Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subject "Nigger" -Spock, Tarantino making a Trek movie?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13217935
13217935, "Nigger" -Spock, Tarantino making a Trek movie?
Posted by Innocent Criminal, Tue Dec-05-17 03:49 PM
Hard pass.
https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/4/16736356/star-trek-movie-quentin-tarantino-jj-abrams
13217944, going to be the teleporter scene from the first Star Trek movie on loop
Posted by Atillah Moor, Tue Dec-05-17 04:00 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro_QpDJX-Sk
13217945, I like to discuss this but could do without that word in the subject like
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Dec-05-17 04:01 PM
know what I'm sayin?

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
13217947, the word dies when it's creators do
Posted by Atillah Moor, Tue Dec-05-17 04:02 PM
13217950, Lmao
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Dec-05-17 04:03 PM
13217946, How do you say nigger in Klingon?
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Dec-05-17 04:02 PM
Back in college a white girl taught herself to speak Klingon. Shit was hilarious. We spent half the class asking her how to say shit and she was grunting and snorting. People were like “why not learn Spanish or some shit you can use?”

She’s prolly a millionaire from selling Klingon audio books.

Anyway, are Klingons basicall niggers with no home training? The last movie felt kinda racist.
13217953, I heard in the new series they are super African looking
Posted by Atillah Moor, Tue Dec-05-17 04:04 PM
I think originally they were supposed to represent Latinos or maybe Muslims(?) but by the time of the first movie they are clearly more of a stand in for more African black and brown people
13217959, In the original serious they were more asian. Like Mongolian
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Dec-05-17 04:14 PM
Dorf brought the brother to it.
13217967, I thought asians were the romulans or vulcans
Posted by Atillah Moor, Tue Dec-05-17 04:21 PM
in the series yes maybe more Mongolian? but by the first movie they were way more brown

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/tmp/themotionpicture0025.jpg
13218289, You mean Worf, right?
Posted by flipnile, Wed Dec-06-17 12:54 PM
>Dorf brought the brother to it.
13218300, Michael Dorn + Worf = DORF
Posted by Original Juice, Wed Dec-06-17 01:31 PM
DORF
13217948, Definitely more interested than anything by Abrams
Posted by Wonderl33t, Tue Dec-05-17 04:02 PM

Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Dec-05-17 04:15 PM
Sci-Fi is suppose to be thought-provoking.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

13217963, To boldly say "nigger" where nobody has done before
Posted by MEAT, Tue Dec-05-17 04:18 PM
I appreciate the man's ability to craft scenes and pacing, but fuck Quentin Tarantino.
I actually sat through the Hateful Eight and counted how many "niggers" I heard, I'm pretty sure it was over 50. *(60 according to this article http://www.houstonchronicle.com/local/gray-matters/article/Tarantino-and-the-n-word-Why-I-hated-The-6735878.php)

And putting aside the word, do we really think that man can tell a Star Trek story from a Starfleet or Federation perspective? All that man does it revenge and antihero plots.
13217969, I mean -- if you had lived then youd have heard it a lot more
Posted by Atillah Moor, Tue Dec-05-17 04:22 PM
than 60
13217987, Would you have?
Posted by MEAT, Tue Dec-05-17 04:45 PM
Bastard, monkey, darkie, and many other derogatory terms were readily available around that time.
It's lazy writing and a favorite go to and likely a-historical considering it's Tarentino.

Also in the film one of the men is familiar with him, one is purporting to be a mexican, and one is purporting to be a british nobleman ... all of them use the term just as much if not more than the confederate in the flick.

I disagree with your statement.
13218038, I agree with everything except the ahistorical part
Posted by Atillah Moor, Tue Dec-05-17 06:35 PM
The film is set at the end of of the Civil War right? The word had not lost popularity by that time seeing as how M Twain was a big fan and wrote his works 20 years later and Agatha Christie (a brit) would use the word in a famous book title almost 70 years later in England.

I think that between 1856-1858 the word would have been commonly used among most. Especially whites.

This isn't defense of Tarantino
13218059, Not a-historical in that it wasn't to be used
Posted by MEAT, Tue Dec-05-17 07:13 PM
But his hard lead in to make it as common as the word "the"
13218175, gotcha, yeah I don't know if it was that common either
Posted by Atillah Moor, Wed Dec-06-17 07:28 AM
but it wouldn't surprise me either
13217988, This guy
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Dec-05-17 04:46 PM
13217982, Who said he is doing it from the Starfleet perspective?
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Dec-05-17 04:35 PM
I think the dopest new franchise would be to do a series where Starfleet and the federation are the bad guys.

Basically, Firefly set in the Starfleet universe.

>I appreciate the man's ability to craft scenes and pacing,
>but fuck Quentin Tarantino.
>I actually sat through the Hateful Eight and counted how many
>"niggers" I heard, I'm pretty sure it was over 50. *(60
>according to this article
>http://www.houstonchronicle.com/local/gray-matters/article/Tarantino-and-the-n-word-Why-I-hated-The-6735878.php)
>
>And putting aside the word, do we really think that man can
>tell a Star Trek story from a Starfleet or Federation
>perspective? All that man does it revenge and antihero plots.
>

13217990, Because Hollywood doesn't take that level of risk in blockbusters
Posted by MEAT, Tue Dec-05-17 04:51 PM
Would you see an X-Men movie from the perspective of the brotherhood of mutants?
Would you see an Avengers flick from the perspective of the C'Thari?
Hollywood needs its heroes to be the stars.
The closest thing you get to what you're proposing is this Venom flick which somehow won't include Spiderman and that's only being done to retain the rights to certain characters.
13217992, You do it if you have a flailing franchise and QT wants to make
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Dec-05-17 04:54 PM
your next movie based on his idea.

