Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectC'mon fam...you KNOW what I'm saying.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13189368&mesg_id=13189996
13189996, C'mon fam...you KNOW what I'm saying.
Posted by auragin_boi, Tue Aug-29-17 05:23 PM
>it works different when it's universal humor (The Cosby
>Show/My Wife And Kids/Blackish) vs. black shit (Martin/Sanford
>& Son/Good Times and What's Happening where JJ and Rerun could
>have been like minstrel acts if white people embraced those
>shows)

Those shows are staples of black entertainment. You mean to tell me you'd be ashamed of them if white people embraced them and laughed at the shows for reasons different than yours? Those shows ran for seasons and opened hella doors for more shows. Look at what we're discussing:

-chronicles a business owner and his son trying to make it from lower class to something better. A business owner.

-A poor project family, avoiding the pitfalls of poverty to still raise a strong 2 parent family.

-A teenager and his group of friends navigating life with his single mother trying to work toward something better in life.

JJ and Rerun were part of black America fam. Natural swag through all that adversity and talent to groove at any size. If some bigot a**wipe wants to diminish that by viewing it as anything but...that's their problem. Not ours.

I'm not for the pandering and the house negro rules man.

>Ellen is white.

And Tiff is black and should have the same freedom to do what Ellen does without us going *gasp* 'the white folx might see her as a buffoon if she keeps dancing!'

True equality is being able to do what they do without any negative connotation to it. And that's what we should be focusing on.

>white people laughing at a spectacle that reinforces black
>entertainers as caricatures in their mind (as opposed to
>talented humans) is not "accepting us". The same white people
>who love Savion Glover tap dancing arent there for the social
>commentary in his work

Fam, we don't need their acceptance. We just need equal footing. Cut the check, expose everyone to the talent, let it kick down doors for more opportunity and normalize us as the talent we display.

Bigots will never go away but the way we deal with them is the key. We should never diminish for the sake of a bigot.