Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectMoving to Denver
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13181283
13181283, Moving to Denver
Posted by josephmurf2384, Sun Aug-06-17 04:57 PM
I am moving from the DC area. I just accepted a new job and will probably be headed that way at the end of this month. Can you all give me some recommendations on areas to live. The office is in the Tech Center area and right next to a light rail stop. I have not decided if i am bringing my car out right away so suggestions for areas close to light rail would help. I may stay with family the first two months, but i would like to get my own place or find a room sooner rather than later. I am 33yr old unattached, currently i play darts for fun a few nights a week, other than that i have interest in art (specifically street art/graffiti stuff), enjoy food and eat out more than in. If any of you have experience with the city and can recommend some areas to start looking i would greatly appreciate it. I have not decided if i want to try and find a roommate or get my own spot, but max for rent would probably be about 2K. Thank you in advance.
13181284, We were looking at Denver a year ago.
Posted by MEAT, Sun Aug-06-17 05:03 PM
Ended up staying. Was looking at places near Northfield, because that had the highest number of black students enrolled in elementary. Drove by it, didn't like it that much.

My advice for racial demographics is to search the racial makeups of the public elementary schools. That's public data. Elementary schools tend to be the closest approximation of a neighborhood that you can get as far as race goes.

We would've ended up in West Denver. Close enough to the city to be fine, but still with mountain views.

Good luck on the move.
13181285, Dope!
Posted by KiloMcG, Sun Aug-06-17 05:38 PM
I don't know much as far as specifics of Denver, but Colorado is the shit!

You'll probably want your car so you can get out of the city and into the mountains easier, if nothing else.
13181286, I am keeping it
Posted by josephmurf2384, Sun Aug-06-17 05:41 PM
But I was thinkinking about leaving it in VA for a month or two and get settled instead of driving across country right away
13181372, very interesting move
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Mon Aug-07-17 07:55 AM
keep us updated on how it goes! i'm from the d.c. area and i've never been to
colorado but want to go.
13181514, 60% difference in housing cost of living
Posted by MEAT, Mon Aug-07-17 12:12 PM
Less grass than expected. Much more rocks and sand as front yards.
That stretch when you're in mountains to when you come across plains is jarring
Legal weed is pretty cool, the amount of pot shops is surprising cash only btw
Huge Hispanic population, which translates into good food.
I really really wanted to make that move, and when the kid comes we still might

300 days of sunshine too.
13181506, Moving from DC to Denver is gonna be a big shift, in terms of women*
Posted by flipnile, Mon Aug-07-17 12:05 PM
*or men, if that's what you're into. A lot of black women in DC, and a lot of *professional* black women, at that. Something to think about if you're into black women and looking.

"""
Demographics of Denver. The racial makeup of Denver is 77.5% White, 11.1% Black or African American, 2.3% American Indian, 4.5% Asian, 0.2% Pacific Islander and 8.2% other race. 31.2% of the population is Hispanic or Latino of any race, giving Denver one of the highest populations of Hispanics or Latinos in the U.S.
"""
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Denver

"""
Demographics of DC. The population distribution is 49% black, 43.6% white, 5.0% other (including Native Americans, Alaskans, Hawaiians, and Pacific Islanders), and 3.1% Asian. Of these, there were 8.3% Hispanic (of any race) and 1.6% mixed.
"""
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Washington,_D.C.
13431125, RE: Moving from DC to Denver is gonna be a big shift, in terms of women*
Posted by double 0, Tue Apr-27-21 09:52 AM
Denver got some baddies though... and in general it feels they are more in shape because it is an active city year round.

But it definitely isn’t DC when it comes to the depth and variety of Black Women.
13181516, Are you B/black?
Posted by FLUIDJ, Mon Aug-07-17 12:21 PM

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
13181592, lol.
Posted by Trinity444, Mon Aug-07-17 01:28 PM
you know, lately I've been choosing "prefer not to answer"..

13181598, nope a fat white guy
Posted by josephmurf2384, Mon Aug-07-17 01:32 PM
13181677, I lived there from 2010-2014
Posted by 1-UP, Mon Aug-07-17 03:17 PM
My girlfriend and I relocated from Denver to Seattle in late 2014 and we still have a lot of close friends there. We always preferred Capitol Hill for living - but some other areas that are cool are Wash Park (we also lived there for a year), the highlands, and since we have moved the Rino district seems to have boomed a bit. Actually if you are into graffiti - this whole area is tagged up and is considered the art district. Also lots of breweries, food, etc..

