Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectWhy I want to move back:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13220643&mesg_id=13220667
13220667, Why I want to move back:
Posted by BlakStaar, Fri Dec-15-17 06:09 PM
- I love the vibe and energy of the city.

- Culture. I think of all the things I missed since I left and I just want to fight the air like ya boy in Boyz In The Hood. The pop-up D'Angelo shows with Questlove that would have never popped off in Detroit (I love my hometown, tho!), Kara Walker at the Sugar Factory. Winter Jazz Fest. Random events at the Schomburg. FREE Summerstage concerts. The list goes on and on...

- Career. I work in media. Former news journalist. Now I'm in corporate communications. I'd like to get back in my industry or work for a nonprofit organization or maybe a cable TV channel (think Showtime, HBO, Viacom channel)

- Good public transportation. It may not be what it should be but it's still better than Chicago, D.C., Boston, etc. when you consider all the places the buses and trains go. Just look at the MTA subway map and compare it to the damn WMATA map in D.C., the MARTA in Atlanta. Gotdamn! An unlimited pass beats a car note, car insurance, maintenance repairs and other bullshit.

- SOCIAL. This it literally No. 1 and a post in and of itself. Living in a neighborhood like Harlem or Bedstuy would help me so much. I'm struggling in this department and it's partially because I live in an area where socializing--particularly with the right kinds of young Black people--can be a major chore. I am very introverted so socializing will probably always be a chore, especially as my peers continue to marry and have kids (!) I need all the help I can get. I've lived in NYC before and I've had better social experiences there. Jouelzy (The YouTuber) has videos on living in D.C., Dallas and Houston that only affirm my stance on getting back to NYC.

I remember the day I moved to Harlem, my favorite neighborhood. The weather was perfect and the vibe was right. It was exactly how I thought it would be and gave me a positive outlook after a disappointing HBCU college experience (!) Happiest day of my 20s, to be honest.

I only left NYC because I ran out of money and became quasi-homeless during an emergency I will not detail on these forums. ;-)