Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectThere was a pickup artist video posted on here one time...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13225702&mesg_id=13225831
13225831, There was a pickup artist video posted on here one time...
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sun Jan-14-18 09:36 PM
and the dude kept saying something along the lines of "ignore, persist" in relation to the woman giving hints that she was unsure or skeptical about continuing. Of course it's a PUA video, but the video ends with him taking the girl to his apt and you hear sex sounds. Some of yall might remember it.
It sounds like he watched that video.
Thing is, most guys will say that kind of thing only works if you're attractive or have alotta money. There's definitely more to it than that.

Overall tho, ignoring people who sound like they're going to turn you down is a tactic used very often in life and most often in sales. We've all been there... "yeah that's a little steep, don't think I can afford it" gets met with "well we have payment plans, and you said you needed this item, the price will rise tomorrow, so would you like to use Visa or Mastercard?" You think you were clear, yet the the salesperson just tries another angle of persuasion before making the offer again. That interaction lasts as long as you entertain it. But if you refuse to end the interaction, it will be uncomfortable. You have to decide that your peace and boundaries are important enough to you that you will walk away or hang up the phone. Many people hate those interactions, not because they're in danger but because they hate saying 'no' definitively or simply hate having to SHOW anger in the moment they feel it, especially to someone who's being so "polite.". Strangely, they'd feel some sense of guilt for hurting this "polite" person's feelings, even though that politeness is really only buffering aggression. Or in the area of peer pressure, you hate to snap at someone you care about... someone who's been kind to you so many times and vice versa. The only "fear" here is that you may offend someone you care about and possibly ruin a good relationship or that you'll be viewed as the friend who's no fun.
But what about when that fear of showing anger and fear of ruining a relationship is coupled with a fear of being physically violated in an intimate setting for someone who knows they're physically outmatched? Keep the following quote in mind as I proceed:

"She said she remembers him asking again and again, “Where do you want me to fuck you?” while she was still seated on the countertop. She says she found the question tough to answer because she says she didn’t want to fuck him at all."

That's not necessarily "tough to answer" for a clear-headed person with healthy boundaries. The answer is that you don't want to fuck him at all. But the question is, why couldn't she say that?
I'm not a woman, but I haven't always been a grown man, and I know that feeling of paralysis from the abuse in my past. There were ways I tried to prevent abuse, such as practicing saying "no" and expressing feelings firmly, practicing standing up for myself (that's not an easy habit to get into if you're trained NOT to from birth) or exiting uncomfortable situations without allowing others to disrespect me multiple times, or not being alone with someone immediately after meeting them... until I trust them. Ironically, I tend to practice these things now (albeit b/c Black men are most likely to be falsely accused of rape). None of these rules seem to have been followed in the situation at hand. That's not to say she's wrong... she's human and she may be lacking boundaries, courage, or survival instincts... or it just takes too much offensive behavior to get her to the point of being offended enough to walk away... and maybe she just didn't trust him not to harm her (but that goes back to not being alone with someone so soon). This is why she couldn't just say "I don't want to fuck you, I'm leaving." Ftr, his behavior as described, sounds like that of a scumbag. Yet, this is the behavior this society values... people who pressure situations and "make things happen" even when they look unlikely... those who "persist against the odds." Not because it's misogynistic, but because it pays off sometimes... b/c plenty people of both sexes like it that way. What we don't value enough is knowing when to quit. Since plenty people of both sexes like it that way, it's not likely to stop anytime soon. I play it safe on my end by not pushing action, even if she seems like the type to "make you work for it." Be 100% so there's no guesswork and no games. Women have to play it safe on their end too. If that's "victim-blaming" then so be it. Much of life involves making safety provisions. No, they aren't fail-proof, but they damn sure help. Many will say her story is important because it'll help others tell theirs. I think her story is also important because the way he ended the dinner told her not to go back to his place. These are signs women might wanna pay attention to.

"Grace says she sensed Ansari was eager for them to leave. “When the waiter came over he quickly asked for the check and he said like, ‘Let’s get off this boat.’” She recalls there was still wine in her glass and more left in the bottle he ordered. The abruptness surprised her. “Like, he got the check and then it was bada-boom, bada-bing, we’re out of there.”

Pay attention to weird stuff like this. Don't be afraid to ask questions like "You don't want the wine?" or to take this small moment to assert yourself like "I'm not done here yet." Predators are watching for a lack of assertion on your part in ALL things (trust me, I lived with one). It might save your life. If you don't care about your life, then hey, make zero provisions for your safety and take no thought of how your action (or inaction) may be setting of a predator's radar.