Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectMy problem is you immediately went to physical intimidation and
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13225702&mesg_id=13226180
13226180, My problem is you immediately went to physical intimidation and
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Jan-16-18 10:31 AM
the threat of violence.

As black men, we are trained our entire lives to put white women at ease because any time you cross a white woman, she can immediately go to the "I was threatened" route and make us look like predators and play on the stereotype of the voilent black man.

I was just in a meeting a few weeks ago and I had a disagreement with a white woman in the meeting and she began to cry and told others that I was acting aggressively towards her. And I am sure the people she told (and maybe even you) believe that to be true, but the only saving grace I have is the two other people in the meeting (including a white woman) assured me that I did nothing of the sort and the woman's reaction was over the type. It fucked up that I needed white character witnesses to confirm what I knew to be true, but those are the breaks being a black man.

Now we all read the story and there is nothing in the story that implies that Aziz threatened her or used any sort of physical intimidation to have sex with the woman, but still your reaction was to assume or imply that there was some form of physical intimidation. And that's the assumption is an assumption that every black male is familiar with.

I believe you have sons and I guarantee that if they spend enough time around white women, they will eventually face some accusation of being physically threatening or "aggressive" towards a white woman. I don't care how polite, how much they are trained to be respectful, it happens to all of us. I would guess that you don't want to be part of creating an atmosphere were that is easier to do without some basis for it.

The #metoo movement can thrive without pandering to racial stereotypes that hurt black men.

On another note I think the piece is good and had a lot of valid points but I do have a problem with 1.) expanding non-consensual sex to include the "I didn't want him to hate me so I did it sex" and the 2.) I don't like the attitude of the "well the #metoo movement was bound to get messy so, so what if a brown man has to be thrown in the wood chipper for the cause".

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"