Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectnah, i'm trying to engage. i mean it, if i've got the wrong read
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13225702&mesg_id=13225861
13225861, nah, i'm trying to engage. i mean it, if i've got the wrong read
Posted by rob, Mon Jan-15-18 12:34 AM
educate me

>validate your accusations.
>
>>that last paragraph is fucked up imo, and everything before
>>it is full of equivocations.
>
>
>What is fucked up about the last paragraph in your
>judgment and WHY is it fucked up?

well, it's victim blaming. it's throwing a whole generation of women under the bus based on one story. and intersectionality doesn't mean we pit women and men of color against each other in misery poker. we don't even know what really happened or the fall out for aziz yet, but there are solutions here that don't involve winners and losers.

this fucking story isn't going to be the straw that broke the back. she wouldn't have pulled this shit in a think piece on bill cosby.

>What are the equivocations she's making in the whole
>piece and HOW are they equivocations?

First paragraph, she can't relate...second paragraph...but wait it's important and valid, then the shift to "in it's way" which is textbook equivocation....third paragraph, a run down of an assault that ends with the author moralizing about why the woman is stupid for thinking this time would be different.

The fourth paragraph is total bullshit and fiction..."But as far as getting away from a man who was trying to pressure us into for sex we didn’t want; we were strong." There's no data that suggests date rape, let alone marital rape and sexual assault from strangers, is something that millenials are more susceptible to than previous generations.

The rest follows from that false premise, with a misreading of intersectionality and some false sanctimony about the right way to be empowered and a journalist. I don't like the tone and narrative in the original story either, but...fuck, not like this.