The tech center area kind sucks, so don't live there haha. I worked an exit down from there pretty much the entire time that I was there. Its isolated from the city and nothing fun really happens there. Its very sterile - lots of conservative business people, tea party types, and super wack suburban moms.

As far as Denver goes - the music scene is awesome, the mountains are beautiful, and the weed industry is poppin. Its also cool how much of a transplant city it is. Its fairly easy to make friends there since so many people just moved there too. Just beware of the salty locals with their passive aggressive "no vacancy" bumper stickers. Its a strange attitude to have as a city, but again - they are outnumbered by transplants so its cool.

I never planned to move until we had a good opportunity to relocate with the job that I had at the time. Leaving was one of the hardest things that I've had to do. I love the PNW, but certainly have days where I miss Colorado.

It should be a good move - good luck!
13181764, Thank you. I will take a look at those areas
Posted by josephmurf2384, Mon Aug-07-17 04:11 PM
i definitely felt the tech center was kind of bland so i wanted recommendations on areas in the city proper. I appreciate your input.
13181787, I don't really know shit about Denver
Posted by sectachrome86, Mon Aug-07-17 06:05 PM
but I've lived in the Boulder area for the past 8 years if you have any more general questions.
13200918, I am headed to Denver this weekend. What's poppin???
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Oct-09-17 12:47 PM

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
13200919, legal weed is poppin'
Posted by KiloMcG, Mon Oct-09-17 12:50 PM
13200972, for non medical i recommend denver kush club
Posted by GriftyMcgrift, Mon Oct-09-17 03:50 PM
if you need a spot in the downtown area
13200976, But where do you go to drink, listen to good music and look at pretty
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Oct-09-17 04:07 PM
women?

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

13200982, cant help you there, only been to colorado once and spent
Posted by GriftyMcgrift, Mon Oct-09-17 04:33 PM
90% of the time in a cabin on the side of a mountain staring at pikes peak and smoking weed on the porch

of that remaining 10% i spent about half that time watching the rockies play lol

13200984, Check out The Solution on Fridays
Posted by sectachrome86, Mon Oct-09-17 04:46 PM
https://twitter.com/denversolution
13201011, this looks like a good look. Thanks!
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Oct-09-17 06:30 PM

13200988, it's just like Compton
Posted by Mynoriti, Mon Oct-09-17 05:21 PM
13430812, finalizing plans to move to the area within the next few months
Posted by bearfield, Thu Apr-22-21 10:06 PM
would love some recs for neighborhoods to live in. i'm in my early 40s, slightly misanthropic, and i don't drink so i'm not interested in any cool young person areas. likely working remotely. i'm fine with a boring, quiet, and out-of-the way location. i'll have a car and a (low paying) job. max rent is probably in the $1400 range and even that might be pushing it

i do have a long history with denver. dad and brothers grew up in aurora near the now-defunct AFB/airport (buckley?). visited grandparents in aurora maybe every other summer from age 8 to 15, then less often as i got older. last time i was there was about 8 years ago. always enjoyed the time i spent there and was always completely defeated and dejected upon returning to little rock or memphis after visiting. never had a problem breathing there or with altitude sickness, even as a kid. i'm from swedish-german stock so i think i'm genetically engineered for the mountains and valleys and high altitude in general, not this low altitude humid hell of the mid-south

i'm moving because i really need a change of scenery (been in the mid-south for maybe 30 years and never really enjoyed it) but i'm also trying to get closer to my family in the west (NV, CA, OR). denver has job transfer opportunities and seems to be a good place to establish a foothold in the general area as i inch my way closer to my true goal of socal. at the very least i'll be a "mere" 16 hours away from my family in reno rather than 28
13430819, I’ve been to Denver every year for the last 5 for work
Posted by calij81, Fri Apr-23-21 12:49 AM
I’m not fan of Denver and found it boring.

I have a friend who moved there with her husband for work and she hated it. She called it Menver because it was a lot of white guys that liked to just have “bro dates” that consisted of just going hiking and out to breweries.

City topography is as flat as a white girls ass but you can get to the base of the Rockies fairly easy and quick.
13431117, this post is hilarious
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Apr-27-21 08:41 AM