Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectThat seems to be the only way she knows how to be funny.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13189368&mesg_id=13240262
13240262, That seems to be the only way she knows how to be funny.
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Mon Mar-05-18 11:56 PM
I find her more silly than funny, but I really don't think she puts extras on it for white people. She was exactly the same on the Def Comedy Jam celebration in front of a crowd of Black people.

There *are* certain things that are meant for in-group interactions, and that goes for pretty much all groups. As mentioned above, we have a certain set of things that were used to stereotype us and make fun of us, so it makes sense that we'd have issues with those things on some level. I don't have the answers to how we should deal with that as a collective, but I can say that I don't get "coon" vibes from her. With her, I think this would become a historical/societal conversation about why the "ghetto girl/guy" humor is the go-to for so many Black comedians, our position in society etc. I do think that's a conversation worth having and being put on front street. Despite the fact that Tiffany's humor might stem from some deeper level of Black deprivation, I think she's pretty innocent overall. Don't get me wrong, people can innocently "coon" so to speak, but I can't even say she's doing that, b/c as was also mentioned, she doesn't throw us under the bus to make white folks laugh or over-value white folks or anything like that. She's just a silly Black woman. I can't be mad at a Black woman who feels like she plays on negative stereotypes of Black woman either tho... especially when I see that ex-girlfriend skit. That was a little much for me. The Oscars wasn't tho.