Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI wouldn't call Tiny Desk minstrelsy for one reason.....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13239060&mesg_id=13241797
13241797, I wouldn't call Tiny Desk minstrelsy for one reason.....
Posted by rorschach, Sun Mar-11-18 08:43 PM
Even though the setup is similar, the point there is that there is an appreciation of the artist present in ways that don't seem as evident is those 'rapper on the table' videos.

The Tiny Desk performance are basically a companion to whatever piece NPR is doing on the artist.

When I see the rappers on the table, there's more of a desperation in their performance.....as if those rappers have to nail it in order to come up so they overcompensate by jumping on the table.

Also, the vibe in those videos just feels off. There are clearly people there in those videos that couldn't care less about the artist outside of trying to figure how they can capitalize. I'm not saying that doesn't happen at NPR as well but it's not as evident in those Tiny Desk videos to me.

Bottom line: The more I type, the more I realize my gripe is probably more with how white people choose to engage black culture in spaces they control. There's a detachment that many of them have that feels off to me.

---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------