Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectBlack folks hate it when their public intellectuals disagree
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13220804&mesg_id=13220845
13220845, Black folks hate it when their public intellectuals disagree
Posted by Sarah_Bellum, Sun Dec-17-17 03:57 PM
If all your intellectuals agree there is probably no intellect to be found. The historical beefs of your favs make this taken down look like light work. Dialogue and conflict is a part of it and it all doesnt need to be holding hands forever.
TC is a afro-pessimist coaching his words in kitchen table vernacular to make y'all comfortable with his nihilism. He won't call it that directly because it would make supporters white and black retreat. I'm happy to see it publically because I agree with him on most points but the majority of black academia hates Afro-pessimism with the a fiery passion of 10 thousand suns.
Cornel has done similar take downs of pessimist and vice verses. This fight between the Afro-futurist and pessimist has be going on for two decades if not three with similar volleys back and forth between sides. I love because it's important for the evolution of black thought!
All that said, I wouldn't take this so personal. It's an east coast west coast beef of black thought. If it never happened we would have missed out on so much great music, ideas and style that sprung from it.

DJTB YOMM