Just saying if it's a movie based on QT's idea, it's safe to say it will probably be a different take from what we have already seen.

13217994, You're thinking franchise rejuvenation and longevity
Posted by MEAT, Tue Dec-05-17 04:56 PM
Not upcoming quarter and release dates.
In other words ... you're giving more consideration than Hollywood does to anything.
The Star Trek property made big noise on diversity and exclusivity and a new show, then moved that entire mess of a product to an app service that nobody has
Additionally they keep fucking up the timeline.
13218002, You kind of all over the place and I am missing your point.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Dec-05-17 05:15 PM
Are you saying that QT is NOT going to do a different take from all the other movies in the franchise? Or the studio won't let him?

>Not upcoming quarter and release dates.
>In other words ... you're giving more consideration than
>Hollywood does to anything.
>The Star Trek property made big noise on diversity and
>exclusivity and a new show, then moved that entire mess of a
>product to an app service that nobody has
>Additionally they keep fucking up the timeline.
>

13218014, That it'll be different, but not as different as you're proposing
Posted by MEAT, Tue Dec-05-17 05:29 PM
13218250, Got you. Let's wait and see.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Dec-06-17 11:41 AM

13218043, I'd see that Brotherhood of Mutants movie lol
Posted by Atillah Moor, Tue Dec-05-17 06:41 PM
13218005, THAT is classic OKP poast titling
Posted by Selah, Tue Dec-05-17 05:16 PM
well played
13218019, His pitch:
Posted by Rockscissorspaper, Tue Dec-05-17 05:36 PM
QT. Okay, so okay...from now on okay they are called Klingoniggers, Vulcaniggers, & Romulaniggers.

SLJ: Sounds 'bout right to me, boss.
13218044, LOL
Posted by Atillah Moor, Tue Dec-05-17 06:42 PM
so wrong
13218179, KLINGON MOTHAFUCKA DO YOU SPEAK IT?!
Posted by Paps_Smear, Wed Dec-06-17 08:08 AM
13218245, https://media.giphy.com/media/k0He6inwBCmw8/giphy.gif
Posted by Atillah Moor, Wed Dec-06-17 11:27 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/k0He6inwBCmw8/giphy.gif
13218288, excellent .gif usage
Posted by KiloMcG, Wed Dec-06-17 12:53 PM
13218774, It will be rated R. (swipe)
Posted by mrshow, Thu Dec-07-17 11:23 PM
http://deadline.com/2017/12/quentin-tarantino-star-trek-r-rating-mark-l-smith-the-revenant-drew-pearce-lindsay-beer-jj-abrams-1202222161/

Quentin Tarantino’s ‘Star Trek’ Will Be R-Rated: ‘The Revenant’s Mark L. Smith Frontrunner Scribe

EXCLUSIVE: After Deadline this week revealed that Quentin Tarantino pitched a Star Trek film to JJ Abrams and Paramount, the whole thing is moving at warp speed. Tarantino met for hours in a writers room with Mark L. Smith, Lindsey Beer, and Drew Pearce. They kicked around ideas and one of them will get the job. I’m hearing the frontrunner is Smith, who wrote The Revenant. The film will most certainly go where no Star Trek has gone before: Tarantino has required it to be R rated, and Paramount and Abrams agreed to that condition. Most mega budget tent poles restrict the film to a PG-13 rating in an effort to maximize the audience. That was the reason that Guillermo Del Toro’s $150 million At The Mountains of Madness didn’t go forward at Universal, even though Tom Cruise was ready to star. The exception to this rule was Fox’s Deadpool, but that film started out with modest ambitions before it caught on and became the biggest R rated film ever.

Quentin Tarantino Hatches 'Star Trek' Movie Idea; Paramount, JJ Abrams To Assemble Writers Room
Mark L. Smith
REX/Shuttertock
That rating was crucially important to Tarantino, who hopes to direct this Star Trek and who has helmed R rated films his entire career. Imagine how this could open storytelling lanes, or even what the banter on the bridge of the Starship Enterprise might be, if you conjure up memories of the conversations between Samuel L. Jackson and John Travolta in Pulp Fiction, or the banter at the diner between robbers before the heist gone wrong that triggered the action in Reservoir Dogs.

Smith is best known for writing the Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu-directed The Revenant and subsequently overhauled Overlord, the WWII thriller that Abrams’ Bad Robot is producing for Paramount. Pearce’s script credits include Iron Man 3, Sherlock Holmes 3, Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation and the TV series Runaway TV; he just directed his script Hotel Artemis; Beer’s credits are mostly upcoming, and include the Doug Liman-directed Chaos Walking, as well as Godzilla Vs. Kong, Masters of the Universe, Barbarella and Dungeons and Dragons, all big scale stuff.

They will lock one of the three quickly (if there is a front runner, it might be Smith), and the film will be scripted based on Tarantino’s idea while Tarantino is filming his next film about the Manson summer of 1969, which got set at Sony and has I, Tonya‘s Margot Robbie poised to play Sharon Tate, and Cruise, Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt all having met with the filmmaker about roles.
13218775, ...sigh...
Posted by stravinskian, Thu Dec-07-17 11:36 PM
13218841, how long before the first nigger joke? I say 5 minutes.
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Dec-08-17 10:27 AM

first joke in the opening scene: "a spock and a nigger are flying a ship.."
13218845, first 30 45 min in a holodeck (or similar type of simulator) scene
Posted by Atillah Moor, Fri Dec-08-17 10:38 AM
13218838, lmao @ the thread title
Posted by gumz, Fri Dec-08-17 10:23 AM