Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectJust watched Icarus...latepass
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13222449&mesg_id=13315113
13315113, Just watched Icarus...latepass
Posted by bentagain, Thu Feb-21-19 01:46 PM
Phenomenal documentary, one of the best I've ever seen really...until I started to think of the premise of it all

Dude starts out as a test subject, trying to replicate Lance Armstrong's doping regiment

Which seems all well and good as a premise for a documentary

He consults with Don Catlin...who proposes he consult Grigory instead...

...and the subsequent premise of the documentary hinges on believing that a researcher/documentarian focused on illegal doping in sport was completely unfamiliar with the Russian doping scandal

I call bullshit.

We're suppose to believe the film maker unintentionally found himself personally immersed in the Russian doping scandal

which made for a brilliant film

but, being a documentary, that bit felt like complete fiction

yes, the Lance story was HUGE

BUT, the Russian doping story dwarfed the Armstrong story, and was actually being investigated at the same time as the Lance findings were being made public

at present, you can even see how much of a bigger deal the Russian doping scandal was, as we barely hear anything about Lance anymore

Great doc, but on the premise of being a documentary, I call bullshit on the unintended Russian angle.