of Donald Trump being a racist based solely on his behavior but we don't know of him running down the street shouting 'I hate ___." (The collective) we have been saying Kanye is mentally ill for years. Let's not walk it back because his behavior is egregiously offensive to US. Because we're the ones offended now he's not crazy? That's unfair and short-sighted.

Again I say that this is what happens when mental illness goes unchecked and untreated. It doesn't get better. It gets worse. And while there are degrees of mental illness, there are illnesses that might have you be perfectly functioning today, and then you're off your meds for a while and you're behavior is nutty.

If you decided to leave your wife b/c she's displaying erratic behavior that happens to be racist, how you handle it and how you hold her accountable is your choice, but it doesn't mean the illness isn't the root cause.

Listen, I get it. 1 + 1 = 2. That he's a stupid narcissist is the only way we can explain the behavior. And under normal circumstances that would make sense.

But when you add mental health issues to the equation 1 + 1 = 5q3489-rtu eoidjklsgiopq3, unfortunately.

Mental illness is really, really hard to understand and even harder to explain but we need to try and muster sympathy and empathy b/c had his behavior manifested itself in a suicide attempt vs. a racist rant, the conversation would be very, very different.