Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectBlack folks didn’t support Obama until he won Iowa.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13211439&mesg_id=13370629
13370629, Black folks didn’t support Obama until he won Iowa.
Posted by blkprinceMD05, Wed Mar-04-20 09:59 AM
Identity politics is not “oh look there’s a Black candidate, I’m Black let me vote for them”

Black ppl are so used to White ppl winning and are under the impression that many White ppl won’t support this or that, and make calculated decisions based on who they think can win (for the most part), older Black people specifically don’t feel like they have the luxury to take on passion projects, as it were.

It seems like Latinos made the same decisions in regards to Castro and women didn’t hand it all over just becuz their was six women in the race. Likewise all of us gays didn’t just say oh there’s a gay guy.

But what a VP pick says is that, u matter, u matter to my coalition, women matter, Black women matter, if he picks Pete, gays matter. It’s like going to Selma, it says u matter, what ur community values matters and that’s what identity politics is.

Clinton picking tim kaine was one of her biggest mistakes, he wasn’t an exciting choice and it didn’t show the POC who had got her the nom that she really valued them.