Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectThe reason I keep saying "I got nothing"
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13246029&mesg_id=13249212
13249212, The reason I keep saying "I got nothing"
Posted by Ryan M, Mon Apr-09-18 11:59 AM
Is because it's broken down in this thread. A lot. Why repeat it?

If you don't feel like these are valid theories about the show - then say why. If you don't think that the episode worked - then cool. But the thing about people looking deeply into art is that - OFTEN times - the creator(s) intentionally put clues/visual gags/colors to invoke feelings, etc. And sure, over-analysis is a thing. We've all seen that. But to discount that completely is wrong.

My personal read on this is that it's very obviously commentary on Michael Jackson, entertainment fathers, and finding out success doesn't fill the void left by a shitty childhood. But that's obvious I guess. I think using a character like Darius, who you kinda believe anything about at this point because he's just that weird and interesting, was a genius move. Paperboy woulda been outta there quickly but they set up Darius' 2-regret policy and you TOTALLY buy into it.

I don't think the elevator/Prince connection means much. I also don't know if it really matters if Benny is their father or not. I also don't think this has any toe stepping on that of Get Out, given that the photo thing was set up with Darius' character last season (?). Sure, it could be a cutesy nod to it (I mean, Get Out did open with a Donald Glover song), but I don't think it matters. I also don't think black horror belongs to Get Out, and I see no real connection between the two outside of the stuff that's been pointed out.

I guess my point here is obviously art is subjective, but the authors of these pieces most often DO put things in to lean into a feeling, a message, etc. To discount that off the jump and say people 'read into things too much' is negating all the work people put into these things - colors, composition of shots, editing, mis en scene, music, art direction...sure, sometimes these things fail or try too hard at these things or try too hard to be "deep" but this show is clicking on all cylinders and it's really dope to watch.